FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Labour Day

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Labour Day
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 02 September 2002 08:35 AM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Happy Labour Day everyone!

Keep fighting the good fight.

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 02 September 2002 11:08 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In spite of everything ... ... yes, Many Happier Returns.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 02 September 2002 11:48 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, it's Labour Day, isn't it? I've been between semesters, so one day tends to run into another.

Happy Labour Day everyone! I'll be celebrating by cleaning my house. Sigh. But at least I won't be going shopping at Walmart or whomever else might be oppressing their minimum wage slaves today.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 02 September 2002 12:15 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And I plan to get a bicycle Happy Labor/Labour Day to Canadians and Americans alike. I dunno about the rest of the world...
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 02 September 2002 12:28 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, everywhere else May Day is Labour Day.

Do Labour Councils anywhere in "English" Canada still celebrate Labour Day (September) as a day of militant action and protest? Here that is all on May Day, and Labour Day is simply a day off, though sometimes the different labour confederations (CSN, FTQ, CSQ) do issue press releases about labour rights.

Hoping one day Walmart and McDonald's can get organised!!!

Would anyone at Babble know if any Walmarts outside North America are organised? I know that they were very pissed off at having to apply the much more stringent labour legislation when they opened stores in Germany, for example.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
rbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 582

posted 02 September 2002 04:16 PM      Profile for rbil     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Labour Day" was promoted by corporations/bourgeois governments to counter the real labour's day - May 1st. That's why they've been good enuf to give us a holiday.

I treat this "Labour Day" as a sham and certainly don't celebrate labour on this day. It's just a good day to go shopping for the Labour Day Bargains.

Cheers,
Rene

From: IRC: irc.bcwireless.net JOIN: #linuxtalk | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
josh
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2938

posted 02 September 2002 05:14 PM      Profile for josh     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
True. But ya gotta deal with the cards you've been dealt.

In the U.S. they starting calling May 1 "law day" in the 1950s.

[ September 02, 2002: Message edited by: josh ]

From: the twilight zone between the U.S. and Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 02 September 2002 05:33 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But it is important to remember that the May Day - Labour Day holiday comes from the "Heartland of America" - the Haymarket Riots in Chicago, and not from some Stalinist Kommissar who wanted to parade tanks around.

(Of course, needless to say May Day goes back much further in many traditions as the start of the "fertile" part of the Spring...)

meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 02 September 2002 06:04 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like rabble's Labour Day icon

Happy Labour Day, everyone!

Today, I have to tidy up, and get organized for school, tomorrow. They don't call it Labour Day because it's the start of something effortless and relaxing...

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 02 September 2002 06:22 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Took the kids to the Sask Federation of Labour's BBQ today. Was plenty fun. Happy Labour Day to all!
From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
radiorahim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2777

posted 03 September 2002 12:08 AM      Profile for radiorahim     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
25-30,000 folks marched in Toronto today...there's nothing "unmilitant" about this parade...and every year it just gets bigger.

If you're in Toronto, why not join the parade instead of watching the non-press coverage on TV.

From: a Micro$oft-free computer | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 03 September 2002 03:33 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I found a decent article about the Toronto Labour Day march at the Toronto Star website. No coverage whatsoever in our media in Montreal (or in the Glob). Don't believe there has been such a large Labour Day march in quite a while.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca