babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Berkeley sexuality class under fire

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Berkeley sexuality class under fire
Markbo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 124

posted 18 February 2002 11:50 AM      Profile for Markbo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Berkeley sexuality class under fire

Where do we draw the limits for course subjects and content in University?

[ February 18, 2002: Message edited by: Markbo ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 February 2002 11:59 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Those crazy Californians, eh?

The only limitation any self-respecting university would put on courses offered would be the free play of the marketplace of ideas, IMHO.

If these courses are of no intellectual value, and that becomes known, they will vanish. You're a free-marketeer, are you not, Markbo?

beproud2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2040

posted 18 February 2002 12:00 PM      Profile for beproud2        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hmm wow that is a hard one to say. Here is an idea.. we don't draw a line but we ensure that these courses are outlined. I am one that believes that if people want to learn it then teach it, whatever it maybe. Mind you, as long as it is not hurting anyone. People at this age and intelligence level I feel should be able to make decisions on what they want to learn by themselves.
Again the only stipualtion I would have is that the students know exzactly what they are signing up for.

dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 983

posted 18 February 2002 12:11 PM      Profile for dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Again the only stipualtion I would have is that the students know exzactly what they are signing up for.

I agree.

My personal opinions of the course aside, as long as the students are informed about what they may encounter during any point in the class, I don't have any problem with what is taught. The occasions in question were not manditory and the students could have left at any point if they became uncomfortable.

It's difficult to comment on the actual value of such a class based solely on the incidents described in the article.

From: pleasant, unemotional conversation aids digestion | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 18 February 2002 01:28 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Geez. Think Chelsea Clinton's regretting her decision to transer from Berkeley to Oxford?
From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
agent007
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1189

posted 18 February 2002 01:35 PM      Profile for agent007     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why should Chelsea have regrets? (She had competent home-schooling ...)
From: Niagara Falls ON | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca