FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » pendant traps

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: pendant traps
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 01 February 2005 12:11 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A pendant trap is set to trap a pendant. One of the cleverer pendant traps is the word "pendant", so used, itself; I was once snared in it when 'lance used it, and I've been fond of it ever since.

Variations on the theme that I am fond of:

--deliberately referring to the Star Trek character as Dr. Spock when trekkies are afoot -- also, be sure to call them trekkies

--in a similar vein, contributing to a discussion on cult favourites like the Lord of the Rings with comments like "Gandolf, the king of all the elves in Middle Earth" -- it's only fun if there are aficionados present, and you come off as sincere.

Does anyone else have any little sadisms for our delectation?

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anchoress
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4650

posted 01 February 2005 12:15 AM      Profile for Anchoress     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LOL calling a pedant a pendant lol lol
From: Vancouver babblers' meetup July 9 @ Cafe Deux Soleil! | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 01 February 2005 12:18 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dang! Mojo Nixon trapped me!

While he was singing Elvis is Everywhere at a long-deconstructed venue, I hollered "It's Mister Spock!" at him after he mentioned "Dr. Spock and all that Star Trek jive".

Mojo didn't hear me (he was bouncing water coolers off his head by that time), but Skid Roper looked over with a sympathetic glance and nodded my way.

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 01 February 2005 12:19 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I had a friend in university who'd hit the roof everytime I:

- called table tennis "ping pong"
- referred to the science of the stars as "Astrology"
- talked about well-known Canadian pianist Elliot Gould

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 01 February 2005 12:48 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Magoo, I think I'll be borrowing those from you. With due credit, of course. My favourite is "Elliot Gould". It works so well because Elliot Gould is Canadian.

I can already see it now: did you know that Elliot Gould composed two versions of the Goldberg Variations? That's why they're called "variations".

The possibilities are endless.

[ 01 February 2005: Message edited by: rasmus raven ]

Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 01 February 2005 02:54 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anchoress:
LOL calling a pedant a pendant lol lol

LOL

You got yourself a nice catch there, rasmus

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
verbatim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 569

posted 01 February 2005 06:23 AM      Profile for verbatim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rasmus raven:
"Gandolf, the king of all the elves in Middle Earth"

Ahem. It's Gandalf .

From: The People's Republic of Cook Street | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 01 February 2005 07:20 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ha! You caught one already, rasmus!
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 01 February 2005 07:23 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What's the matter with ping pong?
Américain Égalitaire
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7911

posted 01 February 2005 09:48 AM      Profile for Américain Égalitaire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who is a massage therapist who goes ballistic anytime someone calls her a "masseuse." I only made that mistake once.

Also, watch the way you pronounce "masonry" around my architect wife. She has a fit if it comes out "masonary." She heard someone say that at Home Depot and I almost had to drag her away.

From: Chardon, Ohio USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 01 February 2005 02:51 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Could it be, brother rasmus, that your language pet peeves thread is a pendant trap of another, and even more subtle sort?
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 01 February 2005 02:55 PM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, and Rasmus: that's a stunning pedant you have around your neck.
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 01 February 2005 02:56 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmm. I've recently taken to calling "Dr. Phil" "Mr.Phil", and I'm quite enjoying that.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 01 February 2005 03:15 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's good, Audra. We should refer to those other shouters as "Ms Laura," "Mr. Dobson," and so forth.
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
robbie_dee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 195

posted 01 February 2005 03:55 PM      Profile for robbie_dee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

[ 01 February 2005: Message edited by: robbie_dee ]

catje
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7841

posted 01 February 2005 04:49 PM      Profile for catje     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
'To orientate'. Part of a growing class of verbs made from nouns which originally came from much simpler verbs. Try these around anyone who cares about language, and away they'll go.

And rightly so, I might additionalize.

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 01 February 2005 04:56 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I used to work with an Instructional Designer whose bugbear was the word "utilize". It's a real word, and I suppose most people use it correctly, but her question was "why the hell can't they just say 'use'? It means the same thing!". The answer, of course, is that 'use' sounds so very plain, whereas 'utilize' sounds so self-motivated, so 'take charge'. Like, "Well, Mary wanted to use Mozilla, but Bob suggested we utilize IE." Sorry, Mary, but your choice of verb is so last week.

Now, of course, I never use 'utilize' when 'use' will do, and whenever I hear some shirt use the word in a boardroom I smile inside.

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 01 February 2005 05:16 PM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 'lance:
Could it be, brother rasmus, that your language pet peeves thread is a pendant trap of another, and even more subtle sort?

I've always enjoyed counterpoint and unresolved ambiguity.

Dharmakirti writes: mind is originally pure; the defilements are adventitious.

Adventitious. A lovely word.

Crippled_Newsie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 7024

posted 03 February 2005 06:53 PM      Profile for Crippled_Newsie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There's a fun website that gives definitions of business buzzwords.

It also hands out awards for the most 'buzzed' business copy. This week's winner:

quote:
SDRC and Asera Inc. today announced a multi-phase strategic alliance to integrate SDRC's I-DEAS mechanical design automation and SDRC's TeamCenter collaborative product management solutions, including specific functionality from Metaphase and Accelis, with Asera's eBusiness Operating System. The alliance will enable expanded collaborative commerce across product design, configuration, order management, supply chain management, and product service and support addressing the needs of enterprises and private exchanges in industries such as automotive, aerospace, high tech, and industrial machinery. The two companies will be initiating a combined go-to-market sales and marketing strategy targeting key customers and prospects in these industries.....

....Customers leveraging the Asera platform will have the ability to seamlessly integrate real-time product knowledge into their enterprise eBusiness environments. Architected to provide tighter integration and deeper collaboration, the Asera Solution will enable global manufacturers to recognize greater results from collaboration, streamline efficiencies in the supply chain, and reduce costs.

Arrrggggg!

From: It's all about the thumpa thumpa. | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca