babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Happy CANADA Day, to all the babblers

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Happy CANADA Day, to all the babblers
Lard Tunderin' Jeezus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1275

posted 27 June 2003 04:33 PM      Profile for Lard Tunderin' Jeezus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
....just in case I'm not around.

Enjoy!!!

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 27 June 2003 05:00 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And a happy DOMINION Day to you, Lard 'tunderin'.

Sorry, but I insist on being an old fogey. Or at least not being a (shudder) Liberal.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 27 June 2003 05:06 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Happy Moving Day from Québec!

(Hey - an upside to my cycling injury! Nobody will ask m to help them move! )

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
kuba walda
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3134

posted 27 June 2003 05:22 PM      Profile for kuba walda        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Happy Party Whereever You Are

From - Folk Fest on the Inner Harbour, Victoria

redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 27 June 2003 05:39 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
may you all celebrate a safe , proud and enjoyable holiday.
shut off your computer, hug your kids and have a water fight with as many people as you can involve. laugh out loud.
what a country.

oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 27 June 2003 06:19 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skdadl:
And a happy DOMINION Day to you, Lard 'tunderin'.

Sorry, but I insist on being an old fogey. Or at least not being a (shudder) Liberal.

And the same to you all. Skdadl, do you have the Red Ensign flying from the porch?

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 27 June 2003 06:52 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Skdadl, do you have the Red Ensign flying from the porch?

ahem! (mi-mi-mi...)

"The People's Flag is deepest red,
It shrouded oft our martyred dead..."

...er, wrong Red Flag, hey? Ah, well.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 27 June 2003 06:58 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw small Canadian flags while I was out today. I was tempted to pick one up for Canada Day, but I felt a distaste for anything resembling flag-waving.

Which is weird, because I used to have no problem with wearing or waving Canadian flags on Canada Day - I used to love it. But now there seems to be so much more invested in waving a flag than there was a few years ago. Now it feels like, instead of just saying, "Hey, it's Canada Day, it's beautiful out, and what a nice country I live in," waving a flag now could mean anything from, "Canada is better than everyone else!" to "This is a symbol of our way of life which we must protect at all costs from evildoers!"

I guess all the flag-waving we've seen from south of the border since September 11th has really changed the way I feel about flags, even our own. Pity, really. Red and white on July 1st is really a hoot.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meowful
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4177

posted 27 June 2003 07:13 PM      Profile for Meowful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, Michelle, it is so sad that you feel that way! It's been the opposite for me. I used to be kinda ho-hum on the whole Canada Day thing... until all this crapola with 9/11, terrorists, Iraq, Mad Cow, Sars, Anti-Canadianism, Anti-Americanism, unfair trade practices, and *whew* stuff started flying around...

As of late, I see Canadians with much more pride than before. It's pulled Canadians together in a "them against us" mentality...in Bush's words, "either with us or against us". Canada went with the "against" group. This group consists not only of Canadians, but of people all over the world, including the US.

The other day my son's school held an end-of-the-year assembly and the kids all sang songs about Canada. The anthem, This Land is Our Land, etc. It literally brought tears to my eyes. I looked around at the crowd of parents, seeing people from all nations... I just wanted to reach out and hug 'em all!

I love Canada! and have never felt more patriotic to, or protective of (like a mother bear!) my country.

From: British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 27 June 2003 07:19 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But that's what I mean. I don't want my flag waving on Canada Day to be interpreted as an "us vs. them" thing. For me, Canada Day used to just be a big party, a celebration of being happy to be here. I feel it's just as jingoistic to wave a Canadian flag to differentiate ourselves from Americans as it is for Americans to wave their flags to differentiate themselves from "evildoers".

See what I mean?

I'm not saying the feeling is logical. I'm kind of sad not to feel like waving a flag anymore. But these days, flags just seem to me to be divisive. They're symbols that, lately, have been used to stifle debate and end critical thought. They've turned into sacred cows, and so have all the buzzwords people use when they think of what the flag represents.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 27 June 2003 07:29 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A couple of weeks ago, there was an American flag on top of Citadel Hill.

Gave me quite a turn, to say the least.

A week later there was a French flag there. I don't know what's up with these flags.

I don't get the feeling Michelle describes from the flags I see around here. There aren't a lot of them and most of them are on monuments or hotels, and I like it that way. To me, the flags just say "Look, we're still here! This flag is YOUR flag!" And they tell me that despite what Americans may or may not have said about us lately, we're still here - as ourselves, not as a counterpart to the Americans - and we're proud of what we are.

But I can see how a person would be turned off flags altogether at this point. In which case I'd say - go watch the fireworks or listen to Stan Rogers or do nothing at all, and don't worry about it. It's just one symbol, and we've got hundreds.

[ 27 June 2003: Message edited by: Smith ]

Meowful
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 4177

posted 27 June 2003 07:30 PM      Profile for Meowful   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, it is sad that we have been polarized to opposite sides of the fence because of symbols (ie. flags) and invisible borders. But attitude also plays a role in dividing us.

And yah, it does seem like an act of defiance -- "Hey, I AM CANADIAN" -- whilst waving the flag around. But maybe now is the time for defiance rather than compliance. Canadians have always been known for complacency but times they are a changin'.

I want to be a defiant Canadian *stands up and flexes muscles*, to stand up for what is right for our country.

So party and celebrate this wonderful, diverse, open-minded country!

From: British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Smith
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3192

posted 27 June 2003 07:33 PM      Profile for Smith     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Idunno. I wouldn't go to the States or another country and wave a Canadian flag around like that, because it seems rude. (Or, well, I'm annoyed when tourists pull up to the ferry docks in a bus that says "GOD BLESS AMERICA" on it and I don't want to be a hypocrite.) But here? Hell yeah.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca