babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Canada is finally drawing the line???

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Canada is finally drawing the line???
beproud2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2040

posted 18 February 2002 12:08 PM      Profile for beproud2        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have read on a couple of websites and the Ottawa Citizen as well about Canada finally drawing the line with the US.

I have said it all along that we just need to take a stand. We are more valuable to the US then what we think.

The question is will they move unilateraly? I would hope not but with the backing of other allies they may not. Russia and Germany already have publically opposed anymore military action involving Iraq.

So that is Russia, Canada, and Germany as well the UK was cool to the idea.

Altho I am somewhat split on wether or not we should take action against Iraq (we should of did it right in the first place) i AM glad that Chretien has had the balls to take a stand, altho I noticed he waited til he had russia at his side.

meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 18 February 2002 07:28 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Chrétien didn't make any stand that I know of. In fact, he's still piping out that "we'll see" line, which translates to "I want Canadians to think I have a backbone, even though I have no intention of going against orders from Washington... or Bay & Wall street, for that matter...".

I wish I could be as optimistic as you

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 18 February 2002 07:59 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, for what it's worth, John Manley made this statement today:

quote:
Deputy Prime Minister John Manley announced Monday that Canada would be unwilling to expand the war against terrorism to Iraq without an international legal consensus, heightening the difference with Washington over the best way to handle Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.

I'm not optimistic about what said "international legal consensus" will entail, mind. But it's at least interesting.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Markbo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 124

posted 19 February 2002 12:52 AM      Profile for Markbo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
have read on a couple of websites and the Ottawa Citizen as well about Canada finally drawing the line with the US.

After the headlines reached the U.S. Condoleeza Rice phoned Chretien. Who then said that the headlines misrepresented his statements. He explained his exact words and said later she approved them.

Oooh sounds like some tough talk.

The media is just trying to make stories where they don't exist.

Spring Hope
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 417

posted 19 February 2002 11:32 AM      Profile for Spring Hope     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Key words around which Chretien can speak out of both sides of his mouth on this issue is "until we have more evidence".

How much manufactured CIA evidence do you think the PM needs to back Washington all the way?

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca