babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Slippery slope - polygamy leads to same-sex marriage

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Slippery slope - polygamy leads to same-sex marriage
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 25 January 2006 03:58 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was just reading in John Doyle's Globe column (behind subscriber firewall) that tonight on the fifth estate Hana Gartner pays a return visit to the infamous BC community Bountiful.

quote:
In Bountiful, the Warren Blackmore Hana Gartner meets is not the man she met a few years ago. He's been stripped of power and excommunicated for his failure to support Jeffs. Mind you, there is speculation that he is manoeuvring to replace Jeffs as the main leader.

This is one tangled story. There's a private eye who has spent several years looking for Jeffs. There's a newly built Texas compound that is ominously remote and well guarded. There's the sect motto, "Keep Sweet," which really means "keep quiet."

According to Gartner, two of Blackmore's approximately 20 wives recently got married, to each other. The twists and turns in the tale beggar description here.

From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
West Coast Greeny
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6874

posted 25 January 2006 04:45 PM      Profile for West Coast Greeny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What about same-sex polygamy?
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 25 January 2006 04:48 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Worse. They all lead to dancing.

Well, c'mon - someone had to say it.

anne cameron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8045

posted 25 January 2006 10:20 PM      Profile for anne cameron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And singing. Bawdy songs, auld songs, even songs to which most have never learned the real words....tsk tsk
From: tahsis, british columbia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 25 January 2006 11:23 PM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
... two of Blackmore's approximately 20 wives recently got married, to each other ...
I'd bet anything those two were off together, guarding sheep and we all know what happens next, right?

It had to be ewe, it had to be ewe
I wandered around, and finally found
The somebody who could make me be true
Could make me be blue or even be glad
Just to be sad just thinking of ewe
Some others I've seen might never be mean
Might never be cross or try to be boss
But they wouldn't do
For nobody else gave me the thrill
With all your faults I love ewe still
It had to be ewe
It had to be ewe
It had to be ewe

And don't get me started on the effects of sheep pheromones ...

[ 26 January 2006: Message edited by: deBeauxOs ]

From: missing in action | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
anne cameron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8045

posted 26 January 2006 12:02 AM      Profile for anne cameron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Never overlook the lanolin!! Remember the ad "you never saw a bald sheep"....

Now I'll be humming that all night...it had to be ewe, wonderful ewe, it had to be ewe..and ewe and ewe

Didn't see the entire programme but the guy looks even more like an overstuffed sausage than he did in the previous programme. At least this time, in the part I saw, he didn't try his ham handed flirting with Hana Gartner.

(ham handed..ewe...very animalistic we are tonight...thinks he's cock of the walk..bull of the woods...never send a steer to do the bull's job...oooops, sorry, we're not talking the Harpo's tonight, right?)

deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 26 January 2006 12:23 AM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In which case you would want to avoid the thread about promiscuous female bats and how it's all their fault that the male of their species have evolved smaller brains.

Speaking of animals, how is Corby?

[ 26 January 2006: Message edited by: deBeauxOs ]

anne cameron
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8045

posted 26 January 2006 11:51 AM      Profile for anne cameron     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Corby seems to be holding on. She has a blue spot in her good (only) eye but has found the bird feeder and the water cup so I'm not hunkered in the rain with my recuperating hip pounding , trying to get cat kibble into her one by one by another one. The wild rellies are very upset and hang around during the day and Taxi the pigeon defies them to do fly-pasts (she used to stay away from my place because the crows chased her, ganged up on her). Right now we're having hell's own wind and rain storm so I'm keeping Corby in the dog travel cage because I don't know if she is fully blind or just needs a seeing eye canary or what...I tried bringing her and the cage into the house, where it's warm, and she freaked right out so she's on the deck, as shielded from the storm as I can manage. Neighbours are concerned, and it bothers me very much because I don't think birds belong in cages, but...for now that's the only option I can think of...
Boarsbreath
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9831

posted 03 February 2006 12:48 AM      Profile for Boarsbreath   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Man, I took this to be serious. Seems plausible enough...why would you be polygamous unless you sought variety? SSM available, you'll try it. PLUS, with monogamy you have to choose, male or female, so if your bi-quotient is just under half, you'll go the straight way. With a polygamous option, hell, you'll go with your preferences to their true degrees and mix in one or two same-sexers. Result: more SSMs.

Bono redux, that's where we're going here.

From: South Seas, ex Montreal | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 03 February 2006 01:23 AM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
from first post:
quote:
... Hana Gartner pays a return visit to the infamous BC community Bountiful. ... two of Blackmore's approximately 20 wives recently got married, to each other
Chaos!!! Anarchy!!! What about the children? How will they know who their mothers are ... oh wait...

Pyed Typer
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 12033

posted 11 February 2006 04:51 PM      Profile for Pyed Typer     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Everbody forgets polyandry, or biological overkill.
From: Somewhere ahead of the rats | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
deBeauxOs
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 10099

posted 11 February 2006 05:21 PM      Profile for deBeauxOs     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
posted by Pyed Typer: Everbody forgets polyandry, or biological overkill.
Well, I don't. I think that it is a great idea. If I had the means, I would keep a harem of men - mostly gay - with a number of skills that could service my needs : carpentry, computer wizardry, cooking, cleaning and gardening.

Boarsbreath
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 9831

posted 11 February 2006 06:54 PM      Profile for Boarsbreath   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
(Pedant moment)

Polygamy includes polyandry, so it's not forgottn, just overlooked. One man + more than one woman, the human alternative pattern, is polygyny.

So if you're in a regular-guy regular-gal kind of hitch-up, introduce yourself at cocktail [sic] parties as in a monogynous-monoandric thing.

From: South Seas, ex Montreal | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca