FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » New worm slows internet

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: New worm slows internet
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 18 September 2001 04:10 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you've noticed slow browsing, or delays in email, blame this new internet worm, which spreads via vulnerabilities in IIS, Outlook Express, and Internet Explorer :
http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.nimda.a@mm.html
http://www.trusecure.com/html/tspub/hypeorhot/rxalerts/tsa01024_cid177.shtml

If you run Mac or Linux or anything but Windows you are not vulnerable, however, you will be bothered.

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 18 September 2001 04:18 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TruSecure says the worm was first detected about 9 a.m. today, and notes the coincidence of the anniversary.
krishna
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1242

posted 18 September 2001 04:19 PM      Profile for krishna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How do folks here feel about the prospects for a class action lawsuit against Microsoft?

This is the umpteenth such a vulnerability ha s emerged in Microsoft's software and, as before, is costing the world billions of dollars in lost productivity, not to mention loss of critical communications in this time of dire need. I'm thinking a lawsuit need not ask for money; instead, it might demand an injunction that they open-source all their internet software so that it can be inspected by the worldwide community for vuilnerabilities.

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: krishna ]

From: Ottawa and Rideau rivers area | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 18 September 2001 04:24 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
How do folks here feel about the prospects for a class action lawsuit against Microsoft?

That is on my to do list. Right after the class action law suit against each country of the world for not providing me a place to live where there is no possiblity for me or anyone else to fuck myself up no matter what I do. Isn't the main purpose of government to protect me? heh heh

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 September 2001 07:09 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Uh oh, here goes nothing...
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
krishna
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1242

posted 22 September 2001 02:17 AM      Profile for krishna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It seems i am not a total wacko. Someone else thinks Microsoft has gotten away with too much, and here's another.

What i can't fathom is why progressive activists, who ought to know better than to use the products of oppressive monopolist corporations, continue to use Outlook, often even after being told about the issue. Windows i could understand, because that's how the hardware comesloaded. I suspect there's some convenience that is too big to give up for a principle. Problem is, as demonstrated many times, you pay for such decisions in the long run, and so does everyone else.

rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 22 September 2001 02:20 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[edited out smug, superior post]

[ September 22, 2001: Message edited by: rasmus_raven ]

prince
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1341

posted 22 September 2001 07:05 AM      Profile for prince     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For a complete description and the free detection and removal
tool on Win32.Nimda.A@mm visit
web page

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 22 September 2001 05:45 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey, Rasmus, that smug, superior post wouldn't have had the word LINUX in it, would it?
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
krishna
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1242

posted 23 September 2001 03:06 AM      Profile for krishna   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I use GNU/Linux myself. Windows users can turn to Eudora, Pegasus Mail, Netscape, Lotus Notes and probably lots of other packages.
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 23 September 2001 03:24 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hey, Rasmus, that smug, superior post wouldn't have had the word LINUX in it, would it?

Oohhh... maybe...

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca