FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » current events   » national news   » Arafat Gives Blood

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Arafat Gives Blood
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 17 September 2001 11:05 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Has everyone seen this image? The caption reads:

quote:
Yes, that's Yasser Arafat, president of the Palestinian nation, donating blood to help New Yorkers. An incredible gesture -- he's putting aside any personal feelings about the US. Beyond any words of sympathy or rhetoric he could offer, he's helping through personal action. Thelatest news is that he's also attempting to rally the Islamic nations to support the US's campaign against terror.

From www.thingo.net

From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 17 September 2001 11:57 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To quote Howard Stern, “Does anyone buy that crap?”

And just to go slightly off topic, I’m surprised no one has commented on Israel’s reaction. Sharon believes that the WTC bombings give him a cover to escalate his ‘war’ on Palestinians.
The CBC reported yesterday that even Bush was telling Sharon to back off, ‘cause Bush wants some Arab states to sign up with his anti-terrorist brigade.
Sharon, of course, is adamant that now is the time to escalate, to root out the terrorists (I hear an echo...).
I think Bush could do well with Arab, anti-American sentiment by pressuring Sharon. See the “U.S., Israel the same” article I posted in the morality thread.
But I'm not a foriegn affairs anayist.

Pimji
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 228

posted 18 September 2001 12:04 AM      Profile for Pimji   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was chilling to listen to him state, as he always does after each killing "I deplore these attacks...". It is something that I always think is only said for people "over there".

Hill top shrine an obstacle to Mideast peace

His willingness to help put an end to the terrorist attacks however well intentioned can not succeed as long as there is an entrenched belief of the three religions who each see the land where the Temple Mount now sits as it centerpiece in their own prophecies.
Somehow I can’t see Bush, Sharon and Arafat coming to a peace agreement. Each politico may agree in principal but add extreme poverty, plenty of military fire power, extreme religious zealotry, and well over two thousand years of history the chances of something called “A War on Terrorism” seems like an uphill battle if not just a small blip on the screen of history.

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: Pimji ]

From: South of Ottawa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 18 September 2001 01:27 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Audra, will this pint of blood be airlifted to New York?
From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 18 September 2001 02:36 AM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hill top shrine an obstacle to Mideast peace

This is an old story. I do not know if it is true, but it has been said that many people who had Reagan's ear were christian fundamentalists. They believed the "end times" were near and therefore it didn't make sense to "preserve" or "conserve" as it didn't matter anyway.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 September 2001 08:39 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rasmus, I laughed when I read that post because the same question was in my mind - Arafat is giving blood - from halfway around the world??

I guess it was a symbolic gesture, unless he was encouraging other Palestinians to do so as well, and actually WAS planning to have the blood airlifted to New York.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JCL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1387

posted 18 September 2001 05:07 PM      Profile for JCL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was surprised to see Arafat giving blood. I wondered if his intentions were true or just political posturing?
But then again, I suppose Arafat would be out to protect his own ass and the Palestinian people. When GWB went on the air a week ago tonight, when he said "we will make no distinction between the people who commit these acts of terrorism or the countries that harbour them." I believe that Arafat became concerned that the US would "look the other way" when and if Israel would do a massvie military push to get the Palestinians out of the Gaza & West Bank and perhaps the US would even aid Israel. But on another hand, because of the terrorist attacks on US forces in Lebanon in the early 1980s in which the PLO was behind it, Arafat was possibly concerned that US would attack them as a pay back from the 1983 Marines barrack bombing.

But now that Arafat and Israel has called a cease fire, that gives one less problem for the US to deal with for now while they concentrate on the WTC attacks.

From: Winnipeg. 35 days to Christmas yet no snow here. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 19 September 2001 05:45 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Today's Globe and Mail carries a report by a journalist who interviewed Bin Laden in the mid nineties within Afganistan. Those interviews incuded condemnation of the US military presence in Saudi Arabia, along with a denunciation of Yasser Arafat, who
was said to be waging war on Hamas.

So, they have been enemies for many years. Why wouldn't Arafat oppose Bin Laden on this last venture, also?

judym
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 29

posted 19 September 2001 06:32 PM      Profile for judym   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Palestinians in East Jerusalem

This and other images of people around the world can be found at uhavenoacces.com. Very moving.

[ September 19, 2001: Message edited by: judym ]

clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 19 September 2001 10:04 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The U.S. embassy in Warsaw picture is... freaky.
judym
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 29

posted 19 September 2001 10:35 PM      Profile for judym   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You mean the one with the guy in camouflage wearing a ski mask and bullet-proof jacket?

Several of the images of U.S. embassies really show how heavily fortified they are.

U.S. Embassy, Seoul, South Korea

[ September 19, 2001: Message edited by: judym ]

oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 20 September 2001 03:25 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this is really relevent to anything, but with all the anti-parkinson drugs that Arafat must be taking, his blood wouldn't be accepted in Canada or the USA.... just an aside really. It was the first thing that ocurred to me when I saw it on TV.

[ September 20, 2001: Message edited by: oldgoat ]

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 20 September 2001 03:29 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah -- have you too heard that Arafat has Parkinson's? I thought I knew that, but wasn't sure.
Markbo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 124

posted 20 September 2001 03:30 PM      Profile for Markbo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
"Yasir Arafat angrily rejected tonight any suggestion that Palestinians had rejoiced over the terrorist attack on the United States on Tuesday, declaring that the Palestinian reaction was one of identification and not satisfaction with American suffering.

"'For your information,' Mr. Arafat said, when asked in an interview about images shown around the world of Palestinians celebrating, 'it is clear and obvious that it was less than 10 children in East Jerusalem, and we punished them.' "

Whopper of the week in Slate magazine.
No wonder this guy lacks credibility.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 20 September 2001 03:35 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do you think all those racist yahoos in the U.S. attacking innocent people with brown skin are representative of Bush and the U.S. people in general? If not, why believe otherwise when it is arafat and the Palestinians?
Markbo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 124

posted 20 September 2001 03:59 PM      Profile for Markbo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I never said that but You don't hear many U.S. gov't officials trying to lie about how bad those racist actions are.

My point was only that Arafat lacks credibility.

I actually understand (although I do not agree with) the Palistinian response. They live in a world of hell and that is how some people react. I mean, my initial reaction was dismissive too, I still thought I would be flying to New York on a planned trip that friday. It took me about a hour to fully comprehend the disaster. I figure maybe their initial reaction was one of misunderstanding as well.

But by Arafat refusing to acknowledge it and lieing about it speaks to his character.

rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 20 September 2001 04:06 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well no one is going to score points with me by defending Arafat, who is certainly a cynical, corrupt man willing to sacrifice the lives of his own people and others in order to advance his cause.
From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 20 September 2001 05:19 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm no Arafat fan either, but about his lying about the celebrations...

It's true that the US has publicly acknowledged that some Americans committed racist attacks on Arab Americans, whereas Arafat is not admitting that some Palestinians celebrated the bombing.

However, the US doesn't have anything to lose by admitting those attacks and asking people not to do so, whereas Arafat is facing the threat of military action from the US if their country is seen as responsible, or even supportive of the terrorist action.

And I can see where the guy would be paranoid, considering that just having the US suspect your involvement seals your fate, as the Afghans are learning.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 21 September 2001 10:42 AM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A really good cartoon.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 21 September 2001 12:34 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remeber somewhere someone posted a message about the number 11 and very odd connections it has to the attack on September 11.

Someone else sent me this one. Strange how these things connect.

One of the planes that hit one of the towers was flight Q33NY.

In MS Word, type in "Q33NY" in capital letters. Now enlarge the font size to 26
Now change the font to Wingdings.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 21 September 2001 01:08 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Man. That's pretty freaky.
judym
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 29

posted 21 September 2001 02:21 PM      Profile for judym   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From CNN.com:

quote:
8:45 a.m. (all times are EDT): A hijacked passenger jet, American Airlines Flight 11 out of Boston, Massachusetts, crashes into the north tower of the World Trade Center, tearing a gaping hole in the building and setting it afire.

Plane hits WTC.
9:03 a.m.: A second hijacked airliner, United Airlines Flight 175 from Boston, crashes into the south tower of the World Trade Center and explodes. Both buildings are burning.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/11/chronology.attack/

A quick search on google for Q33NY only gets you discussion threads with the claim that this is the flight number of one of the planes:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=Q33NY

[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: judym ]

audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 21 September 2001 02:28 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Urban Legends! It was only a matter of time.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 21 September 2001 02:38 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Of course it was. Considering that the Nostradamus one went out probably the same day of the attacks, the Q33NY one shouldn't come as much of a surprise... Get ready for more!
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 21 September 2001 02:44 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Urban Legends! It was only a matter of time.

There were ULs circulating within 24 hours of the attack. One of the more bizarre was that rescuers were using trained cats to look for trapped people.

Go to groups.google.com and check out alt.folklore.urban for a complete selection.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca