FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » evil

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: evil
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 23 September 2001 03:24 AM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's older than humankind, yet new again.

Most of us have never confronted evil. We have classified it as something ugly on a movie screen, or in a news story. Our personal contact, in most cases, has been only with the kind of evil that whispers: "Eat your lunch and play with your toys while i take these puppies into the next room. I'll just close the door, so as not to disturb you. I'll be back in a while with your nice new fur coat."

We've used the word easily enough, but i don't think we really understand it. The events of the past - how long is it since the last good night's sleep? - have forced us to grapple with our attitude toward evil. To figure out where it lives, what guises it wears. To wonder how much we each partake of it and how much we fear it. Until we formulate coherent answers to these internal questions, we can't decide what action to take.
It's a difficult process. Talk helps, even when it gets emotional - flippant, sarcastic, downright rude.
Much of North America (i don't know about the rest of the world) is going through the same experience. We need to practice patience with one another in cyberspace, so that we may be more persuasive out here in the physical world.
Okay?

From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
krishna
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1242

posted 23 September 2001 03:53 AM      Profile for krishna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fear is one thing that drives us to say or do evil. I think it's important to have a place to feel safe expressing our fears.
From: Ottawa and Rideau rivers area | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zatamon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1394

posted 23 September 2001 10:47 AM      Profile for Zatamon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
nonesuch, you have said it so beautifully, I almost cried. Yes, you are right, evil is the center of all that happened and yes we are scared. I know I am. Evil has reached a new level of deadliness with those attcks that contaminated my mind with unerasable pictures.

The immensity of pain and destruction, the cold-blooded execution of the deed by human beings who don't even want to brag about it sends chills and shivers up and down my spine, ever since it happened.

I love this Forum, a place where I can talk about it and I love the much higher than average level of intelligence and tolerance being shown. This is democracy in the best sense of the word and I am proud and happy to be part of it.

Thank you all.

Zatamon

From: where hope for 'hope' is contemplated | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca