babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » What should the Pentagon blow up - suggestions?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: What should the Pentagon blow up - suggestions?
Zatamon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1394

posted 22 September 2001 12:31 PM      Profile for Zatamon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just read on CBC that the US military is trying to figure out what target is worthy in Afghanistan for demolition. Apparently not much left after the Soviets are gone.

I have a suggestion for them:

Since the US is famous for helping the rest of the world, they should help Afghanistan to build two office towers of 106 stories each (have to one-up them!). When they are built, then the US could blow them up. This could also be used by Hollywood as the scene for the next multi-million $ movie about the terrorist attack in New York (by around next May?).

Everybody would be happy: the US would have had her revenge (appropriate to the crime), the rest of the world could go back to their lives and the world would be rid of terrorism: they all would die laughing.

Any other suggestions?

Zatamon

From: where hope for 'hope' is contemplated | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
agent007
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1189

posted 22 September 2001 12:40 PM      Profile for agent007     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's NOT funny!
From: Niagara Falls ON | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zatamon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1394

posted 22 September 2001 12:49 PM      Profile for Zatamon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I never thought it was funny. I thought I was being sarcastic - an entirely different matter.
From: where hope for 'hope' is contemplated | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 22 September 2001 05:42 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That was worthy of WingNut.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zatamon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1394

posted 22 September 2001 06:17 PM      Profile for Zatamon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Before any more people jump down my throat, here is the CBC article that prompted the post. Sorry, but I was furious at the spectacle of searching for some "attractive" and "high-value" targets to blow up, each with potentially hundreds or thousands of innocent lives that had nothing to do with the attack on NY and Washington.

If I got carried away, I apologize.

Zatamon

Here comes the URL and excerpts.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/world/010922/w092205.html
War on the Taliban would be like little the U.S. military has undertaken before. But at least it would offer more of what Defence Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld calls "high-value" targets than would the shadowy terrorist network of Osama bin Laden that President George W. Bush has promised to root out…..
….If Bush decides to attack the Taliban, one of the most attractive targets would be the civilian-military airport in Kabul, the capital, and a Taliban garrison in the north of the city. The regime flies MiG fighters and helicopter gunships from this airport.
Among other potential targets:
-The airport in Kandahar, the city in southeastern Afghanistan where the Taliban leaders are based.
-The airport and Taliban military bases located in and around Jalalabad, a city in eastern Afghanistan near the Pakistan border. There are similar bases north of Jalalabad in Kunar province.
-Communications towers on the outskirts of Kabul.
-A military academy near Kabul.
-A large dam near Sarobie that provides electricity for the Kabul area.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 22 September 2001 08:06 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My post was a compliment, Zatamon. You probably haven't been around long enough to notice that WingNut is our resident satirical genius...
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zatamon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1394

posted 22 September 2001 08:40 PM      Profile for Zatamon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks again Michelle for the clarification. You are right: I am new here - discovered this Forum when ZNet went offline. I was worried that I offended some people who might misunderstand the satire and its intended target.

Zatamon

Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 22 September 2001 08:42 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's quite a deffence, isn't it? Go so low tech that no one can take anything away from you.

I think the targets to take out are the Taleban's military ordinace, like Tanks, artillery etc. Unless they've located them in civilian populations, they could be taken out without killing innocent people.

And, with the opposition having new life breathed into it and out for bloody revenge for the assasination of their long time beloved leader that would make the Taleban very, very afraid.

That being said, the U.S. would have to use more up close and personal weaponry to take out tanks and artillery, particularly if they wanted to be sure not to kill Afghani citizens. And, even then, as we saw with the train taken out on the bridge in Serbia, nothing is for certain.

This is a punative expedition. Pakistani sources say bin Laden flew the coup on Monday. Where? Probably to Taleban infested areas like the Kashmir, or the northern territories in Pakistan.

Good luck finding him there.

Anyone shed any tears over the Taleban being removed from power? It would mean innocent people in Afghanistan will die in all likelyhood...... but, it seems under the Taliban this already happening.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 22 September 2001 08:44 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The situation as it stands now is probably such that to get whatever of the terrorist network in Afghanistan, the Americans will have to take on the Taliban as well. Those are all valid military targets - with the exception of the dam. That's a really stupid thing to have on the list. Anything important is going to have its own power supply anyway since electricity's chancy in Afghanistan. Hitting the transmission facilities simply denies civilians electricity and hitting the dam itself risks damage and deaths from flooding.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Markbo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 124

posted 22 September 2001 10:11 PM      Profile for Markbo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the U.S. military should just insert themselves in the country and target anyone trying to kill them.
Zatamon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1394

posted 22 September 2001 10:36 PM      Profile for Zatamon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
... and if any foreign power knocks on our doors to insert themself in our country and target those who want to kill them, we will say: "come on in gentlemen, you are more than welcome, after all, we just did the exact same thing last week"!

Really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zatamon

Markbo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 124

posted 22 September 2001 10:41 PM      Profile for Markbo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do you think the Taleban is a legitimate gov't of Afghanistan. Previous to the bombing 188 out of 191 countries didn't. (now its a clean sweep) How do you know the majority of Afghani people would not welcome the Americans? Maybe women and children actually do not want to continue being oppressed. Ever think of that? Your analogy does not work.

The people of Afghanistan are not at war with the U.S. and they probably never will be. The people of the U.S. are however at war with the Taliban.

The country does not belong to the Taleban, it belongs to the people of Afghanistan who are not allowed even the most basic freedoms that you and many other people take for granted.

[ September 22, 2001: Message edited by: Markbo ]

Zatamon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1394

posted 22 September 2001 10:58 PM      Profile for Zatamon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wasn't talking about the Teleban, but "any foreign power" - if you accept something in principle as right, then you established a precedent. Any other nation has the right to use the same principle (unless you set yourself up as a nation with devine rights, not given to any other)

You may say: we are right, they are murderers! (but that is what they are saying exactly!!!)

So where are we? who decides? God will not do it for us, so the choice is rule of law or rule of the jungle. Back to square one.

Zatamon

Boinker
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 664

posted 22 September 2001 11:26 PM      Profile for Boinker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought the post was hilarious. I guess I'm losing it.

On the other hand there is a more serious aspect to this. If the US is planning revenge and has proof that it was the Taliban that sponsored the attack, that trained the terrorists, then this "government" should be eliminated or brought to some sort of international tribunal as "war criminals" as were the Nazis.

But UN conventions and our desire for peace and to minimize the deaths of innocent civilians make it essential that the US doesn't just "blow something up".

I think that the Taliban may be responsible simply because they have made a point of calling all the clerics country wide to decide on Bin Laden's extradition. It was if they were saying that if they had sponsored the terror in New York, it was a country-wide sponsorship, an Islamic sponsorship, and therefore in some bizarre psychosis justified.

What the US may need to do is take over Afghanistan, occupy it, get rid of the extremist leaders, introduce a modern Islamic state similar to Indonesia, and rebuild it like it did with Japan and Germany after WWII.

At the same time it will have to work covertly to eliminate the 5000 or so Bin Laden zealots who were trained by the CIA and FBI back in the 80s. I think it will also have to move troops and the military out of Saudi Arabia and reduce its dependence of fossil fuels.

The US will have to apply pressure on Israel to remove settlements from the West Bank and grant Palestine complete independence. It will also have to win from the Arab world acceptance of Israel unconditionally and work toward better socio economic conditions for the citizens of this region. Don't kid ourselves, the theocracies in the region and the despots don't hate Israel simply because it is Israel. They fear the democratic institutions it maintains within the country itself which thrive among fairly extreme religious beliefs. That is, religious belief does not need the sanction and power of state government to thrive but exists independent of it to a large degree.

If this phenomenon takes hold in the Arab world and among muslims themselves it would mean an end to sectarian violence and state supported homicide. It would end the reign of the ruling classes in the Arab world.

They will not allow this to happen without a fight.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca