babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Cloned Cat -- Cute!

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Cloned Cat -- Cute!
agent007
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1189

posted 14 February 2002 05:15 PM      Profile for agent007     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

What the world needs now ...

From: Niagara Falls ON | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 14 February 2002 05:16 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
awwww!
From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 14 February 2002 05:19 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As much as I love a photo of a cute kitten (and I do!), showing pictures of cute kittens seems like a pretty sleazy way of convincing the public that cloning's a super-duper idea.

Perhaps it will backfire. When this kitten starts having the same health problem's other cloned animals have suffered from, people might get a little miffed.

"It's ok to do hideous genetic experiments on sheep and rats. They're ugly. But playing Dr. Frankenstein with a cute wittle kitten?! That's monstrous!"

From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 14 February 2002 05:24 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey cloned cats, what a great idea. we sure need some more cats in this world. I wonder how long till we can clone a Mike Harris party or even better, an Atilia the Hun riot squad!

Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 14 February 2002 05:26 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
we sure need some more cats in this world

That's a damned good point. If ya want a cute witten kitten there are plenty waiting to be adopted at your local Humane Society.

After all, if it doesn't look exactly like the animal it was cloned from, what's the point?

From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 15 February 2002 09:04 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Right on, SW and V von m'boy. I thought I was gonna have to write a boring lecture on this topic, but you've done it better.

We have already "created" an oversupply of all domesticated animals, and now, spoiled, wasteful brats that we are, we treat huge numbers of them as waste and vermin. Get your cats and dogs neutered or spayed; don't clone them, for God's sake. Adopt if you can; donate to an SPCA or Humane Society or animal-rescue organization otherwise.

Animals aren't toys or accessories. And scientists are supposed to be using their skills and funds to do nobler work than this.

nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 15 February 2002 09:44 AM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remember the best line from 'The Stepford Wives'?
"Because we can."

From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 15 February 2002 10:41 AM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Speaking of cats, Milhouse is having a grand old time on the new hardwood floor. I gave him a marble to play with, and he's slip-slidin' all over the place! Maybe he'll actually get some exercise and lose some weight. He's a fat bastard, he is.
Trespasser
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1204

posted 15 February 2002 10:48 AM      Profile for Trespasser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This Texas company actually did this so they could sell the service to people who want to clone their beloved pets... A guy from the company was interviewed on Today show this morning and he was saying that, "although it sounds counter-intuitive, the option of cloning one's pets will decrease the overall number of cats and dogs."
Trinitty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 826

posted 15 February 2002 10:51 AM      Profile for Trinitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is SICK. 'Cause we can means we should. Just wait till it gets arthritis and can't walk at two, then we'll see how cute it is. Primates!! Why they hell couldn't have we evolved from dolphins instead?

What food are you feeding M'boy? Your kitty shouldn't be too overweight, even if he's in an apartment.

[ February 15, 2002: Message edited by: Trinitty ]

nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 15 February 2002 11:26 AM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The kitten in the picture looks exactly like the stray one i just adopted, who looks exactly like one of the garage-hostel cats.
Spooky!

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 15 February 2002 11:38 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah. I was gonna chime in before now, but forgot... anyway, saw a news article recently that says clones are apparently very susceptible to the aging process and they can't quite figure out why.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 15 February 2002 11:49 AM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He's on diet food. He gets 2/3 of a cup per day.
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 15 February 2002 12:15 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Knew it, knew it, knew it. Jerome is not on any diet. Svelte and agile. Doesn't need a marble. Maybe Milquetoast needs to go to the local gym and work out a wee bit.
From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trinitty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 826

posted 15 February 2002 12:18 PM      Profile for Trinitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry for prying M'boy, I'm an animal nutt, especially cats.

"Diet food", ie : kibble in a bag that says "diet" or "Lite" on it ? "Special" kibble recommended by a vet?

The reason most cats get over weight is because of the huge volumes of carbohydrates they're eating. They're pancreas is screaming because it's not meant to break down all of those complex sugars... thus they pack on fat, develop teeth problems, skin allergies, poop a lot, etc.

Go here for more info www.felinefuture.com

Cats should be eating very little carbs, they are obligate carnivores and have evolved over millions of years to eat and digest MEAT. Not corn, rice, chicken by-products, etc that makes up commercial "pet" food.

I'll quit ranting now.

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 15 February 2002 01:58 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cats should be out catching vermin. That keeps em' slim and trim.
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 15 February 2002 02:00 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cats should be out catching vermin. That keeps em' slim and trim.

It's the tapeworms they catch that keep 'em slim and trim.

Anna
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5

posted 15 February 2002 02:03 PM      Profile for Anna     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I was in a bar last night, and we were playing mix and match with newspaper headlines (sort of like magnet poetry for drunks) and I cut out the picture of this kitten because I thought, "cute! Kitten!" without even wondering why there was a picture of a kitten on the front page of the newspaper. Now I'm creeped out.
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 15 February 2002 02:04 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jerome ain't chasing pigs. A tapeworm would probably eat a rodent. Back to Biology I.
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 15 February 2002 02:15 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ironically, I steered clear of biology class because I didn't want to have to dissect a kitten.
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 15 February 2002 03:45 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't remember the crittur we dissected. I do remember the smell. Formaldehyde?

[ February 15, 2002: Message edited by: clersal ]

Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 15 February 2002 03:50 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In grade 10 advanced science we cut up a worm, a frog and a perch. I was pretty pissed off because the general students got to cut up a baby shark.

Grade 11 (or was it 12?) biology students had to cut up a foetal pig and a cat. There was NO way I was gonna cut up no cat. I KNEW I'd be crying my eyes out the second the teacher pulled the poor kitty out of the bucket of formaldehyde.

I'm kinda sensitive that way. Even the last scene in Breakfast at Tiffany's makes me cry, because of the cat.

Trinitty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 826

posted 15 February 2002 04:53 PM      Profile for Trinitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You just say that to pick up the babes, don't you?

I'm a cat lover too.

Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 15 February 2002 05:06 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ya know, I don't think "Hey babe, I cry at movies whenever there's a stray cat on the screen" would be a very good pick up line.
dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 983

posted 15 February 2002 05:11 PM      Profile for dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've heard worse!
From: pleasant, unemotional conversation aids digestion | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 15 February 2002 05:18 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The only pick-up line that ever worked for me: "Excuse me. I seem to have lost my phone number. Could I borrow yours?"
Trinitty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 826

posted 15 February 2002 05:20 PM      Profile for Trinitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Did it hurt?

What?

When you fell from heaven?

Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 15 February 2002 05:23 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"I'm 35, I'm unemployed and I live with my parents."
Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 15 February 2002 06:36 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm kinda sensitive that way. Even the last scene in Breakfast at Tiffany's makes me cry, because of the cat.

My favourite movie! I cry over the cat every time, too....

Seriously, though.... Cloning cats! Like there aren't too many uncared for cats in the world already.

Besides which, why would you want to clone a cat you've already got? Even if the old one dies, the new one still isn't the same cat, so it's not like you're replacing the old one. That's just mental.

Not that I don't love my cats... I have a 14 yr old tabby that I'm just going to be a mess over when he goes.... But I'm sensible enough to know that when he does, there will never be again another Gandalf-puss (aka the Dreaded Fang)....

From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 15 February 2002 06:40 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The cat line isn't bad at all. (lose the "Babe")

There was a time when i screened dates by dragging them to something like 'The Incredible Journey' (the first one - no smart-ass narration). No matter how many times i saw that flick, i'd lose it the minute the cat fell into the river and wouldn't stop crying until the final credits. If the guy sat there, stone-faced and embarrassed, the next time he called, i'd have the flu. If he got even a little misty, there was hope.

Second best pickup line: "Tomorrow's no good; i have to take my grandmother shopping... are you free Thursday?"

[ February 15, 2002: Message edited by: nonesuch ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca