babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » School mistakes huge burrito for weapon

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: School mistakes huge burrito for weapon
robbie_dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 195

posted 29 April 2005 07:48 PM      Profile for robbie_dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Story Link

quote:
CLOVIS, N.M. - A call about a possible weapon at a middle school prompted police to put armed officers on rooftops, close nearby streets and lock down the school.

Someone called authorities Thursday after seeing a boy carrying something long and wrapped into Marshall Junior High.

The drama ended two hours later when the suspicious item was identified as a 30-inch burrito filled with steak, guacamole, lettuce, salsa and jalapenos and wrapped inside tin foil and a white T-shirt.

"I didn't know whether to laugh or cry," school Principal Diana Russell said.

State police, Clovis police and the Curry County Sheriff's Department arrived at the school shortly after 8:30 a.m. They searched the premises and determined there was no immediate danger.

Russell said the mystery was solved after she brought everyone in the school together in the auditorium to explain what was going on.

"The kid was sitting there as I'm describing this (report of a student with a suspicious package) and he's thinking, 'Oh, my gosh, they're talking about my burrito.'"

Afterward, eighth-grader Michael Morrissey approached her.

"He said, 'I think I'm the person they saw,'" Russell said.

The burrito was part of Morrissey's extra-credit assignment to create commercial advertising for a product.

"We had to make up a product and it could have been anything. I made up a restaurant that specialized in oddly large burritos," Morrissey said.

After students heard the description of what police were looking for, he and his friends began to make the connection. He then took the burrito to the office.

"The police saw it and everyone just started laughing. It was a laughter of relief," Morrissey said.

"Oh, and I have a new nickname now. It's Burrito Boy."

[ 29 April 2005: Message edited by: robbie_dee ]

Papal Bull
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7050

posted 29 April 2005 07:54 PM      Profile for Papal Bull   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Deliciously hilarious!
From: Vatican's best darned ranch | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jumble
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7453

posted 29 April 2005 08:48 PM      Profile for Jumble     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Too funny!
From: Gatineau (Québec) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 29 April 2005 08:59 PM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
"The kid was sitting there as I'm describing this (report of a student with a suspicious package) and he's thinking, 'Oh, my gosh, they're talking about my burrito.'"

Is that a burrito in your pocket or . . .

oh, nevermind

From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Reality. Bites.
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 6718

posted 29 April 2005 09:26 PM      Profile for Reality. Bites.        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyone who doubts a burrito can be a lethal weapon has never eaten at Taco Bell.
From: Gone for good | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 29 April 2005 09:41 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yo quiero Taco Bell!
From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 29 April 2005 09:50 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, it could have been used in the production of weapons of ass destruction.
verbatim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 569

posted 29 April 2005 09:50 PM      Profile for verbatim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm just glad that the snipers didn't see something else that looked dangerous and act accordingly. The United States is a nation under siege -- from itself.
From: The People's Republic of Cook Street | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 29 April 2005 09:53 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oops... double post deleted.

[ 29 April 2005: Message edited by: Albireo ]

Boom Boom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7791

posted 29 April 2005 11:03 PM      Profile for Boom Boom     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by verbatim:
I'm just glad that the snipers didn't see something else that looked dangerous and act accordingly. The United States is a nation under siege -- from itself.

I'm watching Fahrenheit 9/11 on TMN.ca, I've seen it before, but I still get pissed off watching that turd Bush. Just this week I was reading that the CBO predicted a $460 *billion* iscal deficit for this year. I can't find anything to like about that Administration, whatsoever.

From: Make the rich pay! | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
maestro
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7842

posted 30 April 2005 03:40 PM      Profile for maestro     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The burrito was part of Morrissey's extra-credit assignment to create commercial advertising for a product.

"We had to make up a product and it could have been anything. I made up a restaurant that specialized in oddly large burritos," Morrissey said.

Teach them little suckers advertising early...

Scott Piatkowski
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1299

posted 02 May 2005 12:18 AM      Profile for Scott Piatkowski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's only funny because he wasn't shot 41 times.
From: Kitchener-Waterloo | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Granola Girl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8078

posted 02 May 2005 02:02 AM      Profile for Granola Girl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But the real question is: has anyone yet mistaken a giant weapon for a burrito?
Fidel
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5594

posted 02 May 2005 05:15 AM      Profile for Fidel     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The charges could've been assault with a delicious weapon. Gotta watch out for the green chili peppers.
From: Viva La Revolución | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Granola Girl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 8078

posted 02 May 2005 05:49 PM      Profile for Granola Girl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The google ad for this thread is just too funny.
[ 02 May 2005: Message edited by: Granola Girl ]

[ 02 May 2005: Message edited by: Granola Girl ]

aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 04 May 2005 04:53 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wrapped in tinfoil? I'm surprised no one has made the obvious Spinal Tap connection..
From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca