FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Call 911, hospital says

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Call 911, hospital says
Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 03 September 2002 12:15 AM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nanaimo Regional General Hospital is promising to investigate why an injured man at the emergency room entrance was told to phone 911 for help.

Dee Boyd drove her husband Peter to hospital after he fell and dislocated his shoulder inside a bank last week. Bank customers got him into the car and once at the hospital, she ran inside for help.

She said she spoke to a receptionist and then a nurse, saying her injured husband was in the car and needed help to get into the emergency room.

"They told me to use the pay phone and dial 911 for an ambulance," said Boyd

[...]

quote:
"I was getting absolutely furious sitting there waiting, the car was hot -- it was 30 degrees, hotter than hell and I could see the wheelchairs leaning against the hospital. You know they were 30 feet away and I was hurting.

"So these two [paramedics], a guy and a girl, showed up after about half an hour and they were sort of wondering why the hell they were called. I said just get one of those wheelchairs and push me into it and get me into the hospital."

The province

This is just not good news. I'm wondering is there some perverted Health Canada or VIHA policy about not treating people unless they can pull themselves into the hospital, or just lazy individual(s)?

Either way it pisses me off.

[ September 03, 2002: Message edited by: Flowers By Irene ]

From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 03 September 2002 02:18 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I couldn't believe this either when I read it. Are they that silted up and bureaucratic that they can't figure out someone's telling the truth about an emerg patient?

I hope the snot who said "call 911" gets a rude firing.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisha
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 387

posted 03 September 2002 03:40 AM      Profile for Trisha     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is unbelievable. There's a shortage of ambulance access everywhere and they are expected to go to hospitals to assist people who are already there because there are no people available on the hospital payroll to assist? To make it worse, this couple may have to pay for the ambulance call. I know in Ontario a disabled person doesn't have to pay but I'm not sure if it still applies in B.C. It's even more scary that no medical person went out to check on his condition. Add to that the insult from Lianne Peterson that indicates this action might be appropriate. How can it be appropriate to have a person sitting in a car for half-an-hour in the kind of pain a dislocated shoulder causes? How can it be appropriate to have anybody needing any kind of care in that position? Is it going to take someone to die right outside the emergency room doors to stop this kind of thing?
From: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 03 September 2002 08:59 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That IS unbelievable. At our local hospital emergency room, every time I've gone there, a security guard (or maybe he's an attendant, I don't know) is always standing right near the door when a car pulls up, and he (it's always been a man when I've seen him) usually opens the door and will come out and help with the car door and bring over a wheelchair if it looks like someone can't walk inside themselves.

I certainly HOPE they're investigating it.

BTW, I didn't think Lianne Peterson was insulting about it. She didn't say that it might have been appropriate. She said that she would have to see the results of the investigation before she would comment about the appropriateness of it. I think that was smart of her not to make comments before she heard all sides of the story.

[ September 03, 2002: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 03 September 2002 10:31 AM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just an opinion here but I think it would be fair for the cost if any for the amulance and EMTs should be paid for by the scmuck who told them to call 911.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca