FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Conspiracy Theory

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Conspiracy Theory
Debra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 117

posted 23 September 2001 09:48 AM      Profile for Debra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Take one powerful and monied intelligence agency, add known terrorists, back away and let the chips (
or buildings) fall where they may. Create a global outcry of horror and retribution, backing of whatever
war measures you decide to take including the blessings of NATO. Create a jingoism not seen for many
years. Create the unwavering backing of a stupid and dull man not even elected to his office. Create a
situation where the whole world must fall in line with US policy or risk being seen as supporters of the
"evil doers". Create an inability to protest as the police and general public will be so nervous as to
possible outcomes that protests will be swiftly and not gently dealt with. Stir in trillions of dollars worth of
high tech military equipment and a psychopath at the helm and run like hell.

From: The only difference between graffiti & philosophy is the word fuck... | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zatamon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1394

posted 23 September 2001 10:22 AM      Profile for Zatamon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
earthmother, I love your Conspiracy Theory!
I always envied those who can say the same things in ten words that I need a hundred for.

Zatamon

From: where hope for 'hope' is contemplated | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
krishna
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1242

posted 24 September 2001 12:14 AM      Profile for krishna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didnt wanna pronounce it first. That theory is becoming less farfetched in quite a few minds. Heck, people on Indymedia were proposing "Reichstag burning" comparisons from day two. Pearl Harbour comparisons given by U.S. officials on day one also had a similar ominous and unspoken side for those who believe/recall that the U.S. high command knew that Japan was going to attack and ordered the main fleet away just prior.

What better enemy to have than one that is invisible, everywhere, and requires totalitarian domestic surveillance to catch? I think i'm going to watch 1984 again.
The only way they're going to dissuade conspiracy theorists is to open wide the records of the investigation, and allow independent third parties to examine all evidence. Imagine the fun if it all gets cloaked under "National Security" instead...

From: Ottawa and Rideau rivers area | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 24 September 2001 12:18 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I couldn't help but be reminded of the Reichstag fire as well.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 24 September 2001 12:25 AM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
... for Christ's sake. Thanks to this forum, the world knows, if it cares, that I'm no fan of Bush the Younger, nor of US politics, domestic or foreign. But whatever else he may or may not be -- stupid, dull and unelected as he undoubtedly is -- Shrub is no psychopath. And comparisons to the Reichstag fire plumb new depths of bad taste.
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 24 September 2001 12:29 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe it was in another thread that I said that one of the people who benefit from this most is Dubya for various reasons...

But I figured if I actually suggested a connection, I would be in big trouble pretty quick. But the conspiracy theory was in my mind at the time. Not because I actually believe it, but I figured, if we're all going to go off half-cocked and have someone tried and convicted on circumstantial evidence of motive before all the facts are in... Then let's get into the whole conspiracy theory thing too. Also, one person in my life mentioned that Israel benefits pretty heavily too - basically a carte blanche to do whatever they want to Palestinians, either because there is so much media attention on the US that no one will notice, or because there was such negative on Palestinians that no one will care. I don't really believe that either, but again, while we're convicting on circumstantial evidence...

Or, in true Frank Magazine style, I'm "shocked and appalled" by this conspiracy theory, and I "will hear none of this half-baked innuendo."

[ September 24, 2001: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 24 September 2001 12:43 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
'lance: I wasn't suggesting Dubya deliberately aided and abetted the WTC/Pentagon attacks. However, it IS extremely convenient for him that as a perceived half-wit, almost illegitimate President, bogged down in a fight with Congress over tax cuts and military spending and dealing with a slowing US economy, that all of a sudden a disaster occurs of this magnitude, and for a time, no one will question the validity of his assertions or second-guess the accuracy of his statements.

And civil liberties WILL fall by the wayside in this "war", I fear. Just as they did after the Reichstag fire.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Markbo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 124

posted 24 September 2001 12:45 AM      Profile for Markbo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
as a perceived half-wit, almost illegitimate President

I disagree solely because the only people perceiving him as a half wit such as yourself will not change their mind.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 24 September 2001 12:56 AM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
However, it IS extremely convenient for him

Perhaps it seems convenient, for now. In a few months or years it may not.

And you may be right about civil liberties being curtailed. But comparisons to the Reichstag fire, set by a governing party which had for many years been quite open about its hostility to democracy and civil liberties, in a political climate where these things had only the shallowest and greenest of roots if any, are still in bad taste.

[ September 24, 2001: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 24 September 2001 01:08 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Besides, doesn't that come awfully close to the Godwin law? Hee hee. (Was Godwin the right name? Can't remember...)
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 24 September 2001 04:56 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
'lance: The Repubs may not be so crass as to say that they're not in favor of democracy, but I highly doubt that their campaign contributors would terribly mind if they voted through a few more gaping holes in the US Constitution.
Eddie Lear
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 362

posted 24 September 2001 02:44 PM      Profile for Eddie Lear     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quite GAPING indeed DrC.
From: Port Colborne, Ont | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca