FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » rabble reactions   » Rabble Relaunch Issues

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Rabble Relaunch Issues
Left Turn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8662

posted 27 October 2008 04:35 PM      Profile for Left Turn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know we've discussed this in the "Rabble Relauch Party This Thursday" thread in the Out and About section. However, since that thread is at 94 posts, I figured I'd start a new thread in Rabble Reactions to continue the discussion of issues around the Rabble Relaunch.

The big issue for me is still my name on the new rabble. It's still showing as Tim K., which is my login name on this software. It's a bit of a long story to explain this, which I arealdy did in the other thread, so I won't repeat it here. However, I do know I'm not the only person to have this problem.

Michelle mentioned in the other thread that while multiple accounts could have the same username on this software, this is not the case on the new software. Michelle mentioned that we can request a name change for our accounts, in order to have our real name (which many people used as their login name), not show up on our posts. This seems straightforward enough.

The complication is that we've been told that anything we do on the beta site, won't be carried over to the permanent site. We've been explicitly told that any posts we make on the beta site, will not be carried over to the permanent site. Again, simple enough. The question I have is, if we get a name change on the beta site, will it be carried over to the new site? The second question is, will the tech person even bother processing name change requests on the beta site (or is this person simply too overwhelmed with other issues to deal with user account issues on the beta site)?

My third question is, will posts made on this version of babble since the launch of the beta site, be carried over on to the permanent site?

I'm also interested in whether anyone else who's had user account problems on the beta site, has had these problems resolved or not.

janfromthebruce
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 14090

posted 27 October 2008 07:02 PM      Profile for janfromthebruce     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Left Turn:
I know we've discussed this in the "Rabble Relauch Party This Thursday" thread in the Out and About section. However, since that thread is at 94 posts, I figured I'd start a new thread in Rabble Reactions to continue the discussion of issues around the Rabble Relaunch.

The big issue for me is still my name on the new rabble. It's still showing as Tim K., which is my login name on this software. It's a bit of a long story to explain this, which I arealdy did in the other thread, so I won't repeat it here. However, I do know I'm not the only person to have this problem.

Michelle mentioned in the other thread that while multiple accounts could have the same username on this software, this is not the case on the new software. Michelle mentioned that we can request a name change for our accounts, in order to have our real name (which many people used as their login name), not show up on our posts. This seems straightforward enough.

The complication is that we've been told that anything we do on the beta site, won't be carried over to the permanent site. We've been explicitly told that any posts we make on the beta site, will not be carried over to the permanent site. Again, simple enough. The question I have is, if we get a name change on the beta site, will it be carried over to the new site? The second question is, will the tech person even bother processing name change requests on the beta site (or is this person simply too overwhelmed with other issues to deal with user account issues on the beta site)?

My third question is, will posts made on this version of babble since the launch of the beta site, be carried over on to the permanent site?

I'm also interested in whether anyone else who's had user account problems on the beta site, has had these problems resolved or not.

Tim, I signed in the other day no problem. That is different when I was on the site a couple of days before that in the testing stream. So I am not sure what is going on with yours. That said, it was pretty slow going.

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 27 October 2008 07:33 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Son of a gun! I finally logged on to new babble tonight without difficulty!

ETA: but it's not all good - I tried to post and bring up TAT, and nothing happens.

[ 27 October 2008: Message edited by: Boom Boom ]

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Left Turn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8662

posted 27 October 2008 10:42 PM      Profile for Left Turn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by janfromthebruce:
Tim, I signed in the other day no problem. That is different when I was on the site a couple of days before that in the testing stream. So I am not sure what is going on with yours. That said, it was pretty slow going.

I can sign in, but only under Tim K. The problem is I had two accounts with Left Turn as the user name on this software. I created an account under the name Tim Kennelly in October 2004. In March 2005, no longer content to post under my real name, I created another account with login name Tim K., username Left Turn. That's this account, which I've posted to since. Then in April 2005, Audra gave us a name change day, and I changed the username on the first account to Left Turn, so all my posts from both accounts would be under the same name.

All the account information is stored in a database, and all electronic databases require that the main entry be unique, although other fields can be the same. The main entry on this software is the login name. Since the username is not the main entry, there can be multiple babblers with the same user name. On the new software, the login name and username are the same, and are the main entry. So while I could have Left Turn as the username on both accounts on this software, I can't on the new software. The new software made the main entry (log in name , and username) Left Turn on my old account, because it had a lower number, and so was assigned a main entry before this account. When the software got around to assigning a main entry to this accout, Left Turn was no longer available, so it fell back on Tim K.

The only way to fix this problem is to have the name on my other account changed to something other than Left Turn (leftturn (no spaces), would suffice), before this account can be changed to Left Turn. Complicating matters is that the e-mail address for this account no longer exists, so if tech support e-mails me, I won’t get the e-mail.

admin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15572

posted 28 October 2008 12:38 AM      Profile for admin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to commend those who are undertaking, and working to affect the changeover.

Quite an organizational feat I am sure.

As a beta developer I see where such uses can be effective if one uses the box that shows up as a feedback link.

I followed this login problem as well to issuance of a of new password( yes you see my "admin" full name too. No surprise I am sure

I found difficulties as well that I am not sure how it allowed me to continue to work and help to push forward this agenda. The Nov 5 launch should be an interesting one.

Currently there are problems with the header.

(edited by bcg for massive sidescroll)

[ 28 October 2008: Message edited by: bigcitygal ]

From: the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
bigcitygal
Volunteer Moderator
Babbler # 8938

posted 28 October 2008 03:01 AM      Profile for bigcitygal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry, admin, but I had to remove over half your post due to all of your links not working and causing massive sidescroll. Please try again, and review your post in the thread to ensure all the links are working properly.
From: It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent - Q | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 28 October 2008 03:52 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey Left Turn, I've got all your information. I've been asked to keep track of all babblers with account problems and we'll get them resolved before the complete changeover takes place.

However, we don't have time to resolve it right this moment. Here's how it's working:

They're making tweaks and changes to a duplicate development site that we can't see or access. Then they're moving the changed site into the beta site, so that's why our input on the beta site isn't permanent. They do these updates once or twice a day, and when they do updates to babble, it wipes out everything since the last update.

So at the moment, during this development phase, which will be going on for another week or so, they can't really make those changes to your account on the beta site because it will just get wiped out with the next update. And they don't have time at the moment to deal with individual tech support tickets - but that doesn't mean you shouldn't send them your feedback and support requests. It just means they have to get to them in a certain order that makes sense for developing the site.

At the moment, that beta site is a tester. They're finding out what's wrong with it and fixing bugs with it, and any and all changes to it are temporary. Unfortunately, that also means that account changes are temporary, which is why it would be a waste of time for me or for them to change your account settings on it. That's why they're having me keep track.

I got your PM with the information, including your new e-mail address. I'm not promising it will be totally smooth, but I will make sure that the changes you want get done. I just don't know exactly when.

Also - because of these updates to the beta site, I also don't have moderator powers on the new site - they keep getting wiped out!

As for these posts on the old babble since the launch of the beta site - that's a really good question. I'm assuming they'll all be brought over, but I passed that question along and I'll get back to you as soon as I get an answer to it.

I want to thank you, Left Turn, for starting this thread and bringing up these issues. What we really, really need right now is feedback, lots of it, so we can fix the stuff that needs fixing.

The best place for specific feedback on bugs is through the beta site itself. If you're using Firefox, then on the bottom right-hand corner of each page is a little link that says "[-] Feedback". Click on this, and write your feedback about that page, and what it will do is to send the tech folks a message with a link to that page.

Unfortunately, that little feedback form is not available on each page in Internet Explorer. Sorry to those of you who have told me you can't download Firefox. You can still leave feedback, however, at http://beta.rabble.ca/contact.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12752

posted 28 October 2008 04:22 AM      Profile for Caissa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remind me again why there is a relaunch when this site works so well?
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 28 October 2008 04:41 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Read here for the reminder.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12752

posted 28 October 2008 04:49 AM      Profile for Caissa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Michelle.
Left Turn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8662

posted 28 October 2008 01:35 PM      Profile for Left Turn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your lengthy response, Michelle. I feel much more confident that even if my name issue can't be resolved on the beta site, it will be resolved enventually.
admin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 15572

posted 28 October 2008 07:27 PM      Profile for admin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bigcitygal:
Sorry, admin, but I had to remove over half your post due to all of your links not working and causing massive sidescroll. Please try again, and review your post in the thread to ensure all the links are working properly.

No problem. I just wanted to draw attention to the "numbered lines" that were giving you problems on the new beta.

Just click on button for newest download. The add ons do make the online experience much nicer and more secure.

Best,

[ 28 October 2008: Message edited by: admin ]

From: the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca