FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Farewell to Princess Margret

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Farewell to Princess Margret
Debra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 117

posted 09 February 2002 09:47 AM      Profile for Debra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
News of her passing
From: The only difference between graffiti & philosophy is the word fuck... | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 09 February 2002 10:07 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, God, no ... Oh, I can't help it, but this breaks my heart. God bless her and keep her, difficult, bratty, brave woman stuck in the strangest imaginable situation that she was.

Read Gore Vidal on the subject of the real person stuck behind the headlines. She doesn't deserve the condescension she's bound to get from many sides. She was a bodacious broad who fought for a real life as best she could, given the hand she'd been dealt. She started narrow (how could she help it?); she progressed through self-destruction (how could she help it?); but she grew. To me, that counts ... and I am so sad now, so sad.

Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 09 February 2002 10:16 AM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, I at once thought of Gore Vidal's take on her in his book "Palimpsest".

Knowing Vidal's views, the fact she made a favorable impact on him speaks volumes in itself.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
cosmiccommunist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1933

posted 09 February 2002 08:02 PM      Profile for cosmiccommunist   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, whatta tragedy. A member of the parasitic Royal family has shrugged off this mortal coil. Im all tears. How many left to go?
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 09 February 2002 08:26 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well, I am sad because she was human being. I think death is always a tragedy because it often affects a countless number of people.

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: meades ]

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Debra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 117

posted 09 February 2002 09:24 PM      Profile for Debra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oh yeah, whatta tragedy. A member of the parasitic Royal family has shrugged off this mortal coil. Im all tears. How many left to go

Well isnt that special

From: The only difference between graffiti & philosophy is the word fuck... | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 09 February 2002 11:26 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Language matters. (Matters of language.)

Meades: tragedy, not trajedy. I'm sure that was a typo.

As for "shrugging off this mortal coil," there is some disagreement but the broad consensus is that "coil" here means "tumult" and so "mortal coil" means the bustle of the world. (Not saying you didn't know this, cosmiccommie.)

quote:

What dreames may come, When we haue shufflel'd off this mortall coile, Must giue vs pawse.

Ham. iii. i. 67

I think "shuffle" works better.

(No, that's not a typo.)

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 10 February 2002 12:42 AM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
oops! Thanks rasmus!
From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
vaudree
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1331

posted 10 February 2002 02:02 AM      Profile for vaudree     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am sad because her life (according to newsworld) was more pathetic than mine.

I remember the Kit Pearson book on evacuees and the heroine in the book remarking on the bravery of the much younger princess Margaret. There was a life some where before the parade of assholes - life is more than the idiots we slept with. But not according to CBC.

Was she not the brave little girl living in the castle as all around her was being bombed. What was GWB doing during the first hours after the second plane hit?

From: Just outside St. Boniface | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
cosmiccommunist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1933

posted 10 February 2002 02:30 PM      Profile for cosmiccommunist   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I stand corrected rasmus. Youre right, shuffled works better.
EarthMother-yes, iAM special. But you'll have to forgive me if im not crying my eyes out that a member of the parasitic Royal Family has bitten the dust. I dont care how "brave" and "classy" she was, or how "difficult" a position she was born into. I'll save my sympathy for people who were born into genuinely difficult positions, rather than cry crocodile tears for a member of the class that lives on the blood, sweat and tears of the working class. I notice there arent any obituaries on the front page for the everyday people who work their lives away so that people like Princess Margaret can sit on their fat duffs their entire lives and then claim they occupy a difficult position in life. Yeah, im all teary here. Sniffs.

Debra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 117

posted 10 February 2002 02:36 PM      Profile for Debra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well I'm having a difficult life and yet SURPRISE I can manage sympathy.

Saving your humanity (you do have some?) for only those who pass your special means test makes you not one whit different from those who look at people in grinding poverty and tell them to just get a job. Your just looking through the opposite end of the glass.

I'm glad you think your special. Self esteem is everything.

vaudree
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1331

posted 10 February 2002 05:24 PM      Profile for vaudree     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are many kinds of poverty and many types of chains. We did not have her advantages nor her disadvantages.

The plus side of having the queen as our figure head - our Prime Ministers do not become royalty. I remember soon after 9-11 listening to GWB end a speach with "God Bless you all" as if he had just become our representative of God. In a strange way having an external Queen makes the entire nation - from the poorest and weakest to the richest and most power - commoners.

We never thanked the royal family for that.

From: Just outside St. Boniface | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
cosmiccommunist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1933

posted 10 February 2002 05:46 PM      Profile for cosmiccommunist   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
EarthMother-
Having sympathy and making a big deal of this person's death is a biiiiiiig difference. There arent many front page obituaries for the everyday people who work all their lives supporting the opulent lifestyles of these parasitic scum. Why are there no postings on rabble for them if you have the sympathy you claim to have? Where is your humanity?? It seems to me you are reserving it solely for the rich and famous. I would LOVE to see the day when the working class tells the Royal Family to get real jobs, so they get to die in obscurity too.
If my attitude makes me not a whit different from those who look upon people in grinding poverty and tell them to get a job, oh well, i guess ill have to live with that. Those people dont seem to lose much sleep, and neither will i.

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: cosmiccommunist ]

Debra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 117

posted 10 February 2002 06:00 PM      Profile for Debra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmm so if you dont care why did you post?

Occasionally good manners are called for and you coming in here with your callous attitude is not much different than disrupting a memorial service.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 10 February 2002 06:26 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
If my attitude makes me not a whit different from those who look upon people in grinding poverty and tell them to get a job, oh well, i guess ill have to live with that. Those people dont seem to lose much sleep, and neither will i.

I'm sure you won't. But it's precisely because of attitudes like this that I'm frequently at pains to describe myself as a member of the non-doctrinaire left.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
statica
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1420

posted 11 February 2002 05:45 PM      Profile for statica   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember when princess Di and Mother Theresa died at nearly the same time....well, royalty doesn't mean a damn thing to me, but for Mother T I cried and cried.

I mean, princess Di might have been a great person -- I don't know, us common folk aren't allowed to really meet the royals except what we read through 'the tabs', so it's hard to miss someone when they're gone when you didn't even feel like they were there.
Mother T, though, I mean we saw her out there in the raw, as someone real, like a real life saint, so it was different with her.

Croesus_Krept
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 964

posted 12 February 2002 12:53 PM      Profile for Croesus_Krept   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
they didn't let her have any fun, did they?

what a world... to think that the biggest issue
a twenty-year old faces today is whether or not
to go on the pill; it's not at all whether she'll
be given the chance to choose who she sleeps
with... That freedom is something all of us do our best to take for granted...

( Then again, I'm not a parent and don't plan to
become one. I suppose if I had a good-looking princess for a daughter, I'd make sure she
got it on pretty early... I wonder how old
Margaret was the first time she got laid? )

Flaubert's father took him round to see the
classier prostitutes, etc...

ha, ha, ha, ha...

dddddddddddddddddddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: Croesus_Krept ]

cosmiccommunist
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1933

posted 12 February 2002 11:13 PM      Profile for cosmiccommunist   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Im still dreaming of the day when people say Sod It! to good manners and disrupt a Royal Family memorial service with some REAL bad manners, like about a thousand molotov cocktails at their worthless, parasitic heads. Where is the old Class War group when you need them? Anybody old enough to remember that old group of anarcho-off-their-meds sodkickers? Sigh. Sweet nostalgia for a group that knew how to do class war properly. They'd eat today's sensitive anarcho-vegan types for lunch and then shit them out and throw them at yuppies. They were cool. Real cool.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca