FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » BWAGA helpful hint #242

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: BWAGA helpful hint #242
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 04 May 2005 02:05 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How to impress that "cute one" down at the laundromat.
From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Suzette
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7708

posted 04 May 2005 02:14 PM      Profile for Suzette     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey, that's a pretty cool folding technique! And this can help me pick up at the laundromat, you say?
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 04 May 2005 02:24 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Guaranteed to attract the anal-retentive mate of your dreams!
From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 04 May 2005 02:25 PM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Suzette:
Hey, that's a pretty cool folding technique! And this can help me pick up at the laundromat, you say?

Well, I suppose it would work better for guys ... but if it will save guys time doing a boring task like laundry, then mastering this technique will have all the lazy guys flocking to you asking you to show them how to do it ... if you're into lazy guys then have a blast.

From: Defending traditional marriage since June 28, 2005 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 04 May 2005 02:26 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Where were the other 241 posted?

My Oma is that meticulous when folding clothes too. I remember offering to help her fold clothes one time, and I'm somewhat anal about folding clothes myself (when I DO it, that is) - fold shirts properly, fold underwear in three sections, etc.

So I started helping her fold shirts, and I swear to god, it would take her about half a minute per shirt, because she would be so meticulous about it. I could see that the several articles I folded were making her absolutely nuts, so I stopped. She really is the living embodiment of the German Hausfrau stereotype.

Of course, I know someone else on babble who irons her SHEETS. It's apparently not enough to take them out of the dryer immediately and fold them perfectly. No, they must be IRONED.

You know who you are.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Suzette
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7708

posted 04 May 2005 02:33 PM      Profile for Suzette     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm no sheet-ironer, but I confess to being ex-military... you can never shake some of those habits off, y'know?
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 04 May 2005 02:47 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I used to insist on hanging my collared shirts with all the collars pointing to the left, and the shirts themselves in "chromatic" order: reds, oranges, yellows, greens, blues, purples.

Now I'm down to just the collars facing left.

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 04 May 2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Ann Landers used to iron her towels or some such thing. Why iron anything? It'll just get wrinkled again. For that matter, why make your bed? It'll just get messy again. For that matter...
From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
blacklisted
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8572

posted 04 May 2005 04:30 PM      Profile for blacklisted     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
laundromat? cute girls at laundromats? the only thing that you can fold to impress cute girls ,at a laundry ,or anywhere else is something in a large denomination.
sorry, the alimony check ate my paycheck again.

Suzette
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7708

posted 04 May 2005 04:39 PM      Profile for Suzette     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blacklisted:
the only thing that you can fold to impress cute girls ,at a laundry ,or anywhere else is something in a large denomination.

Well, obviously, because all women are gold diggers, right? Perhaps money's the only thing you've ever had going for you?

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 04 May 2005 04:48 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, strictly speaking, he's right. There are only so many things you can fold:

- a poker hand
- a shirt or other piece of clothing
- a paper airplane
- an origami thingy
- money

Of those, money is the most likely to impress someone, wouldn't you say?

We could easily test it though. Send two average looking guys to the laundromat. One guy folds t-shirts while another riffles a fat stack of c-notes. Whoever gets the most attention from the opposite sex wins.

Suzette
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7708

posted 04 May 2005 04:51 PM      Profile for Suzette     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Shirts and origami thingies are trickier to fold than notes... although I suppose it depends how you fold the notes, really, doesn't it? Or maybe the "cuteness" of the audience is a factor that I'm not taking into account here?
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 04 May 2005 04:53 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the guy who was ostentatiously folding "c-notes" (how hip, Magoo! ) would probably attract a lot more eye-rolling than attraction.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 04 May 2005 04:59 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Of course there's always the scattergun approach: Moneygami

[ 04 May 2005: Message edited by: Mr. Magoo ]

Tommy Shanks
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3076

posted 04 May 2005 05:06 PM      Profile for Tommy Shanks     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Christ, I knew a guy who ironed his underwear and then put them in the closet on pant-hangers. His underwear!!!

[ 04 May 2005: Message edited by: Tommy Shanks ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 04 May 2005 05:14 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This thread not endorsed by your faithful treasurer.

yrs sincerely
skdadl
yr faithful BWAGA treasurer

paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 04 May 2005 05:18 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stamp out vowel deletions!

Support the rights of vowels!

From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 04 May 2005 05:20 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Shurely you're not saying we need a vowel movement, pax?
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 04 May 2005 05:23 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, a movement on behalf of vowels. Vowel movements would involve x-rays and scopes and other messy things. We want people not to pass over vowels, not to pass vowels.
Stephen Gordon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4600

posted 04 May 2005 05:24 PM      Profile for Stephen Gordon        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Free Sarah! She did such a good job voicing Violet in The Incredibles!.

And she writes books, too!

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 04 May 2005 05:30 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Stamp out vowel deletions!

Failing that, could we at least ask "Y" to make up its friggin' mind?

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 04 May 2005 05:34 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't remember ever folding a shirt. If I'se travelling, I just put the shirt and hanger in the suitcase. When I get to my destination, I hang them up. So there's a few wrinkles, who gives a sh*t? I'm assuming women like me for me, not for my damned shirts. I just wear Polo shirts, anyway.
From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 04 May 2005 05:46 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
We want people not to pass over vowels, not to pass vowels.

OK, but I can already foresee a split in the movement. Some will say that passing over consonants is a bigger issue, at least in conversation. "G" in "-ing" suffixes may go extinct one day. So we could end up in that old hierarchy-of-deletions argument.

quote:
Failing that, could we at least ask "Y" to make up its friggin' mind?

Tough to be "Y," they say. One part of the alphabet suspects you're a tourist, or just experimenting; the other oscilates between silly fantasies, and just contemptuously lumping you in with the first group.

[ 04 May 2005: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
maestro
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7842

posted 04 May 2005 09:15 PM      Profile for maestro     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You gotta know how to hold'em
Know how to fold'em
Know where to tuck them in
Know when to iron

Never count your money
When you're still in the laundry
There'll be time enough for counting
When the drying's done

[ 04 May 2005: Message edited by: maestro ]

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 04 May 2005 09:47 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Better than the original!
catje
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7841

posted 05 May 2005 04:13 AM      Profile for catje     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:

Of course, I know someone else on babble who irons her SHEETS. It's apparently not enough to take them out of the dryer immediately and fold them perfectly. No, they must be IRONED.

You know who you are.

Heather Mallick?

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 05 May 2005 07:05 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Geez. Speaking of sheets, I gave up on those white bread sheets years ago - now I just use cotton _flannel_ sheets, nice and warm and are about as anti-iron as anything can get. Cold white sheets? Ugh. Liberate your bed! Go flannel!
Anchoress
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4650

posted 05 May 2005 07:27 AM      Profile for Anchoress     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think the guy who was ostentatiously folding "c-notes" (how hip, Magoo! ) would probably attract a lot more eye-rolling than attraction.

Speak for yourself, Michelle.

I saw the video for folding dress shirts a few years ago, and I've used their technique ever since!

From: Vancouver babblers' meetup July 9 @ Cafe Deux Soleil! | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 05 May 2005 08:01 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catje:
Heather Mallick?

Nah, I don't know Heather Mallick - I have no idea how she does her laundry.

Contrarian
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6477

posted 05 May 2005 04:09 PM      Profile for Contrarian     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boom Boom:
...Liberate your bed! Go flannel!

Not good in conjunction with hot flashes. Not good at all.

From: pretty far west | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 05 May 2005 05:01 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Turn on the a/c?
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 05 May 2005 05:14 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is better than the original, maestro.

quote:
Originally posted by 'lance:

Tough to be "Y," they say. One part of the alphabet suspects you're a tourist, or just experimenting; the other oscilates between silly fantasies, and just contemptuously lumping you in with the first group.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "Y" the male gene? Y'know: the defective one?

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 05 May 2005 11:30 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
... sakes. You slave all afternoon over a hot keyboard, using all your skill and wit to cook up just the right sly analogy -- subtle, yet piquant -- and what happens?

Someone comes along and immediately makes a grab for the ketchup bottle.

Well! I cannot work under these conditions! I... I... I'll go and cook on the dark side, that's what I'll do! They'll appreciate my work over there, just you wait and see!

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 05 May 2005 11:55 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 'lance:
Someone comes along and immediately makes a grab for the ketchup bottle.

What's wrong with ketchup? Gotta have my vegetables, you know.

maestro
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7842

posted 06 May 2005 04:18 AM      Profile for maestro     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "Y" the male gene? Y'know: the defective one?

XY = Male

XX = Female

XXX = Conjunction

XXXX =

[ 06 May 2005: Message edited by: maestro ]

verbatim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 569

posted 06 May 2005 04:28 AM      Profile for verbatim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Well, he'd certainly attract my attention --- on the way back to his car, with a fish gaff.

We gotta redistribute the wealth somehow.

Anyhow, I tried that Japanese folding-trick, and good golly it works! I have a stack of neatly folded t-shirts now --- sitting on an undifferentiated mass of pants and dress shirts. Suzette --- I might even do some laundry!

Thank you, Japan!

From: The People's Republic of Cook Street | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 06 May 2005 07:29 AM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Why does it always have to be us guys folding the c-notes? If it was a gal folding the c-notes, it'll get my attention! (that, and a little flash of the leg).

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 06 May 2005 08:15 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
verbatim and other guys: can you actually follow that video? I have watched it over and over; I get the first steps; but then she is just going too fast for me to see.

I mean, I know my eyes are declining, but -- can you really see enough to copy her?

brebis noire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7136

posted 06 May 2005 08:23 AM      Profile for brebis noire     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can't tell what she's doing, either, skdadl. Actually, it kind of reminds me of my surgery classes: zip, twist, tie, and voilà, it's fixed/excised/ligated. But it's never that easy, except for the digitally gifted.
andrean
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 361

posted 06 May 2005 03:28 PM      Profile for andrean     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

You know who you are.

When one is single, and not a member of BWAGA, one needs to iron her sheets, since she never knows who might be seeing them. Wouldn't do for one's one-nighters to think that one is slovenly housekeeper!

Of course, when one's spouse has only eye-rolling contempt for ironing, one's standards relax a little. The ironing board is more used to display a feather boa than for its intended purpose.

From: etobicoke-lakeshore | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 06 May 2005 03:36 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by andrean:
When one is single, and not a member of BWAGA, one needs to iron her sheets, since she never knows who might be seeing them. Wouldn't do for one's one-nighters to think that one is slovenly housekeeper!

If you are having one-nighters, you must transfer your membership to BWaGS, and resign from BWAGA, as clearly you are are getting some.

[ 06 May 2005: Message edited by: paxamillion ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 06 May 2005 03:37 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heh. I knew. Secretly, I knew.

But andrean: You must know that the Duchess of Windsor ("One can never be too rich, or too thin") insisted on sheets that had been ironed not only on the board, but then again after they had been carried to the bed and fitted thereon.

Daily.

After I read that story, I just plain gave up on sheets. I mean, if I'm going to be a slattern by comparison whatever I do, I might as well have a slattern's advantages.

andrean
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 361

posted 06 May 2005 04:39 PM      Profile for andrean     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fortunatly, skdadl, the cord on my iron doesn't extend far enough to permit that option or we might be seeing the beginning of a whole new obsession.
From: etobicoke-lakeshore | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 06 May 2005 04:51 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Ironing....obsessions...

Damn you all, I'm off for a cold shower now.

Thanks alot, wierdos.

From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Suzette
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7708

posted 06 May 2005 06:14 PM      Profile for Suzette     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by verbatim:

Suzette --- I might even do some laundry!

(Oh, hang on, you had me believing that for a second.)

[ 06 May 2005: Message edited by: Suzette ]

'topherscompy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2248

posted 06 May 2005 10:44 PM      Profile for 'topherscompy        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

[ 02 May 2006: Message edited by: 'topherscompy ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 06 May 2005 11:18 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey, I just tried that with my new RABBLE SHIRT! I look stunning, let me tell you. I'd post the picture, but I'd prefer not to have my dorkitude saved for posterity.
No Yards
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4169

posted 07 May 2005 12:28 AM      Profile for No Yards   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
verbatim and other guys: can you actually follow that video? I have watched it over and over; I get the first steps; but then she is just going too fast for me to see.

I mean, I know my eyes are declining, but -- can you really see enough to copy her?

Try this site, there is a better quality video (the broadcast-mpg, which is 10Megs, but easier to follow.)

Suzette
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7708

posted 07 May 2005 08:24 PM      Profile for Suzette     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
But andrean: You must know that the Duchess of Windsor ("One can never be too rich, or too thin") insisted on sheets that had been ironed not only on the board, but then again after they had been carried to the bed and fitted thereon.

Daily.

I can barely bring myself to say this, but we actually had to do that when I first joined the Navy. Yes, ironed once, then once again on the bed. Important skill to be honed in the defence of one's nation, as I'm sure you'll agree.

beluga2
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3838

posted 07 May 2005 08:36 PM      Profile for beluga2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by paxamillion:
If you are having one-nighters, you must transfer your membership to BWaGS, and resign from BWAGA, as clearly you are are getting some.

Maybe we need a new subgroup: BWAGM (Babblers Who Aren't Getting Much).

From: vancouvergrad, BCSSR | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 07 May 2005 11:00 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Or: BWAGS (Babblers Who Are Getting Some)
steffie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3826

posted 08 May 2005 12:59 AM      Profile for steffie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
if I'm going to be a slattern by comparison whatever I do, I might as well have a slattern's advantages

skdadl: you've captured my essence.

From: What are the roots that clutch, what branches grow / Out of this stony rubbish? | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
verbatim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 569

posted 08 May 2005 01:13 AM      Profile for verbatim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by No Yards:
Try this site, there is a better quality video (the broadcast-mpg, which is 10Megs, but easier to follow.)

Hmmm... that little flip at the end, I gotta try that too.

I suspect that this method is mimicking the process used by shirt-folding machines in factories. Even so, it's pretty cool.

From: The People's Republic of Cook Street | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca