FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Environmental Article Archive

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Environmental Article Archive
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 17 June 2002 06:50 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wanna try something. I would like this thread to be the environmental article reference thread. This doesn't have to be doom-and-gloom environmental thread, just an article you may have read, or use in a babble debate, and you would post it here.

I can't force anyone to link here, I doubt this will work, but I just want to experiment (and, if I'm paying enough attention, I'll transfer articles here). If people do post, all's I ask is that it follow this format:

Quick article "about" title:

quote:
Pertinent quote.

Link (one thing I ask is that you use the "print article" or "email" interent addresses on certain daily newspapers (like the Globe & Mail or National Post), so the link will still work after x days) with headline. (sorry, no dummy link, heehee)

I'll try two:

Alaska's thaw:

quote:
It's scary what's going on," Mr. Perletti said. "I never realized the extent of global warming, but we're living it now. I worry about how it will affect my children."

Mr. Perletti, an insurance agent, said some insurers no longer sold fire policies to Kenai Peninsula homeowners in some areas surrounded by dead spruce.

Another homeowner, Larry Rude, has cut down a few trees but has decided to take his chances at the house he owns near Anchor Point. Mr. Rude says he no longer recognizes Alaska weather.

Alaska, No Longer So Frigid, Starts to Crack, Burn and Sag

Water worries in the U.S:

quote:
For four years, the governors of Georgia, Alabama and Florida have been trying to negotiate a joint water-use plan. They keep failing, and on Monday, their latest deadline, they will probably fail again.

"I don't know what's going to happen," says Harold Reheis, director of the environmental-protection division of Georgia's Natural Resources Department. "We won't reach agreement on a final formula. We haven't closed the gaps yet." If negotiations break down, the U.S. Supreme Court could end up deciding the matter.

Everywhere, the United States is running out of water. Aquifers are being drained and rivers tapped faster than they can replenish themselves. Communities that once took for granted limitless supplies of fresh water are being warned that supplies are finite and even precarious.

Unquenchable: Why are Canadians so worried about their water? Because the nation to our south is so rich and thirsty. To see just how tapped out the U.S. has become and what is being done to solve the problem, JOHN IBBITSON travels to a dry spot: rapidly expanding Atlanta

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 17 June 2002 11:50 AM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, here's Michael Pollan, from the New York Times Magazine.

Power Steer: the biography of a cow

quote:
Eating meat, something I have always enjoyed doing, has become problematic in recent years. Though beef consumption spiked upward during the flush 90's, the longer-term trend is down, and many people will tell you they no longer eat the stuff. Inevitably they'll bring up mad-cow disease (and the accompanying revelation that industrial agriculture has transformed these ruminants into carnivores -- indeed, into cannibals). They might mention their concerns about E. coli contamination or antibiotics in the feed. Then there are the many environmental problems, like groundwater pollution, associated with ''Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations.'' (The word ''farm'' no longer applies.) And of course there are questions of animal welfare. How are we treating the animals we eat while they're alive, and then how humanely are we ''dispatching'' them, to borrow an industry euphemism?

The environmental and other effects of the modern beef industry, in the form of the life story of a steer

[ June 17, 2002: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 18 June 2002 12:35 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
'Wild rhetoric' of costs of fighting global climate change needs to be countered
quote:
"The wild rhetoric about enslaving the poor and bankrupting the economy to do climate policy is fallacious, even if one accepts the conventional economic models," Schneider told New Scientist. He says the economic arguments need to be put in context, and called on climate scientists to take a tougher stand against the doom-mongers who say action would be too costly.

Two years to save the world

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: clockwork ]

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 18 June 2002 12:40 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I actually posted this before, but...

Pollution knows no boundaries

quote:
But new research indicates that pollution from factories and power stations, especially in North America and Europe, has exacerbated drought in countries south of the Sahara.

Revealed: how the smoke stacks of America have brought the world's worst drought to Africa

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 18 June 2002 09:49 AM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My only suggestion for today, clockwork, is that since archive-type articles presumably aren't time-sensitive, you ask audra to move this to "books and ideas."
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 26 June 2002 04:12 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, if audra wants to move it, I don't care.

We aren't letting the "biological carrying capacity" replenish itself

quote:
"We are preparing for ecological bankruptcy," said one of the study's authors, Mathis Wackernagel of the Oakland-based ecological think tank Redefining Progress. The paper was written by an international who's who of ecologists and economists, including the conservationists Edward Wilson of Harvard University and Norman Myers of Oxford University.

Earth faces supply crisis, study finds

I didn't see the article on the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences site but this, I assume, is what it refers to: Ecological footprint per nation

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 13 August 2002 01:07 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess this was a bust. Screw the formality:

quote:
LONDON - A three-kilometre thick cloud of toxic pollution looming over south Asia could kill hundreds of thousands of people prematurely and cause deadly flooding and drought, according to a United Nations study.

Asian smog cloud threatens millions: UN

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 13 August 2002 11:14 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
"They're predicting conflicts between communities over water and rights to water because there will be a shortage of potable water in Atlantic Canada. These are incredible things, these are Third World kinds of things happening here in Canada, and we're doing it to ourselves."

Report warns of threat to Canada's fresh water supplies

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 14 August 2002 05:52 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The realization that Tokyo is becoming a vast "heat island" is behind the boom in roof gardens. Here, centuries of gradual climate change are telescoping into decades.

"Over the last century, Tokyo temperatures have increased five times as fast as global warming," said Takehiro Mikami, a professor of climatology at Tokyo Metropolitan University. While the world's average mean temperature has increased by one degree Fahrenheit since 1900, Tokyo's has increased by 5.2 degrees.

'Heat Island' Tokyo Is in Global Warming's Vanguard

quote:
For the Northern Hemisphere, the first half of this year was the warmest in 143 years, Britain's Meteorological Office announced on Aug. 1.

Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 01 September 2002 04:06 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.whoi.edu/home/about/whatsnew_abruptclimate.html

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is reporting that there's evidence that the ocean currents that transport warm water to Eastern North America and Western Europe may be on the edge of shutting down due to melting of Arctic ice. In short, we could be screwed, big-time, and very quickly too.

"Global warming could actually lead to a big chill in some parts of the world. If the atmosphere continues to warm, it could soon trigger a dramatic and abrupt cooling throughout the North Atlantic region?where, not incidentally, some 60 percent of the world?s economy is based.

When I say ?dramatic,? I mean: Average winter temperatures could drop by 5 degrees Fahrenheit over much of the United States, and by 10 degrees in the northeastern United States and in Europe. That?s enough to send mountain glaciers advancing down from the Alps. To freeze rivers and harbors and bind North Atlantic shipping lanes in ice. To disrupt the operation of ground and air transportation. To cause energy needs to soar exponentially. To force wholesale changes in agricultural practices and fisheries. To change the way we feed our populations. In short, the world, and the world economy, would be drastically different.

And when I say ?abrupt,? I mean: These changes could happen within a decade, and they could persist for hundreds of years. You could see the changes in your lifetime, and your grandchildren?s grandchildren will still be confronting them."

From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Apemantus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1845

posted 01 September 2002 06:46 PM      Profile for Apemantus        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
This doesn't have to be doom-and-gloom environmental thread

Yes, I cannot wait for that "environment improving" article to be posted here!!!

Whazzup?
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1471

posted 06 September 2002 11:32 AM      Profile for Whazzup?     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hot and Bothered in the New York Times

quote:
The Times' assertions baffled professor Gerd Wendler and his staff at the Alaska Climate Research Center. In response, Wendler posted to the Internet a data analysis of mean annual temperatures at four widely dispersed weather stations in Alaska from 1971 to 2000. The mean temperature increase for Anchorage was 2.26° F and for Nome 2.28° F. The two other locations were Barrow and Fairbanks. The Times had noted the appearance of mosquitos in Barrow "where they once were nonexistent" and the rescue of "hunters trapped on breakaway ice at a time of year when such things were once unheard of."

But while Wendler's data show that Barrow had the highest mean temperature change, it was still well below the Times' estimate, at 4.16° F.

From: Under the Rubble | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca