babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Happy Mothers' Day!

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Happy Mothers' Day!
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 08 May 2005 11:32 AM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's a thread for Mothers' Day, and here's a Mothers' Day laff to start things off...
From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hephaestion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4795

posted 08 May 2005 12:14 PM      Profile for Hephaestion   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And in honour of VE Day, let us remember all of the Silver Cross Mothers
From: goodbye... :-( | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 May 2005 12:26 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I noticed on that list of mothers, they were all "Mrs." which I found kind of weird. I guess no single mothers (or feminists) have lost children to war?

[ 08 May 2005: Message edited by: Michelle ]

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hinterland
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4014

posted 08 May 2005 12:28 PM      Profile for Hinterland        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My mother called me this morning to tell me it was Mother's Day, but that she didn't think I needed to celebrate it, given the myriad ways she has disappointed me and continues to disappoint me.

Mom; always good for a laugh.

From: Québec/Ontario | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 May 2005 12:30 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I called my mom, but she wasn't home! Oh well. Hopefully she's out having a nice time with her mom. I'm just glad I actually managed to get a card to her on time this year. I remembered on Wednesday and sent it Xpresspost. She'll probably scold me for spending more on the postage than the card.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 08 May 2005 12:36 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My mum wasn't a Silver Cross mum but she was a war worker in Ottawa so she has keen memories of VE-Day there. She hates Mother's Day (so do I, but she is a mum) but we had a great talk about the end of the war and I had the whole account of the women who typed up the terms of surrender to chat about - remembering that they always had to type up everything in triplicate including long and complicated lists.

[ 08 May 2005: Message edited by: lagatta ]

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Granola Girl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8078

posted 08 May 2005 03:54 PM      Profile for Granola Girl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Happy Mothers Day to all our mums on babble - the single moms, the married moms, the natural and adopted moms, the much abused step-moms and all the women who compulsively turn their heads in the grocery store whenever a small voice cries out in distress.

I'm celebrating by attending a march and rally to deamand a national childcare plan!

(And happy mother's day, too, to all the wonderful childcare workers - most of them women - who temporarily take our place every day for low pay and little recognition).

[ 08 May 2005: Message edited by: Granola Girl ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 May 2005 06:10 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Granola Girl:
and all the women who compulsively turn their heads in the grocery store whenever a small voice cries out in distress.

Hee. And as all us moms who have shopped with our little toddlers can tell you, that often means the compulsive head-turning that happens when your little angel has a meltdown in the cookie aisle. So I second those thanks, especially to all those women whose compulsive looks have melted into smiles of encouragement to the moms, and understanding towards the munchkins.

Hailey
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6438

posted 08 May 2005 10:14 PM      Profile for Hailey     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope everyone had a sweet day.
Rush
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6000

posted 08 May 2005 11:23 PM      Profile for Rush     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Because moms matter", the BC NDP website has Mother's day e-cards.

[ 08 May 2005: Message edited by: Rush ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca