FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Merry Christmass

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Merry Christmass
Quirk
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1977

posted 23 December 2001 11:59 PM      Profile for Quirk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Since in my short time here I seem to have made so many friends and admirers, I thought I'd leave you for the hollidays with some seasonal cheer.

While the sap from the great pine tree masacre is still drying, let's wish children of the third world some rest from being Santa's little helpers.

While our own children are bribed and brainwashed with the ludicrous story of how a "virgin" mother from Nazareth would go all the way to Bethlehem for some "census" when it's pretty easy to figure out it was made up to match a kooky old testiment prophecy, and on a date that we all know certainly wasn't Decemeber two five.

While we lie to them about some reindeer-flying, clairvoyant, burgler/behaviour cop to help reinforce CocaCola's (TM) worldwide corporate identity by deifying his joly, red and white caricature, the true-life messiah of Globalization's crap-mongers.

After all, filling their heads with manipulative nonsence at such a young age just makes it easier for them, easier to accept the total consumerist indocrination that waits down the road.

The loot don't hurt much neither.

Along with the nog, the carols, the roast beast, I call for a new Christmass Tradition! All I ask, while you are laughing and singing and ripping shiney wrapping from treasured cardboard boxes, is that you read the labels of all your marvelous acquisitions.

Imagine the hardships caused by this anual orgy of consumption in our western society that is already consuming far far too much.

And when all is said and done, take stock of all the garbage, all the waste and excess, the mountains of toss-away junk that is the measure of our Cellebration's joy, and wonder how much more the planet can take.

Count the gifts made with questionable labour and environmental practices and count the many smiles they bring. Count the cheap, plastic, nonsencical guilt-booty armoured in layers of disposable packaging. Count the sweat shop manufactured textiles and rejoice that our children and loved ones are unburdened with guilt for the suffering of those far away who may not share our faith.

Merry Christmass to all, and to all a good night.

Apemantus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1845

posted 24 December 2001 04:26 AM      Profile for Apemantus        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I bet no-one here had ever thought of it like that. Thanks, haven't we been suckers!?

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 24 December 2001 04:50 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the spirit of this thread, I hereby give to all of you the Christmas present of virtual cat hair.

... it only makes a mess if you want it to. Otherwise it vanishes as swiftly as my cousin, the Cheshire Cat.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 24 December 2001 08:00 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quirk, I enjoyed that contribution (if "enjoyed" is the right word - it's not really). Maybe appreciated is better. Thanks.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca