babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » I'm starting this thread more or less entirely for skdadl

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm starting this thread more or less entirely for skdadl
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 08 March 2006 11:54 AM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Aw!

From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 March 2006 11:58 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Awwwwww. Very high Aw factor, audra. Thanks.

Aren't those beautiful photos? And that wee monkey looks like a good vet. He is checking kitty's ears for ear mites, always a good thing to do.

Amazingly, kitty is co-operating!

MartinArendt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9723

posted 08 March 2006 12:03 PM      Profile for MartinArendt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, like...then...can the rest of us post on this thread? Or is it like those threads, you know, in the feminism forum...where they're for only women to post on? Or, in this case, only for Audra and skdadl?

And, by posting on this thread and asking if I can post on this thread, am I meta-posting? And is it meta-meta-posting to ask the question in the first place?

I'm confused and my head hurts.

But I still think kitty and monkey are cute.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 March 2006 12:06 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That cat looks like it's thinking, "I'm going to eat you in a minute."
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 March 2006 12:06 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, Martin, some of those questions occurred to me too.

Not all of them, mind: you are so good at thinking up proliferating questions!

But, so, like: am I expected to write this whole thing myself?

deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 08 March 2006 12:09 PM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, as I sit here with the 70 year old feline empress of this household purring on my lap, I have been informed by the local authority on the subject that the smartest critter in that photograph is thinking: "Damn primates, such bloody know-it-alls."
From: missing in action | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
brebis noire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7136

posted 08 March 2006 12:11 PM      Profile for brebis noire     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
That cat looks like it's thinking, "I'm going to eat you in a minute."

Nope, it's definitely saying: ok, that feels really good, just don't pull too hard or you'll regret it. (my cat says that to my kids all the time, I recognize the look. )

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 March 2006 12:13 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Monkey grooming behaviour is fascinating, isn't it.

Do you think they're really concerned with the cleanliness part or just looking for something to eat?

audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 08 March 2006 12:20 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
skdadl was my INSPIRATION. Anyone can post in this thread!

OTTER WANTS A MONKEY.

From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
MartinArendt
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9723

posted 08 March 2006 12:21 PM      Profile for MartinArendt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think my meta questions have been addressed. General rule of thumb: if Michelle does something on Babble, it's ok for me to do it. Well, except for closing posts, and moderator stuff...I guess.

Anyway.

I'm hungry.

But first:

I'm crushing your head!!!

Erstwhile
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4845

posted 08 March 2006 12:31 PM      Profile for Erstwhile     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deBeauxOs:
I have been informed by the local authority on the subject that the smartest critter in that photograph is thinking: "Damn primates, such bloody know-it-alls."

Ha! I was just thinking, "This is how my cat sees me."

From: Deepest Darkest Saskabush | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 08 March 2006 12:38 PM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'm a cat person too, but I thought I'd add to the cuteness quotient, but adding this photo

There are more photos here.

If you're wondering how this scenario came about, it all started when Canada legalized same-sex marriage.

Or, possibly...

quote:
Cairo, an Italian mastiff puppy, was introduced as a playmate to 10-week-old Koza, a lion cub whose twin died, at the San Diego Wild Animal Park. The idea is that lions are social animals, but there are no other lion cubs at the park for Koza to interact with. Cairo is the next best thing.

[ 08 March 2006: Message edited by: Scott Piatkowski ]

From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 08 March 2006 12:44 PM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's all fun & games until someone loses an eye ...
beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 08 March 2006 12:46 PM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can well understand the look of bliss on the kitty's face. It's a soothing experience to have a monkey looking thru your hair for lice. Good as a massage any time.

(When I was in Indonesia, my hosts had a pet monkey.)

(And no, I don't think he actually found any lice. Or at least I hope he didn't.)

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 08 March 2006 12:46 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Proper ear care seems to be an obsession with animals.

This is neither my toilet-paper kitten nor my big drooly dog. Pets of a friend of a coworker. There's another pic where the daredevil kitty climbs on the dog's head.

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 08 March 2006 12:58 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Excuse me, I'm looking for the thread on inter-species marriage. Is this it?
brebis noire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7136

posted 08 March 2006 01:07 PM      Profile for brebis noire     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
no, actually, this is the thread for inter-species grooming.
deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 08 March 2006 01:15 PM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
posted by brebis noire: ... this is the thread for inter-species grooming.
Not grooming and briding?

HeywoodFloyd
token right-wing mascot
Babbler # 4226

posted 08 March 2006 01:30 PM      Profile for HeywoodFloyd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by audra trower williams:
skdadl was my INSPIRATION. Anyone can post in this thread!

OTTER WANTS A MONKEY.

I wanna be a monkey
a monkey monkey monkey
monkey monkey monkey
monkey monkey monkey.
I wanna be a monkey
a monkey monkey monkey.
Would you like to be one too?

From: Edmonton: This place sucks | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 March 2006 01:34 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dr Pavlov? Paging Dr Pavlov.

Your star case-study is here.

Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 08 March 2006 02:10 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We had a thread about the hamster who was fed to a snake, but the snake refused to eat him and the two became friends.

BBC.

West Coast Greeny
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6874

posted 08 March 2006 03:22 PM      Profile for West Coast Greeny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 08 March 2006 08:07 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 08 March 2006 08:12 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 08 March 2006 08:18 PM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
Amazingly, kitty is co-operating!

They co-operate with us, don't they?

From: an employer more progressive than rabble.ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boarsbreath
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9831

posted 08 March 2006 08:57 PM      Profile for Boarsbreath   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey! That's a serious picture! That's how they came to be with us, maybe cats, definitely dogs. Dog bones come up with human bones, in ways that do not suggest the dogs were dinner, from 100,000 years ago -- which although not monkey time, was certainly before homo sapiens sapiens time. We didn't really domesticate them, we and they co-evolved... which is so goddamn sweet...
From: South Seas, ex Montreal | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 08 March 2006 10:05 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

( photos from Cute Overload )

siren
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7470

posted 08 March 2006 10:58 PM      Profile for siren     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is familiar:

Sometimes we have to do this to cattle, usually only when a calf is not coming out properly from the birth canal. Usually.

From: Of course we could have world peace! But where would be the profit in that? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Clog-boy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11061

posted 09 March 2006 10:24 AM      Profile for Clog-boy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just received this marvellous picture of a mountain ridge in a powerpoint presentation. It says in the presentation that all pictures were authentic and haven't been tampered with.

Somehow, I thought of skdadl right away

[ 09 March 2006: Message edited by: Clog-boy ]

From: Arnhem, The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
kuri
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4202

posted 09 March 2006 10:28 AM      Profile for kuri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's a spectacular photo, Clog-boy! Do you know where that range is?
From: an employer more progressive than rabble.ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 09 March 2006 10:36 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why, kuri - I recognized that right away.

That is the famous Mount Pussmore.

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 09 March 2006 10:42 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It looks like a faked photo to me. If it isn't, it would have made media headlines around the world.
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 09 March 2006 11:18 AM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kuri:
That's a spectacular photo, Clog-boy! Do you know where that range is?
It must be in the Catskill Mountains.

Clog-boy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 11061

posted 09 March 2006 06:38 PM      Profile for Clog-boy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Did my Sherlock Holmes thing on it and I guess Boom Boom was right

Didn't find the actual picture, but I did find out where it came from.

It probably came from a photo-contest on worth100.com, like this one here

[ETA: Guess they're a lot further with photoshopping than I imagined..!]

[ 09 March 2006: Message edited by: Clog-boy ]

From: Arnhem, The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pyed Typer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12033

posted 10 March 2006 12:23 AM      Profile for Pyed Typer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Talking Cats Video

Funny Cats Video 2

Isn't Photoshop Fun!

From: Somewhere ahead of the rats | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 16 March 2006 12:06 AM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey! Skdadl! here are Lily Tomlin and Meryl Streep at the Oscars for you.
beibhnn
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3178

posted 16 March 2006 10:53 AM      Profile for beibhnn     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A cat with a monkey? Pshaw.

Cats just aren't cute unless they're chain smoking and playing instruments.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 16 March 2006 11:42 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the interests of fighting thread proliferation, this is as good a thread of any to say that my Renzo is ten years old sometime this week. So are two of skdadl's feline friends.

Renzo was a stray, so I don't know his exact date of birth. The vet told me how many weeks old he was when I took him in.

skdadl already mentioned this, but it was on a thread about a very solemn topic: the Dunblane Massacre, so it was hard to thread-drift-segue into cat talk.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 16 March 2006 12:02 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes - Minnie and Tildie were ten on Monday.

March is one of the main kitten seasons - not always such a happy thought, I fear. If you can, contact your local cat-rescue org and offer to foster or adopt.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 16 March 2006 12:15 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, Renzo saved me that trouble, as he adopted me ... but a week later, his intestinal blockage cost me a good $1000 - and that was a cut-rate price the vet gave me as I had taken in a stray. Renzo was on IV drip for ten days.

Still, a better deal than most human males I've taken in, alas.

Is Tildie named after: ~?

[ 16 March 2006: Message edited by: lagatta ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 16 March 2006 12:39 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
lagatta wrote:

quote:
Still, a better deal than most human males I've taken in, alas.

Or, depending on your mood, perhaps that should be

No, Tildie is short for Mathilda; Minnie is Minerva.

My guys all have multi nicknames. They change; they elaborate - it comes from all that cooing, y'know?

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 16 March 2006 12:44 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I forget whether this is too big - if it is, I'll take it away and fix later.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 16 March 2006 12:45 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Horrors, skdadl, and I was just whingeing about "guys" as a gender-neutral term in another thread. Aren't the grils in the majority chez toi?

It is definitely these days. The screwed-up refugee claimant who caused me so much grief is a distant memory - before Renzo.

Scout
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1595

posted 16 March 2006 12:48 PM      Profile for Scout     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For skdadl, two of my furry mafia.

Wubbie

Pre-Devil's Haircut

Devil's Haircut

From: Toronto, ON Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca