FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Things Change

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Things Change
beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 25 March 2004 06:45 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know that they say that you can't go home, and all that.... But some things have really changed for the worse.

Cheesies don't taste like Cheesies anymore.

Double Bubble is different and doesn't make really great bubbles and loses its flavor rapidly.

And Orange Crush doesn't have that same tingle that makes it feel like its in your nose.

Something is seriously wrong with the junk food industry.

From: In my Apartment!!!! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
charlessumner
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2914

posted 25 March 2004 06:50 PM      Profile for charlessumner     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've really, really missed the old chicken flavour Mr. Noodle. Up to some point in the 90s, when the seasoning came in the foil packet with the pictures of the chicken printed on? I've had fantasies about becoming wealthy and powerful enough to get the Mr. Noodle people to make me custom batches from the old recipe, though they'd have to modify that in turn now that I'm vegetarian.
From: closer everyday | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 25 March 2004 07:19 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Double Bubble is different and doesn't make really great bubbles and loses its flavor rapidly.

Ah, but kuba, the real question is, whether Double Bubble loses its flavour on the bedpost overnight.

(Calling al-Qa'bong... al-Qa'bong, to the oldies courtesy phone, please... al-Qa'bong, to the oldies phone...)

I don't recall Double Bubble ever making really good bubbles, but then again I may be thinking of that really lousy gum that came with hockey cards, gum not too different in form from the cardboard it was packaged with. Then again II, maybe after one or two experiences of getting gum or bubbles stuck in my hair or to my clothes or something, I wasn't that much of a bubblegum guy.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 25 March 2004 08:41 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hated it when Fruit Loops added those new flavors. At least Lucky Charms still tastes the same.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stephen Gordon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4600

posted 25 March 2004 08:58 PM      Profile for Stephen Gordon        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They stopped selling the Zesty Cheese Doritos here. Now whenever I go back home, I stock up.
Anchoress
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4650

posted 25 March 2004 09:53 PM      Profile for Anchoress     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kuba, maybe it's not the foods changing... maybe it's your taste buds? Our sense of taste, particularly for strong savoury flavours, dulls as we age. Part of the reason why olives and blue cheese are an acquired taste.
From: Vancouver babblers' meetup July 9 @ Cafe Deux Soleil! | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 25 March 2004 09:57 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm still in the process of acquiring a taste -- let's say a tolerance -- for blue cheese. I long since learned to love olives, but definitely hated them as a kid.

On the other hand I used to love sweets and no longer do.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 25 March 2004 10:03 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
when i was young enough that a quarter would buy a bag of old dutch chips and a bottle of pop, i was hooked on onion and garlic chips, and Fresca.
i miss the pre-smoking bite of killer toxic junk sometimes

beverly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 5064

posted 26 March 2004 03:16 PM      Profile for beverly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No no 'lance double bubble was nothing like that stick of pink chalk that you got in baseball cards.

Yes, I've heard that too; your taste buds change overtime.

Ahhhhhhhhh Old Dutch Salt and Vinegar chips, and a can of grape crush on a dusty hot summer day. And it only cost our parent a mere few cents to get us out of their hair.

From: In my Apartment!!!! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 27 March 2004 12:20 AM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah... it's like that with hot/spicy Indian foods. My extended family feeds the kids spicier and spicier food, and of course, the more taste buds that are killed in the process, the higher our spice tolerance.

Having accidentally taken some food from the "adult" plate at family get-togethers, I have several dead taste buds taking up space, and a rather high spice tolerance. (The numbness at first bite was fun. )

From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 27 March 2004 11:11 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This isn't junk food -- but corn on the cob used to taste different -- and much much better! -- because it really was different.

The supersweet stuff was a fun exotic variant when it first appeared (70s?), but then it took over the market and drove all the old-fashioned savory corn out.

I would give anything for old-fashioned corn.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 27 March 2004 11:24 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At the Jean-Talon Market here, and I would presume at some other farmers' markets, it is possible to get an all-yellow corn that isn't really the Golden Bantam of yore, but much more "savoury" and less sweet than the super-sweet, that tastes like candy.

Perhaps some babblers with a garden large enough for a few rows of corn would be interested in looking into heirloom seeds. I'm sure slow food has something on the subject of real corn.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 27 March 2004 11:29 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
lagatta: When the season comes, send me some by courier, COD.

Are there such things as heirloom seeds, or were you just kidding?

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 27 March 2004 11:48 AM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heirloom seeds - SERIOUS thread drift from the original topic of artificially-flavoured junk food!

Preserving heirloom seeds and heirloom varieties is an important goal of organic farmers and of the slow food movement. Here is a Canadian site: http://www.seeds.ca/en.htm

They managed to bring back the lovely Montreal Melon, and many other heirloom varieties.

Corn, or maize, is one of the Three Sisters of the Aboriginal peoples of Northeastern North America.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
windymustang
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4509

posted 27 March 2004 06:01 PM      Profile for windymustang     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You are on the right track as to why corn on the cob doesn't taste the same anymore. It is now mostly GMO corn. So buy it from an organic market and you'll get that same old taste.

Yes, the original double bubble was the best. Actually, we bought a huge amount of mini double bubble for Halloween and it tasted just like the old stuff. Could it be because it was fresh? We were fortunate??? and didn't have too many trick or treaters, so pigged out on it for weeks, blowing the best bubbles for years.

Another thing I miss is Chalet Barbeque that we used to get when I was a kid in Montreal. Now we lived in Montreal West and I'm not sure where it was. It could have been NDG. But I can still remember the taste of that chicken and the sauce...incredible...

OK, now I'm hungry...guess I'll go boil and egg...

From: from the locker of Mad Mary Flint | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca