FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Fast Track Redux

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Fast Track Redux
NDB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1234

posted 03 December 2001 04:46 PM      Profile for NDB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Bush Administration is preparing to seek fast-track authority for the FTAA, again. The House will consider it on Thursday this week. See the article from The Nation Online Beat:

Click!

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 03 December 2001 07:53 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You know, isn't this about the third time Congress said no to Fast Track? (And how Dubya will get it this time I don't know, especially since the Senate is *just barely* held by the Dems)
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 07 December 2001 11:58 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/07/politics/07TRAD.html
From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
NDB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1234

posted 07 December 2001 01:06 PM      Profile for NDB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I saw that this morning.

Here's the official Bush word:
Click!

quote:
Now that the House has acted, I urge the Senate to move quickly to send me a Trade Promotion Authority bill I can sign.
Apparently he plans to get it through the Senate by urging.

Can someone tell me who the approval process of trade agreements works in Canada? My limited understanding is that initially trade agreements have to be approved by Parliament, but that subsequent negotiations, expansions or amendments do not. The Minister for International Trade has the authority to proceed ad-hoc. Is that true? Anyone? This is essentially the power that Bush is seeking, no?

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 07 December 2001 01:19 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fast Track is basically a pre-approval process where Congress gives "pre facto" agreement to any trade deal the President negotiates. Congress thus gives up its right to amend the deal afterwards.

At least that's my understanding of Fast Track. I will sit corrected if anyone sees a mistake.

(Edit to say that I have been corrected by the ravenoid entity )

[ December 07, 2001: Message edited by: DrConway ]

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
NDB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1234

posted 07 December 2001 01:31 PM      Profile for NDB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought the House had jurisdiction over "international commerce treaties," but I haven't been able to find where I got that impression.

Dr.C do you know how this compares to Canadian legislation?

Edited to ask: Jeff House in the house?

[ December 07, 2001: Message edited by: NDB ]

rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 07 December 2001 01:53 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, DrC, Fast Track merely means that Congress gives up its right to amend the proposed legislation. So the executive branch can negotiate a deal that will be either voted up or down, but not amended.
From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
NDB
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1234

posted 03 January 2002 05:04 PM      Profile for NDB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this thread is worth reviving, but I thought this article was interesting . . .

Fast Track to Nowhere

quote:
The narrow House vote last month to extend trade promotion authority to the president may be a hollow victory for proponents of free trade. When the blush of success wears off, they may well realize that this battle, won on a 215-214 vote, has significantly weakened the chances of Republicans — traditionally the champions of free trade — to maintain control of the House of Representatives. And only to enact a measure that is of little practical value.

(This is a NY Times article. You have to register in order to access these articles, but registration is free. The author was Deputy Trade Representative in the Reagan administration)

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca