babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » US planned to attack Taleban anyway?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: US planned to attack Taleban anyway?
krishna
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1242

posted 22 September 2001 01:42 AM      Profile for krishna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From an article on Khilafah.com, claiming to be sourced from BBC:
quote:

The wider objective was to oust the Taleban

A former Pakistani diplomat has told the BBC that the US was planning military action against Osama Bin Laden and the Taleban even before last week's attacks.

Niaz Naik, a former Pakistani Foreign Secretary, was told by senior American officials in mid-July that military action against Afghanistan would go ahead by the middle of October.

Before the conspiracy theorists (who are quite reasonable on occasion) run rampant, can anyone verify some of this?

From: Ottawa and Rideau rivers area | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 22 September 2001 09:45 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Uh, anyone know Portuguese?

quote:
EUA planejavam atacar Afeganistão, segundo ex-diplomata | BBC Brasil
Fale com a gente Você está em: Notícias 18 de setembro, 2001 - Publicado às 14h18 GMT EUA planejavam atacar Afeganistão, segundo ex-diplomata EUA planejava ação antes do atentado Um...

I think the BBC source is confirmed from the title. I found this here.

Actually, judging by the structure and the noun cues, I think it's the same article.
Whether it's true...?

[ September 22, 2001: Message edited by: clockwork ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 22 September 2001 09:52 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Before the conspiracy theorists (who are quite reasonable on occasion) run rampant, can anyone verify some of this?

If I say that this report sounds reasonable to me, does that make me a conspiracy theorist?

rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 22 September 2001 10:38 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From the Guardian
From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
agent007
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1189

posted 22 September 2001 10:51 AM      Profile for agent007     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
r_r, while I was translating the first article, you posted your Guardian link.
For what it's worth, this is how I read the article from the BBC-Brazil:
quote:
A former Pakistani diplomat told the BBC that the United States was planning a military action against Osama bin Laden and the Taleban military service before what happened last Tuesday. The former secretary of Exterior Relations of Pakistan, Niaz Naik, was informed in July by American authorities that a military action against Afghanistan would occur in October.
Naik was informed of the plans of the Americans in a meeting of an international group in discussions about Afghanistan. The meeting was co-ordinated by the ONU and occurred in Berlin . According to the former diplomat, the Americans had affirmed that if bin Laden was delivered to the United States, they would not initiate the military action. The objective of this action would be to kill or to capture bin Laden and the leader of the Taleban, Mulá Omar.
Objectives
However, Naik affirmed that there are doubts that the United States would give up this supposed military action if the Talebans were to deliver Osama bin Laden. The other thing would be for the Americans to knock down the Taleban military service and to restore a government of transistion in the Afghanistan, placing more moderate politicians in the power - under the leadership of Afghan former king Zahir Shah.
According to Naik, Washington would launch the operation from bases in the Tadjikistan, where the former-diplomat had already met with American council members. He also was informed that the Uzbekistan also would participate in the operation and that seventeen thousand Russian soldiers already were prepared to act.
According to Naik, the military operation was foreseen to start in October, before the rigorous winter and of blizzards in the Afghanistan. Naik still added that he doubts that the United States would give up this supposed military action against the Talebans if they were to deliver Osama bin Laden.

(Disclaimer: Portuguese is NOT my best language.)

[ September 22, 2001: Message edited by: relogged ]

From: Niagara Falls ON | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 22 September 2001 10:54 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
relogged, you can compare your translation to the BBC's original story in English.

clockwork, what was your search vector?

agent007
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1189

posted 22 September 2001 11:01 AM      Profile for agent007     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks r_r... I was close.
From: Niagara Falls ON | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pimji
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 228

posted 22 September 2001 01:03 PM      Profile for Pimji   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

[ September 22, 2001: Message edited by: Pimji ]

From: South of Ottawa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 22 September 2001 05:53 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Search Vector??

I don't know... I just went to the BBC and searched the name of the Pakistan diplomat.
I got three results, all "foriegn".
I was just looking for BBC confirmation...

rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 22 September 2001 07:51 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've never gotten a foreign language result. Did you search from http://news.bbc.co.uk? Or from www.bbc.co.uk or the world service homepage?
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 23 September 2001 08:27 AM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I ended up at bbc.co.uk?.
I repeated the search and got more entries (however, the Brazilian one came up first again).
Methinks I typed "Naik" as "Niak" in the initial search.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca