FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Numbers vs. Names

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Numbers vs. Names
SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 02 April 2003 04:42 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I couldn't really figure out where to put this, but oh well....

I've been noticing that the American forces in Iraq don't seem to work on a regimental system like in Canada and the UK. Am I wrong about that?

I for one, (as a cadet affiliated with the Royals), that a regimental system lets a unit develop history, esprit de corps, etc.

I mean, would you rather be with... say... the Canadian Military Engineer regiment, or with the "529 Field Engineer Company".

Random thought of mine....

From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 02 April 2003 05:04 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I for one, (as a cadet affiliated with the Royals), that a regimental system lets a unit develop history, esprit de corps, etc.

Do you want to be the one to tell the 101st Airborne that they don't have history, esprit de corps, etc. ?

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 02 April 2003 05:10 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Based on what I know, units like the 101st Airborne are the exception rather than the rule.

EG: One of the American POW's is from the 500-something quartermaster company.

It seems so much more dignifed without the numbers.

With regiments, every unit is unique. You're not the "101"'st Grenadier Guards, you're the Grenadier Guards.

I find it a lot easier to find pride in a regiment (with its own history, colours, history, cap brass, dress uniform design, brass buttons) than I do in anything preceded by a number.

From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca