babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » am I the only here who has had...

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: am I the only here who has had...
Pellaken
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3428

posted 03 April 2003 05:56 PM      Profile for Pellaken     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
bavarian poutine.
(as opposed to quebec poutine)
to make bavarian poutine you must
take the potatos, and you grate them. then, you take some more, potatos, and you boil them. you only boil a few (near 5%) then, you take the water out of the grated ones, you put them into a dish cloth, then you squeeze the water out of it, so its dry. then, you take the boiled ones, and you mash them. then you mix the two togehtor, then you kneede it like bread, untill its really mixed. then, you take some in your hand, and you make a little cup. take some pork/bacon, and cut it up into small peices, take that meet, and put it in the center of the cup, then close the cup to make a ball. then you put it in boiling water, and you simmer it for an hour, and its done!
lostsa acadians eat them
all this according to my acadian grandmother.

From: UPEI or at home in S-Side, PEI | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 03 April 2003 06:14 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pellaken, the Scots have a dish very like this, but I shall have to go do some research to find its proper name.

This isn't, eg, Culcannon potatoes, which are potatoes with boiled cabbage mashed into them. (Delish, let me tell you.)

And I don't think it's Stovies, although Stovies may be close.

The English do something called Bubble and Squeak that is close to what you describe. It ends up looking like an enormous pancake, or a potato pizza.

The bacon is the problem for the Scottish dishes. There weren't a lot of pigs running about the Highlands.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 03 April 2003 06:25 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not the four-hooved variety, but some of the Sassenach...

By the way, in French the dish is called "poutine râpée".

From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pellaken
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3428

posted 06 April 2003 12:35 PM      Profile for Pellaken     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yes, it's also called poutine râpée. is it really that un-popular?? 2 responces??? one of which sounds gross
swirrlygrrl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2170

posted 06 April 2003 01:50 PM      Profile for swirrlygrrl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Somebody was telling me about Newfoundland's version of poutine recently - apparently it has ground meat and peas and other weird things. As a lover of classic Quebecois poutine, I say down with the bastardizations!
From: the bushes outside your house | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vee
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3477

posted 06 April 2003 07:44 PM      Profile for Vee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pellaken, what you described sounds like somehting I have eaten in Sweden. I have no idea what they called it, but it was good!
Pellaken
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3428

posted 06 April 2003 09:43 PM      Profile for Pellaken     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
they look like puffy and slimey gray balls... but they are good!!

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca