FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Dershowitz vs Arafat

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Dershowitz vs Arafat
Mishei
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2785

posted 03 September 2002 10:13 PM      Profile for Mishei     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So here is the latest from Alan Dershowitz. He wants to put Arafat on trial. Discuss.

Put Arafat on trial

josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 03 September 2002 10:29 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The problem is you can choose you enemies, or your adversaries. I agree that the Palestinians have several more attractive leaders than Arafat, and after some thirty years I'm really sick of looking at the guy, but if that's who they want to be their leader, that's who Israel will have to deal with.

Besides, given Israel's assasination policy, I don't think you want to go down the road of putting leaders on trial. Not to mention Sharon's role in Qiyba in 1953 and Shabra and Shatila in 1982, and Shamir's role in the Stern gang.

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mimichekele
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1351

posted 03 September 2002 10:41 PM      Profile for Mimichekele   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He (Arafat) has already been officially indicted in Belgium under that country's universal jurisdiction law, the same law under which Sharon was indicted. A court decision earlier this year however ruled that Sharon, and by extension, other accused leaders, were beyond the reach of Belgian law.

As well, the International Court of Justice (not to be confused with the newly created International Criminal Court) ruled on February 14, 2002, that Belgium would not be permitted to prosecute a foreign government minister for war crimes because representatives of foreign governments are entitled to diplomatic immunity. This ruling also obviously applies to other countries besides Belgium. The case involved a Congolese foreign minister accused of genocidal actions against Tutsis.

It seems that, despite overwhelming evidence against people like Arafat and other world leaders, they cannot be tried while still in power.

It also appears that the threat of prosecution of world leaders for crimes against humanity and war crimes ONCE THEY LEAVE POWER has not served as much of a deterrent.

Should Arafat be tried? Maybe, in an ideal world, no leader - Arafat, Bush, Kabila, Sharon, the Burmese generals, Blair, the EU president, etc. - should be beyond the reach of the law while still in power. Under our current international legal system, they are.

[ September 05, 2002: Message edited by: Mimichekele ]

From: Toronto - but I'd prefer being back in Montreal spotting Nazis | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 04 September 2002 12:49 AM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll be the first to commend the trial of Arafat, as long as the trial of Kissinger comes first.
From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
TommyPaineatWork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2956

posted 04 September 2002 03:42 AM      Profile for TommyPaineatWork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All I know for sure is that in a contest of who can fit the most pool balls in his mouth between Dershowitz and Arafat, poor old Yassir stands no chance.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca