FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » To everyone

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: To everyone
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 20 April 2003 05:38 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Happy Easter!

(Or as the politically correct might say, Happy egg-laying bunny day!)

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
bakunin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3991

posted 20 April 2003 06:03 PM      Profile for bakunin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
so is easter resurrection day? "day of the living dead"? or is easter the day jesus got nailed to the cross?
From: we may not convince you but we'll convince your children | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 20 April 2003 06:04 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Easter is resurrection day. It's Good Friday that Christians observe the crucifixion.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
verbatim
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 569

posted 20 April 2003 06:08 PM      Profile for verbatim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ressurection Day. Good Friday (why is it good, you may ask) is the day of the Crucifixion.
From: The People's Republic of Cook Street | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 20 April 2003 06:17 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bakunin, are you being facetious? For Christian believers (I am not one), Easter is indeed the day of the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and Good Friday (which in Latin languages we can Holy Friday, which always seemed to make more sense to me) is the day Christians believe Jesus was crucified.

Whether or not one believes in any religion, crucifixion certainly existed and was part of the long history of cruel punishments people have managed to devise. For a secular take on crucifixion, see the film "Spartacus" about crucifixion as a cruel punishment meted out to rebellious slaves.

I have no problem wishing people a Happy Easter. The origins of the Germanic term Easter are pagan - it is a Spring festival, the French "Joyeuses Pâques" commes from the Hebrew Pessah (Passover). The Last Supper was a Passover Seder.

I think us heathens should take advantage of any holiday that involves food and drink .

But more seriously, a lot of people have also taken these holidays as occasions to protest evils or challenge the powers that be. Many Christians in groups like ACAT (Christian movement against torture) have made the Good Friday story a moment to reflect on torture, and the liberation narrative of Passover has been used by many Jews, and Christians as well, the most dramatic examples being the slave spirituals and references to "Moses" in the Underground Railroad, to say nothing of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising.

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 20 April 2003 06:55 PM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Good Friday (why is it good, you may ask)

Any holiday on a Friday makes it a Good Friday.

From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
bakunin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3991

posted 20 April 2003 09:00 PM      Profile for bakunin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
holidays in general tend to be good.

lagatta, i was serious. i didn't no which it is.

From: we may not convince you but we'll convince your children | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
rob.leblanc
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2475

posted 20 April 2003 11:55 PM      Profile for rob.leblanc     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My question is, what does an egg-laying bunny rabbit have to do with the resurrection of Christ?
From: Where am I? Where are YOU? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 21 April 2003 12:29 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Eggs and bunnies are pagan fertility images. The Xians co-opted them and adapted them to the ressurection image of easter.

Our culture is making yet further adaptations. Now, among the chocolate bunnies and eggs, one can find chocolate motorcycles and trucks, as well as other toys.

Sacrilege?

Where is the chocolate Jesus on the crucifix, I ask?

From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 21 April 2003 02:29 AM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HA! That should be a hot seller, I can see it now!
From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Debra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 117

posted 21 April 2003 10:07 AM      Profile for Debra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When will you people learn not to say these kinds of things out loud.

You just know that around easter next year someone is going to be innocently surfing the web when suddenly these items will appear at a heretofor unknown website.

From: The only difference between graffiti & philosophy is the word fuck... | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 21 April 2003 10:55 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ha, my son got a chocolate "tool kit" from his grandparents - little tools like saws and hammers and whatnot made out of chocolate. I got a kick out of that. He got a lot more loot from the grandparents than he did from me, or "the Easter Bunny", that's for sure!
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ValleyGirl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2315

posted 21 April 2003 11:22 AM      Profile for ValleyGirl        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We had the usual Sugarfest,here.Then,we watched JC Superstar.That's about as far as I want to go with religion.It does tell the Easter story(The Christian version anyhow)and the music is great.
From: Slocan;British Columbia | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dr. Mr. Ben
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3265

posted 21 April 2003 11:36 AM      Profile for Dr. Mr. Ben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, the CBC did not take my suggestion and re-broadcast "The Open Grave". It was a telefilm from 1962 that I was assigned in my Canadian film class last term.

Modern allegory of the Easter story, with Jesus as a Canadian peace activist who convinces munitions workers to strike, and then is framed for murder and executed by the government. The movie picks up three days later, when his grave has been opened and the body is missing. The story is reconstructed through CBC news coverage, using real reporters (including a young Alex Trebek).

Interestingly, this is what I condsider to be among the best treatments of the material I have ever seen, and it was conceived and directed by an atheist. But that allows him to get to the core of the message, without being too hung up on the details.

From: Mechaslovakia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 21 April 2003 12:17 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Where is the chocolate Jesus on the crucifix, I ask?

I suspect it's out there somewhere. After all, Tom Waits did a song about it a few years ago, and as we know, he's nothing if not a realist.

quote:
Well it's got to be a chocolate Jesus
Make me feel good inside
Got to be a chocolate Jesus
Keep me satisfied

Well I don't want no Anna Zabba
Don't want no Almond Joy
There ain't nothing better
Suitable for this boy
Well it's the only thing
That can pick me up
Better than a cup of gold
See only a chocolate Jesus
Can satisfy my soul

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Debra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 117

posted 21 April 2003 12:22 PM      Profile for Debra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.jesusoftheweek.com/jesii/230/
From: The only difference between graffiti & philosophy is the word fuck... | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 21 April 2003 08:10 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Happy Chocolate Day!
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 21 April 2003 09:58 PM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
http://www.jesusoftheweek.com/jesii/230/

LOL, that gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "OH SWEET JESUS!"

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Debra
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 117

posted 21 April 2003 10:07 PM      Profile for Debra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

bakunin
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3991

posted 21 April 2003 11:21 PM      Profile for bakunin     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
has anyone actually seen chocalate jesus' nailed to chocalate crosses? it could actually be a good source of income if they don't already exist.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca