FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » our new leader

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: our new leader
beproud2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2040

posted 19 February 2002 12:50 PM      Profile for beproud2        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
anybody see the news conference last night? Wayne Greztky got mad at the chezk team and the US media among others.

quote:
Am I hot?" Gretzky said. "Yeah -- I'm tired of people taking shots at Canadian hockey. If we do something like that, we're hooligans.

"Americans love our poor start. Nobody wants us to win but our players and our loyal fans. We're very proud -- I guarantee you we'll be standing at the end.

"They should remember that there's payback in this game, and it won't be pretty."

How bout that for balls. I would vote greztky for PM. He is proud to be a Canadian is an excellent communicator and everyone in Canada loves him. He represets what we are about and isn't afraid to stand up for it.

He would be a perfect fit for the system meades was talking about. He isn't here to steer us but to represent us and rally us togather to be strong and proud. There are tonnes of economic advisors that could help him in that way. He could be the leader of people that we have all been waiting for.

Greztky for PM, Greztky for PM... yeaaaaaaaa come on! yell it now! greztky for PM! woooo hooooo

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 19 February 2002 01:01 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but Reagan was a Great Communicator (TM) as well, and look what that got the USA. $5 trillion in debt and a society that's becoming atomized.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
beproud2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2040

posted 19 February 2002 01:04 PM      Profile for beproud2        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://makeashorterlink.com/?K2D213F6

a link to the article

wow that is a big link. Regan is still one of the most popular presidents ever. I am not sure the specifics of it all but I still say the great one for PM

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: beproud2 ]

Debra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 117

posted 19 February 2002 01:09 PM      Profile for Debra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey beproud2 can you go to make a shorter link and that will fix up the side scroll. Thanks
From: The only difference between graffiti & philosophy is the word fuck... | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 19 February 2002 01:12 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My basic point is that populists need to be clear about just where their policy stance is as well as just being able to get peoples' attention.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
beproud2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2040

posted 19 February 2002 01:16 PM      Profile for beproud2        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can agree with you there dr conway.
Rabid Gerbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2066

posted 19 February 2002 01:22 PM      Profile for Rabid Gerbil        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is a great deal of similarity between the way Gretzki defended his team and how Dubya defended his country.

The irony is in the fact that when Gretzky was on the ice he was a skinny non fighter. Now that he has a big sheet of pexiglass and a three-thousand dollar suit between him and the big boys on the opposing team, he is suddenly Mr. tough guy.

Oh well, I guess it's easier to be tough when you have players/soldiers to do your fighting for you - just ask Dubya.

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: Rabid Gerbil ]

MJ
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 441

posted 19 February 2002 01:33 PM      Profile for MJ     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, God forbid someone should say something forcefully without also making a threat to personally pound faces into hamburger.

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: MJ ]

beproud2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2040

posted 19 February 2002 01:34 PM      Profile for beproud2        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am afraid I will have to disagree with you on that point Gabril.

Greztky for his whole carear has fought against stick work and dirty hockey. He played the game the way it was to be played. He is mad that the opposing chezk team cross checked and speared theron fleury. No matter if you are a fighter or not, this is not somehting that you can be pleased about happening to one of your players.

I am not sure who Dubya is but I think Greztky is a fine person. He has character and he has rarley shown this type of anger publically towards anyone. He is a very very fine gentlemen in almost all aspects. You would have to admit this.

Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 19 February 2002 01:39 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So the rodent knows nothing about hockey either.

Gretzky never had to fight. Fighting would have been a stupid thing for him to do since he could score like no one else. Go have a look at the stats and see how many goals and assist he got during penalties.

I watched the game last night and he was right. If we or the American team had speared anyone or cross checked someone the way Theron was in the lower back, the shit would have hit the fan faster than a French skating judge hits the road.

The Fins should be easy to manage on Wednesday.

Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 19 February 2002 01:39 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
He played the game the way it was to be played.

Boring as hell?

From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
beproud2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2040

posted 19 February 2002 01:39 PM      Profile for beproud2        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
what is with Canadians?
As soon as one of our own stand up for us we beat him down and mock him. We are talking about one of the biggest gentlemen in canadian history. Noone takes into consideration that for him to have a public outburst of passion and anger that something would be wrong. As ususal we cower and bring him back down with the rest of us. Who is he to speak up and bring attention to us!

really!

I thought this would bring a few of us togather on the same side but I see the company that I am in!

Von Media Boy--- did you ever see him play? no boring by anymeans. very exciting. Watching someone score 92 goals and 212 points over an 80 game schudule is not very boring. Greztky has more assists then the next person after him has points. (Gordie Howe) add to that he has the most goals ever scored too, 892? something like that. To say the least he was far from boring. but I must say I like fighting too.

Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 19 February 2002 01:42 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Get rid of the refs. Get rid of the helmets and pads. Put steel spikes on the puck and the sticks. Wrap the players' fists with tin-foil. Then you'd have a good sport.
From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 19 February 2002 01:42 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, Gretzky benefitted during his career from the presence of enforcers who protected him from big hits. He still suffered from cross-checks, boarding, and the like.

But, while I don't know about PM, he's at least an infinitely better choice for Olympic GM than Bobby "at heart I'm still a toothless thug from the Broad Street Bullies" Clarke, cursed be his name.

Edited to add:

quote:
As soon as one of our own stand up for us we beat him down and mock him.

Don't worry, beproud2, that's just our would-be dictator, whose views on hockey are well-known around here. Take no notice.

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 19 February 2002 02:11 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
As soon as one of our own stand up for us we beat him down and mock him.

Awe that just ain't true. Sure there are some of these "so called" Canadians that feel the need to jump on The Great One, but they are just Flames fans that never got over the ass whoppins they got in the battle of Alberta when Edmonton was building the dynasty. Sour grapes is all.

All teams have muscle to keep the cheap shots off of the stars. It's part of the game. And if you want to know, it is a part that helps put a bum every eighteen inches around the rink. Some of them reach a high level of fame than some good hockey players. For those on the doorstep of gezzerhood, Dave (Cement Head) Semenko standing in front of the Bruins bench after kicking ass and finding no one interested in stepping up to be next.

Gretzki opened up a lot of doors for hockey players and the sport itself. I think what he said lastnight was right on the money. Not only for our hockey team but our country as well.

And he's right about payback being a bitch. Just watch.

Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 19 February 2002 02:12 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Get rid of the refs. Get rid of the helmets and pads. Put steel spikes on the puck and the sticks. Wrap the players' fists with tin-foil. Then you'd have a good sport.

You need to watch Hurling.

Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 19 February 2002 02:14 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That the one with the cobra?
beproud2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2040

posted 19 February 2002 02:15 PM      Profile for beproud2        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
shout it now... greztky for PM, Greztky for PM..yeahhh come on now... shout it... Greztky for Pm, Greztky for PM!!!!!
Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 19 February 2002 02:19 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Booze, clubs and wooden balls.
minimal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2222

posted 19 February 2002 02:23 PM      Profile for minimal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can go along with Gretzky for pm or for any other political figure, as long as he keeps living in the great USA and keeps telling us what a great Canadian he is. Don't most Canadians really want to be Americans? And what's the best way to accomplish that? Just move down to sunny California and proclaim to anyone who cares to listen that you're a great Canadian. He was a great hockey player, sure, but hockey isn't life, or is it?
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 19 February 2002 02:32 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SW: My mistake. I was thinking of shirling, a game from an episode of Kids In The Hall.
Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 19 February 2002 03:07 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I can go along with Gretzky for pm or for any other political figure, as long as he keeps living in the great USA and keeps telling us what a great Canadian he is.

When has he ever said that? Many other have said that about him, but I think that is different isn't it? I have heard him say that he is a proud Canadian but never a great Canadian. Not to mention that he finished his career as a player in the U.S. where he had lived for quite some time. He also makes his living there but as it is with most people working abroad, his home is Canada and this is where his heart is. I think that is pretty plain to see.

Trinitty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 826

posted 19 February 2002 03:12 PM      Profile for Trinitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm with you beProud, I love the guy.

I read his biography, lots of other hockey books and grew up watching him play, and you're right SW, they've gotta be Flames fans, or they just hate everything with organized teams like mediaboy.

And no, I don't hold it against him for living in the States. He couldn't leave his house here. He flies all over the place representing us and hockey and doing charity events, spends tonnes of time in Canada, his parents and family live here, but his wife is an american citizen, and compromises must be made in marriage.

I've been following politics all my life, and I can say that he couldn't do a worse job than the rest of them.

I hope we meet them in the final.

beproud2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2040

posted 19 February 2002 04:07 PM      Profile for beproud2        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
shout it now... greztky for PM, Greztky for PM..yeahhh come on now... shout it... Greztky for Pm, Greztky for PM!!!!!

haha now yes it is true he represents us where ever he goes. his wife is an american citizen, he did not ask to be traded to the LA kings. So he makes his living there, big deal. He has not tried to say he is anything he is not. It is what people say about him and what he represents. No matter where I live I will be canadian I think the same can hold true for Greztky. If someone offered me a million buck to live in Lativa you bet I would go! Its all how people perceive him and how he handles it. He handles everything perfectly I think, well as close to perfect as you can get.

I don't see him making decisions on things without being informed and everything he does he does it with passion and regard to what he loves, which in this case is canada. He is also not afraid to stand up for what he believes in. Last night is my case in hand.

Much more then I can say about the leaders we have now. Internationally what have they done? Where have the lead? I see lots of places where they have followed or where they have been pushed but no where have we taken the lead and did something on the international stage. And if we do by some strange reason exzert our force or what we think and someone speaks up what do we do? Back pedal as fast as we can. I bet you won't see Greztky doing that.

shelby9
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2193

posted 19 February 2002 04:21 PM      Profile for shelby9     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HEY!!!! I take exception to they gotta be a Flames Fans comment... I'm a Flames fan, and I loved Wayne! Still think he's a hockey god! And he was absolutely right last night.
Gawd forbid a Canadian stand up for their beliefs! All those Lefties out there get panicky when that happens! People might actually listen. EEK!!
And sure, it might have been out of character to see a Canadian angry on international television - but I think it's stupid to think that we were just going to take all that crap lying down! Too bad - WE ARE CANADIAN, and WE GOT BALLS.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 19 February 2002 04:34 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just a gentle correction, shelby9... the two posters to have criticized Gretzky on this thread are, to put it as mildly as possible, not "lefties."
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 19 February 2002 04:50 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At least, they haven't admitted it to themselves yet.
shelby9
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2193

posted 19 February 2002 04:50 PM      Profile for shelby9     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was not alluding to the notion that those who criticize Gretzky were Lefties. I was saying that when Canadians stand up for thier beliefs and make some noise, Lefties IN GENERAL get panicky.
Rabid Gerbil
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2066

posted 19 February 2002 04:55 PM      Profile for Rabid Gerbil        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What about the poor poor man that cross checked Fleury? What about his feelings. Maybe he had a bad childhood. Maybe he was abused. Maybe he sufferred a momentary lapse of reason due to mental exaustion. Maybe his father beat him as a child. Maybe his cat died and he never got over it.

He needs your compassion, understanding and support, not your condemnation.

You people are knee jerk reactionaries, no better than a raging lynch mob. You should all be ashamed. I expect such mean spiritedness from the fascist neo-cons, but not from the compassionate left.

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: Rabid Gerbil ]

Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 19 February 2002 05:06 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
What about the poor poor man that cross checked Fleury?

Save it for next week when he's picking his teeth out of Theron's stick when the Islanders play the Rangers. Yes yes, you will have plenty of time to sob over that sorry fellows state of affairs soon enough.

MJ
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 441

posted 19 February 2002 05:22 PM      Profile for MJ     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
What about the poor poor man that cross checked Fleury? What about his feelings...

The ole satire skills need a bit of improvin' there, RG. Keep trying though, practice (eventually) makes perfect.

Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 19 February 2002 05:24 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
practice (eventually) makes perfect.

While this is generally true there are some that no mater how much they practice they will remain bush league material at best.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 19 February 2002 09:26 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh well, I guess it's easier to be tough when you have players/soldiers to do your fighting for you - just ask Dubya.

You had a gem here, RG. Too bad it's been buried among all the mud.

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 19 February 2002 10:37 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rabid is that really you that said that? By gum we are rubbing off on you.
From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca