FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » This Could Kill babble

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: This Could Kill babble
agent007
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1189

posted 18 February 2002 12:46 PM      Profile for agent007     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bad news for babblers who babble on their employers' time and computers ...
Read and heed!

From: Niagara Falls ON | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 18 February 2002 01:14 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tsktsktsk... What galls me the most about that article is that the guy who makes the spying software feebly attempts to justify the fact that he's selling it instead of just refusing to make or support it if he feels badly enough about it.

Bleah.

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 February 2002 01:16 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
babblers would never do that.
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 18 February 2002 01:21 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have no problem with this kind of software, as long as employees are informed that it's being used.
From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 18 February 2002 01:23 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
babblers would never do that.

Well... hardly ever?

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
sherpafish
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1568

posted 18 February 2002 02:23 PM      Profile for sherpafish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
umm... (looks over his shoulder and runs.....)
From: intra-crainial razor dust | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 18 February 2002 02:27 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's kind of short sighted.

My employer took this tack a long time ago.

I told them that was fine with me, it's their time, and even if it's on lunch or break, it's thier machine so they get to say what I can and can't do with it.

BUT

I also added that it's conceivable that one day, it might be advantageous for them to have me do work at home. I made it clear that MY machine was bought for recreation, and under no circumstances will it ever be used for "WORK".

They said I had a pissy attitude.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 18 February 2002 07:23 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Bad news for babblers who babble on their employers' time and computers ...

I've never like references to "their time"- If someone ever scolded me on the job for doing something on "their time" I'd probably say something like "Hey, buddy, do you know why it's called the 'labour' market? It's because I'm selling you my labour not my time! All you have to worry about is wether I get the job done, and if so, it's none of your damn business what I do with the rest of MY time!". grrrrrrrr....

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
vaudree
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1331

posted 18 February 2002 08:49 PM      Profile for vaudree     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Meades, you have no idea what bosses are like. You should get a hint if you realize that they complain every time the minimum wage goes up, that they will over estimate your wages for safre because they want the government to pay to substidize a new worker in the guise of giving them a career, and will tell you there is something extra on your paycheck and it turns out the reason is that the government it taking a few less pennies off your check. You know when a customer leaves without paying for a meal that it is the waitress that has to pay for it and NOT the employer. If you mention to an employer that it doesn't seem quite fair they will tell the person that they should be ashamed of trying to hold the employer responsible for your "mistake."

Most jobs don't even provide a lunch hour and some only one paid 15 minute break.

From: Just outside St. Boniface | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 19 February 2002 04:27 AM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, this paying for time business is a dinosaur that should not have survived the nineteenth century. That's why it's called wage slavery. Because your employer owns you for that time.

It would probably be better if all work were salary or contract.

From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 19 February 2002 12:32 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Salary has its own problems tho, in that it spells U-N-P-A-I-D O-V-E-R-T-I-M-E.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca