FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » UK to decriminalize pot

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: UK to decriminalize pot
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 24 October 2001 05:34 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cannabis to be legal for personal use
From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 24 October 2001 09:37 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, not exactly legal, rasmus ... It's an advance, though. They're still reserving their right to wag their fingers at you and tell you you're a bad boy and all.

Is the world going to grow up before I die? I guess that's a silly question; I guess it always has been. Hard not to wish, though, isn't it?

Debra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 117

posted 24 October 2001 12:50 PM      Profile for Debra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't bogart that joint my friend..
From: The only difference between graffiti & philosophy is the word fuck... | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 24 October 2001 01:17 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was chatting with a friend in England just before dinner last night. He was all excited about this and was nattering on about how his hatred for the Labor party just turned into some form of like.

I wonder what affect this will have on the studies Canada is doing now and the boost if any it will give to Rock to push a policy change through. I think a key factor will be Bush in that I am sure he has passed around the peace pipe a few times when he was younger, but also there is his father's influence. Anyone remember daddybush's statments in the "Drugwar"? Some of you may remember Nixon getting the report on pot and much to his dismay, finding it supported the idea that for the average social user, pot was harmless. He then tossed the report into the garbage without reading it and announced his war on drugs agenda.

I remember back in the 70s a magazine that a friend had that I picked up and started looking through. Low and behold here was a picture and article about the guy whose house I was sitting in. I think it was about high yeld cultivation or something like that.
Anyway I started reading that mag on a regular basis and found many and interesting article. Not to corrupt anyone here but I would like to pass it along to anyone interested. Take this brother and may it serve you well.

High Times

Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 24 October 2001 01:37 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Labor party

What are ya, some kinda Yankee or somethin'?! It's "Labour" baybee!!!

From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 24 October 2001 02:27 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
What are ya, some kinda Yankee or somethin'?! It's "Labour" baybee!!!

Mediaboy I am shocked and outraged that you would capitalize on such an innocent disability after being a member of Babble for these six long months. You above all others should know, being Mediaboy and all that that implies, that my poor spelling is not my fault but the fault of the society that created me and the village that raised me. As well the responsibility for all my typos fall squarly on the head of none other than Bill Gates as I use a Microsoft Natural keyboard that is old and sticky. Bill Gates IS a Yankee btw. So now that you have besmirched my name and status in such a nefarious and heinious manner there is nothing left but for me to damand satisfaction.

Bailiff, whack his pee pee!

Edited to correct some of the spelling mistakes and typos. Sheesh!

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Slick Willy ]

Re-edited to correct the spelling mistakes in the reason for editing line! Will the cycle ever end???

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Slick Willy ]

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 24 October 2001 02:50 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I, uhm ... *cough* ... *cough* ... can't remember what this thread is about ...
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 24 October 2001 02:58 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Spelling mistake", my fanny! You're a Yankee propaganda agent, secretly trying to get the poor, defenceless denizens of Babbletm to conform to American culture, customs, and spelling!

Now, will you or will you not give this committee a list of your co-conspirators?! Don't wait for the translation!!!

I'm on to you buster!

(Whoa, I think this shit just kicked in!)

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Kneel before MediaBoy ]

From: A thread has merit only if I post to it. So sayeth VVMB! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
David Kyle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1530

posted 24 October 2001 03:25 PM      Profile for David Kyle     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do you think we'll see a come back tour from the Doobie Brothers?
Victor Von Mediaboy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 554

posted 24 October 2001 03:30 PM      Profile for Victor Von Mediaboy   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was gonna clean my room, but then I got high.
Trinitty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 826

posted 24 October 2001 03:34 PM      Profile for Trinitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope that this will no longer be an issue by the time I need to have the "drug talk" with my kids.

I can't beleive that we, in this day and age are STILL debating whether or not someone should be able to cut a bud off of a PLANT and ingest it.

If I did that with my rubberplant at home I would probably get very sick and maybe even die, but non-linear thought, childhood recollection and the munchies are WAY out of bounds.

Just think about that for a second.

So sad. If we can't do this, we should go back to the cave.

**Edited to add:

Whoa, I don't think easing up on ecstasy is a great idea. I watched a show on that a few weeks ago, man, you'd be better off drinking drano. It permanently changes your brain chemistry, and actually puts
holes in your brain after repeated use. The massive rush of seretonin just screws eveything up. Worse than crack.... kids are just assuming it's "soft" because it's so widely available.

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Trinitty ]

Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 24 October 2001 03:49 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Spelling mistake", my fanny!

Fanny ha ha ha ha! 'ere.

Trinitty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 826

posted 24 October 2001 03:50 PM      Profile for Trinitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey, I used to live near Fanny Bay.
Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 24 October 2001 03:56 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I can't beleive that we, in this day and age are STILL debating whether or not someone should be able to cut a bud off of a PLANT and ingest it.

Oh the shealtered life you must have lead.
You could only say that if you have never tried Jimson weed (Datura). Hunter S Thompson sums it up pretty good.

David Kyle
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1530

posted 24 October 2001 05:32 PM      Profile for David Kyle     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If they legalize pot, farmers could finally start growing hemp without having idiots sneeking into the fields to cut down the plants for smokes.

..I was gonna say more, but I got high....

Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 24 October 2001 06:15 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
If they legalize pot,

If that should ever happen it is a long long way off. Big difference between changing it from a class B narcotic to a class C narcotic and legalizing it. Besides you will always have knucleheads cutting down patches of hemp crops thinking they just scored the motherlode for free.

'ere

machiavellian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1365

posted 25 October 2001 03:04 AM      Profile for machiavellian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe Mr. Blunkett just took a little vacation in Amsterdam and saw similar policies in action.

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: machiavellian ]

From: Peace River (no, not actually in the river, silly) | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dawna Matrix
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 156

posted 25 October 2001 07:54 PM      Profile for Dawna Matrix     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Or maybe she just imagined going to Amsterdam...
From: the stage on cloud 9 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 17 February 2002 03:51 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Drug Laws Revolution set for UK
From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 17 February 2002 03:46 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think I'd rush out to buy or grow some pot if it became legal/deregulated whatever here. The fact that I don't use it anymore has little to do with the fact it's illegal. I just never get around to getting some, is all. There's times I'd like to get high, but the moments are fleeting, and the hassel of resurecting of connections, and the cost doesn't seem to be out wieghed by the desire for it.

Be that as it may, I regard this as a litmus test on the extent to which polilitcal parties value liberty.

The marijuana laws are an affront to personal liberty, plain and simple.

The government created marijuana laws on faulty reasoning, and are compounding their error by standing by those laws.

I tell you, a libertarian attitude on things of a personal nature will be a great thing for a political party to stake out turf on right now.

The fact that political parties-- of all stripes-- are either cynics or idealogues means that it will be a long time before this happens.

Wasn't the marijuana law here basically struck down in court, but the judge gave parliament a year to come up with a new law? What's happening with that? We must be approaching the deadline.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 17 February 2002 03:53 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We've been past it for a year now.

The possession law was replaced with a new law that gives the Health Minister considerable discretion in authorizing the production and sale of medical marijuana by doctor's prescription.

I forget the details, but that's the substance.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 17 February 2002 03:53 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can't think why I didn't notice this thread for so long.

quote:
Don't bogart that joint my friend..

This song has always gravelled my ass. What idiot ever thought to use the noble name of Bogart as a verb meaning to hog something? Bogie was a Man of the People, who would always have passed the duchie on the left-hand side.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca