babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Is 9/11 returning billions of taxes to corporations?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Is 9/11 returning billions of taxes to corporations?
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 22 December 2001 09:33 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
12/20/01

Hail George, Conqueror of Evildoers!

Dear George W. Bush:

Hats off to you, sir, for a job well done! The Soviets tried for ten years to do what it took you only two months to accomplish in Afghanistan. How did you do that? It's funny how a couple months ago there were all these Taliban, and now -- there aren't any! You must be some kind of super magician -- almost as good at disappearing acts as ol' Osama (or, as they say on the Fox Nuisance Channel, "Usama" -- I like their spelling better, like "We put the 'USA' in USAma!"). He did exist, didn't he? I would hate to have gotten myself all worked up over the wrong evildoer! I loved that last tape of his, the home video of his sleepover with that sheik. What a party animal, that guy!

And how 'bout that Northern Alliance! Thanks to them, my weekly supply of heroin will finally be reinstated. Whoo-hoo -- and just in time for New Year's Rockin' Eve! Those Taliban simply did NOT have the best delivery system for the stuff, kinda like why you never see Beaman's gum anymore -- poor distribution and shelf placement. According to the New York Times, the Northern Alliance has put all the poppy farmers back to work, and they are promising a "bumper crop" by spring.

But Mr. Bush, I am most impressed with how you have used those who died on September 11th to justify your lining the pockets of your rich friends and campaign contributors. Your "Economic Stimulus Bill" -- pure genius! You actually got the House of Representatives to pass a bill eliminating the law that said corporations have to pay at least a token minimum tax every year.
See, most people forget that back in your daddy's day (when he was VP) thousands of companies were able to lawyer their way out of paying any taxes at all! Then a law was passed to stop that. Now you got the House to agree to give all these corporations back ALL the minimum taxes they have paid since 1986!! That's $140 billion of givebacks ($1.4 billion to IBM, a billion to Ford, $800 million to GM, etc.). And you got this passed, all under the guise of "September 11th!" How do you get away with this without the American public whoopin' your behind? Man, you are THE MAN!

Hey, and tell your top sheriff, Big John Ashcroft, that his refusal to let the FBI look at the files of gun background checks that the Justice Department keeps -- to see if any of the terrorists or suspected terrorists have purchased weapons in the past two years -- took some balls! Even though checking those files might turn up information that could protect us in possible future attacks, Ashcroft was more concerned with not upsetting the NRA than in helping his own FBI catch the bad guys. Now that's what I call getting your priorities straight. Big John may have lost his Senate seat last year to a dead guy, but he sure as heck ain't gonna lose me as a huge admirer!

Well, I better go before someone from the Office of Homeland Security mistakes me for someone who needs to be "interviewed!" Rest assured I'm doing my part for the country by shopping my sorry ass off in this week before Christmas. Buy! Buy! Buy! Tora! Tora! Tora! Bora! Whoo-hoo, Prince O' Peace!! Fight Team Fight! Go get 'em, George, Jr. -- we're counting on you to kill all evildoers!

Yours,

Michael Moore
Third in Line to the King of Afghanistan www.michaelmoore.com
mmflint@aol.com

P.S. You'll beat that Enron rap, just like you beat your other raps! Chin up!
Who needs "energy traders" anyway? I never saw that job on the list from my high school counselor!!

Too old to lie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1979

posted 22 December 2001 11:42 AM      Profile for Too old to lie        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This was very funny and very depressing.
From: Planet Titanic | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
agent007
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1189

posted 22 December 2001 12:17 PM      Profile for agent007     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
You actually got the House of Representatives to pass a bill eliminating the law that said corporations have to pay at least a token minimum tax every year.

Straight out of Bob Rae's book!

From: Niagara Falls ON | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
DeportThabani
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2003

posted 03 January 2002 12:35 AM      Profile for DeportThabani   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Because their hearts were pure, they had the strengh of 10.
Markbo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 124

posted 03 January 2002 12:46 AM      Profile for Markbo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hey, and tell your top sheriff, Big John Ashcroft, that his refusal to let the FBI look at the files of gun background checks that the Justice Department keeps

I genuinely don't understand Moore on his first and point, does he think the U.S invented Bin Laden and the Taleban? Just as every surviving german soldier who was not charged with war crimes returned to their homes so should the taleban soldiers. I don't get his point, does he think this is wrong? All German soldiers were wrong but they still went back to their homes after the war to continue their lives.

I agree that the stimulus package was pro corporate america far too excessively, I regret that the Democratic party was solely for the unemployed. Too bad no one was pro middle class america.

quote:
Hey, and tell your top sheriff, Big John Ashcroft, that his refusal to let the FBI look at the files of gun background checks that the Justice Department keeps

This baffles me, Does this mean that Moore is pro the increased big brother security policy. Or does he just want big brother to hound people he doesn't like, such as gunowners?

quote:
Well, I better go before someone from the Office of Homeland Security mistakes me for someone who needs to be "interviewed!"

No keep 'em busy interviewing all the law-abiding gun owners.

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: Markbo ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 03 January 2002 12:51 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just a quick aside: all German soldiers were not "wrong" - they were on the losing side of a war. The Nazi party was definitely wrong, and I realize that the Nazis were controlling the German army. But the individual soldiers themselves were not "wrong". There is a difference between Nazi party members and German soldiers. The Nazi party members were the ones in command, and the soldiers (at least the junior ranks) were the ones who had the palatable choice between fighting and possibly dying, or not fighting and definitely dying. I know what I would have chose, and I would not have considered myself "wrong" for choosing it.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
NDB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1234

posted 03 January 2002 11:13 AM      Profile for NDB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Markbo - the rest of the Ashcroft paragraph seems to explain Moore's thoughts perfectly.

quote:
Hey, and tell your top sheriff, Big John Ashcroft, that his refusal to let the FBI look at the files of gun background checks that the Justice Department keeps -- to see if any of the terrorists or suspected terrorists have purchased weapons in the past two years -- took some balls! Even though checking those files might turn up information that could protect us in possible future attacks, Ashcroft was more concerned with not upsetting the NRA than in helping his own FBI catch the bad guys. Now that's what I call getting your priorities straight. Big John may have lost his Senate seat last year to a dead guy, but he sure as heck ain't gonna lose me as a huge admirer!

I'm pretty sure Moore is not in favour of the loosening of the reins on the FBI, but he thinks it should be applied equally. So while the FBI is running around wire-tapping, and spying on, Muslim groups, leftist websites, anti-trade orgs, and college students and profs, (see The New McCarthyism previously cited by rasmus_raven) it might have made sense to allow the FBI the freedom to check who's buying guns. I think he's pointing out the ironic nature of excessive protection of "average" gun owners.

(Of course the FBI no doubt won't have time anyway since Ashcroft has certainly put them onto every pro-dancing group in the US - there's a lot of "evil" people to check on.)

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: NDB ]

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 03 January 2002 03:03 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Didn't an Al-Qaeda guidebook surface which alleged that the "easy" gun laws of the USA meant relatively easy access to firearms and training courses in how to use them?
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 03 January 2002 03:07 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"easy" gun laws, "easy" immigration laws, etc...
From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca