babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Princess Diana: four years later, still dead

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Princess Diana: four years later, still dead
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 23 September 2001 06:34 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I just wish Babble had been here then. I wish I had remembered this past Aug. 31.

Who did it? Was it Her Maj.? Who cares?

This goes into the "beauty doesn't float" file, along with JFK Jr., the hubbub about whose death has now rightfully been eclipsed by genuine horror, genuine loss of innocence. It's hard to imagine people getting so upset by those events now. Wasn't that a sign of great decadence, great hubris, great emptiness? Of forgetting the power of nature, as Camille Paglia pointed out in her best and only good column ever?

I've linked to that column before.

[ September 23, 2001: Message edited by: rasmus_raven ]

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 23 September 2001 07:12 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Onion had a brilliant take on that kind of thing with this:

The JFK Jr. Tragedy: About A Year Or So Later

On another note entirely: Nixon's still dead, right? I feel the need to check once in a while.

I thought of him when I found this quote in an otherwise forgettable Heather Malick column (is there another kind? God we're bitchy on this board!) in yesterday's glob: when Talleyrand, master wire-puller and successful Machiavellian, died, Metternich supposedly said "I wonder what he meant by that."

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 24 September 2001 05:39 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Diana dead? Nonsense...she just had a facelift and a sex change and is now calling herself William.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca