FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » rabble content   » rabble reactions   » The Pope cartoon revisited

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: The Pope cartoon revisited
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 21 April 2006 08:23 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some of you will remember that there was a controversy in the Fall about an animated cartoon -- the Pope cartoon -- created by our regular artist, Mike Constable. You probably didn't know that a complaint was brought against us to the Canadian Human Rights Commission.

I was interviewed by HRC a couple of times and wrote a presentation about our editorial views of the cartoon. Earlier this week, they wrote to say that the complaint has been dismissed because it did not come under the jurisdiction of the HRC.

This is the letter I wrote to the HRC:

quote:
I am writing to you as editor of rabble.ca, a news site that has had a
complaint brought against it in connection with an animated cartoon that was published on our site in April of 2005.

Mike Constable, who produced the animation, is a respected artist who has been with rabble.ca since it was founded five years ago. He is a satirist in the traditional sense of the word, using his art to comment on the news and
on issues of the day. As a responsible commentator, he enjoys freedom of expression on rabble.ca although as his editor, I have the right and responsibility to decide if his work appears or not - as I do with all our columnists and other contributors.

The animation under discussion depicted Benedict XVI shortly after he became the new pope. It showed the German pope tripping lightly across the scene, stopping in front of a statue of the Virgin Mary, looking around carefully and then raising his arm and saying, "Heil Mary."

I felt it was a legitimate comment on the fact that Benedict had served in the Hitler Youth while growing up in Germany. As an editor (and as a Catholic) I was not offended by it and did not feel that it reflected in any way on Catholics or Catholicism. It was an observation on something about the pope's past that was known and documented.

With this letter, I am including an article I wrote to explain to our readers our editorial view of this controversy and also a response to my article from Joanne McGarry, Executive Director of the Catholic Civil Rights League, the organization which had first raised objections to the animation.

Yours respectfully,

Sharon Fraser
Editor - rabble.ca

The articles that were included in our presentation are here and here.

From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
marzo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12096

posted 21 April 2006 08:36 PM      Profile for marzo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's fair to criticize the Pope for what he does or stands for but I think it's important to point out that children living under the regime of Adolf Hitler had no choice about being enrolled in the Hitler Youth movement because that was the school system. The only children not in the Hitler Youth were those in slave labour camps, being sent to gas chambers, subjected to experiments or hiding in secret places.
Sharon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4090

posted 21 April 2006 10:18 PM      Profile for Sharon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's fair to criticize the Pope for what he does or stands for but I think it's important to point out that children living under the regime of Adolf Hitler had no choice about being enrolled in the Hitler Youth movement ...

marzo, I think no one would disagree with you which is why the complaint to the Human Rights Commission was dismissed. It really only dealt with a reality of the pope's early life.

And rabble.ca has never and will never shirk from criticizing the pope for what he does or stands for.

From: Halifax, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca