babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Scientists develop artifical womb.

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Scientists develop artifical womb.
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 13 February 2002 03:15 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,648024,00.html
From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trinitty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 826

posted 13 February 2002 03:23 PM      Profile for Trinitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WOW!

That's pretty exciting. It's troublesome that some "experiments" would have to fail in order to develop this... but it's interesting.

I think it's silly to think that this would "eliminate" the need for women. Gimme a break. Same goes for cloning children from the woman's own cell, "eliminating" the need for men. This would cost plenty of dollars to do this.... sex and natural pregnancy is usually FREE. I doubt they'll go out of style.

dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 983

posted 13 February 2002 04:08 PM      Profile for dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh if only I were a far more eloquent writer than I am! I have so many problems with this that I don't know how to put it all in words.

So I'll start with the article itself:

quote:
'It may also turn out that artificial wombs provide safer environments than natural wombs which can be invaded by drugs and alcohol from a mother's body. Health insurance companies could actually insist that women opt for the artificial way.

As for the first part of this quote, I don't believe that we could ever create something that is better to carry a foetus. Dangers exist everywhere. They may be altered with a man-made womb but I do not believe there will be none.

For the second part of the quote, if other forms of artificial pregnancy (sorry not sure of proper terms here) are to be any indication, this procedure will be extremely expensive. Only wealthy parents would be able to afford such a procedure. Could this mean that health insurance companies would have the right to determine whether or not a woman is ‘eligible’ to have a child?

Even if you could afford this type of procedure, how many mothers out there can imagine a world where you were not allowed to carry your babies in your womb? Where insurance companies and for-profit agencies had the right to dictate or even influence such a thing?

The loss of the right to carry your baby in your own body. That IS frightening.

From: pleasant, unemotional conversation aids digestion | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 13 February 2002 07:27 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
O brave new world
That has such people in't!

From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca