babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Good news for leftists -- Christmas present for us

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Good news for leftists -- Christmas present for us
Too old to lie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1979

posted 22 December 2001 11:49 AM      Profile for Too old to lie        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There must be something in the world to be happy about. There just simply must. It is impossible that there would not be any. I suggest we all go on a search to find happy news somewhere, under whatever rock, hidden in whatever woods, but find them we must. And when we found them, lets list them in this thread as a Christmas present to ourselves.

I will start looking right now and when I found one, I will be back.

[ December 22, 2001: Message edited by: Too old to lie ]

From: Planet Titanic | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 22 December 2001 12:05 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm happy I'm getting my laundry done right now.

I'll be even happier when I get my Christmas shopping done later today.

Too old to lie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1979

posted 22 December 2001 12:12 PM      Profile for Too old to lie        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, what I had in mind was good news in social, political, human sense.

And I renamed the title of this thread to avoid another flaming war. I will even start another thread with the same title, so the right wingers can give each other Christmas presents too. Only fair.

Pankaj
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1040

posted 22 December 2001 12:18 PM      Profile for Pankaj   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Lotus Center in London has recently doubled in size. Its Yoga classes are nearly always jam-packed; people on waiting lists to become Yoga teachers too. Many more people are looking for alternatives. At the personal level, even a conservative city like London is blooming in this regard. And the people who go there are from all walks of life. Coming together to seek truth within, moving away from being fed propaganda. Hey, good things are happening everywhere.
Too old to lie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1979

posted 22 December 2001 12:23 PM      Profile for Too old to lie        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Excellent news Pankaj, but we need a lot more for a full gift basket. I am still looking.
agent007
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1189

posted 22 December 2001 12:29 PM      Profile for agent007     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Israel Develops Anthrax Vaccine

Israeli scientists have completed ten years of research and testing in a secret laboratory in the Nes Tziona Biological Center, and are about ready to begin mass-production of their newly-developed vaccine against anthrax. The vaccine has been tested and found to be effective, and unlike the American vaccine, causes no side effects. In addition, the American vaccine must be taken in six doses, while the new Israeli version takes effect after only one injection. The research is based on genetic engineering, and was the fruit of cooperation between the IDF and the Ministry of Health.

Source: Israel National News -- Dec 20, 2001

From: Niagara Falls ON | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 22 December 2001 12:53 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What, me doing errands is not of socio, political or human interest? I’m deflated. I thought whole economies rise and fall based on what I do.

Hmm, flipping through my paper I see Tentative deal reached in CBC strike. Or how about this:

quote:
Ontario Premier Mike Harris is doing more to protect the rights of vulnerable minorities than his critics had thought possible. All unwittingly, mind you. His government has pushed the limits when it comes to, say, leaving the French-speaking minority or farm workers out in the cold. But the courts have pushed back. The result? Minorities can point to new constitutional protections and wider rights than before.

A farm worker's freedom

Too old to lie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1979

posted 22 December 2001 01:00 PM      Profile for Too old to lie        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
What, me doing errands is not of socio, political or human interest?
Far be it from me to question the socio-political importance of your household activities clockwork, but what I had in mind was a thread full of good news on the global scale (or at least Canadian) that we can look at time after time when we need a shot in the arm. Something suggesting that all is not lost and there is hope in the world. But if you would like, I can start another thread titled: "Good news in the Clockwork Universe"

But I was very happy with the second part of your post. Exactly the kind of news I am trying to collect in this thread.

oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 23 December 2001 01:27 AM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK then, in the field of community mental health services. There was a while over the last year when there was funding for quality affordable housing for persons with serious mental illness who were homeless, or at risk of becoming so. (criteria somewhat flexible)

As a practitioner in the above stated field, for that time I could pull really nice housing units out of my back pocket like I was a magician. Wow did it feel good. The lucky few who were around at the right time are doing very well, and are no longer chronically taking up expensive hospital beds. Some, now that they have a roof over their heads are able to get it together enough to try out part time employment!

BTW Too Old To Lie, I've been meaning to ask. Just how old do you have to be before losing this most important of life skills? I've just gotten better at it over the years.

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisha
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 387

posted 23 December 2001 03:47 AM      Profile for Trisha     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lakehead University is still in the running with Sudbury's University for the new Northern Medical School. For me, that's very good news. They haven't yet limited us to a satellite.
From: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
John I. Fleming
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1846

posted 23 December 2001 04:16 AM      Profile for John I. Fleming        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought that was already rectified Trisha?

I just pulled this off of Canada Newswire:

The minister announced that the government will:

- create a northern medical school with a main site at Laurentian University and a clinical education campus at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay.

Government Announces New Northern Medical School

Good luck if it isn't a done deal because I would like to see the main site further up north like Thunder Bay.

John I. Fleming

From: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisha
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 387

posted 23 December 2001 04:22 AM      Profile for Trisha     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Edited for correction. This news release came out after the information I got earlier today. There are still some details to be ironed out but it looks good for us. We really need it here. Thank you, Mr. Fleming, for your support on this issue.

[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: Trisha ]

From: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
sherpafish
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1568

posted 23 December 2001 06:17 AM      Profile for sherpafish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
antarctic clean up
human rights in Romania
more talk in Middle East
girl's geeky urls
He He !

[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: sherpafish ]
Ho Ho!

[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: sherpafish ]

From: intra-crainial razor dust | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Too old to lie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1979

posted 23 December 2001 09:00 AM      Profile for Too old to lie        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have scanned the "Year in Review" pages of cbc.ca and found only the following good news (but that was a biggie). I am sure you all know it, but I would like to savour the moment one more time.

"Mike Harris announces he will step down as premier of Ontario and head of the provincial Tory party after a spring leadership race."

I don't care (well, almost) who comes after him, but the sheer cynicism and brutality of Mr.Harris made me feel ashamed that someone like him was possible in Canada.

Rejoice Babblers, there is hope yet!

quote:
oldgoat: BTW Too Old To Lie, I've been meaning to ask. Just how old do you have to be before losing this most important of life skills?
Oldgoat, losing the skill is not necessarily age related (I am using age as an excuse for a lot of things), it is more like a mental state. When you reach a level of anger and disgust with sanctimonious lies, hypocrisy, double standards and just plain stupidity from our leaders and their apologists, you find yourself in desperate need of fresh air. At that point you may decide to go on a crusade of calling spades spades, just for the sheer joy of it.

[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: Too old to lie ]

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 23 December 2001 05:55 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ralph Klein admitting he has a drinking problem.

Other than that the increasing government intervention in the economy (post-Sept 11) has been all the wrong kind.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
vaudree
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1331

posted 23 December 2001 09:44 PM      Profile for vaudree     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That there was such wide coverage of the NDP convention. Nothing like a hint of controversy to get media people noticing. Any one know anything about our new president - except for the fact that he makes the rest of us look over the hill? There is hope in the new generation - always hope with the new generation.

Then Glen Murray finally got us our recycling bins - in all the apartments and housing now.

The news that the US government were responsible for defeating the Northern Alliance and replacing them with the Taliban bring back memories of JR and Dallas.

The fact that it is still cheeper to live in Winnipeg than any where else - and after three terms in office Filmon still could not figure out a way to get rid of rent controls. There is a reason that parliament keep getting shorter and shorter - it was too hard for the PC`s to get anything done with parliament in session.

That Doer figured out a way so that a future PC government cannot sell Hydro by passing a law stating that hydro cannot be sold without a referendum.

That Lorne Calvert seems popular.

The CBC coverage of Allan Rock`s surgery for prostate cancer - especially the expert testimony.

That the Burnardo tapes have been destroyed.

That is is now illegal to leave a person stranded on the outskirts of town.

That Sophenow has been proven innocent - and Arnold is having the police breathing down his neck. (Heard a rumour that Arnold`s house caught fire and he rescued the TV set and left his infant daughter to die - so whether he killed Barbara Stoppel or not he should suffer a trial).

That my major appliances made it through another year without breaking down.

From: Just outside St. Boniface | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pankaj
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1040

posted 23 December 2001 09:53 PM      Profile for Pankaj   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Vaudree: always hope with the new generation.

I recently went to a 10-day silent meditation retreat, 12 hours of sitting meditation a day and nothing else besides food and sleep. And you know what, I was one of the few elders at this at the ripe old age of 39. Most of the 32 people there were in their early to mid-twenties. Taking such a step to know themselves better, to become calmer, more compassionate and stronger. I certainly did not expect that, not what I've seen before where I am one of the younger people. Yeah, if this keeps up things will be alright.

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 01 January 2002 10:35 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Check it.

Since it's the index, it'll change soon. Here's an extract, and then my comments follow.

-----

Uri Avnery

If I Were Mofaz

If I were Shaul Mofaz, I would by now be very worried indeed.

In Belgium, Ariel Sharon is standing trial for his part in the Sabra and Shatila events of 19 years ago. At first, he treated this as a joke. No more. Now he is spending a fortune (of our money) on this trial.

The prosecution argues that Sharon, then Israel's Minister of Defense, being responsible for occupied Beirut, allowed a bunch of notorious murderers into the camps of defenseless refugees, where they indiscriminately killed men and women, old people and children. The Israeli Commission of Inquiry ordered his dismissal and charged him with "indirect responsibility". The Belgian prosecutors are trying to charge him with direct responsibility.

Perhaps the trial will be abandoned, perhaps Sharon will be found not guilty. But if he is found guilty, an international warrant may be issued for his arrest and he will be liable to be arrested the moment he sets foot in Europe.

-----

Why I think this amounts to a Christmas present is that Ariel Sharon may actually learn some friggin' humility.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca