babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Would you sell Canada if the price was right?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Would you sell Canada if the price was right?
Kindred
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3285

posted 30 March 2003 07:31 PM      Profile for Kindred     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This came up in discussion one night in a pub - "what would you do if the US came into Canada and offered every single person a million dollars US to "sell" your country to them?"

I am sad to say more than a few Cdns yelled "sold" and those most opposed who were angered by this response were "born again CanAmericans" who had moved to Canada and "discovered God and Gods country" is actually north of the border and had become citizens of Canada.

A few Cdns said they would hold out for five million US before selling.

The thought occurred to me (after the fact, dang it) that IF we all became Americans, fairly wealthy ones, we would also have a vote in the US and maybe some financial clout as well. Wondering what kind of damage we could do down there with that vote?

Maybe we could run "one of ours" for Pres?

From: British Columbia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 31 March 2003 02:10 AM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
how much is a vote worth?
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 31 March 2003 02:18 AM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why does the price of something always come in dollars?
I'd sell Canada for nothing short of an honest, egalitarian, decent world government.

From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gir Draxon
leftist-rightie and rightist-leftie
Babbler # 3804

posted 31 March 2003 02:26 AM      Profile for Gir Draxon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would not sell the whole country for any price.

However, if I could, I would sell Toronto to the US for $5 (USD of course).

From: Arkham Asylum | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mohamad Khan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1752

posted 31 March 2003 09:24 AM      Profile for Mohamad Khan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
jah. and pawn off all the immigrants.
From: "Glorified Harlem": Morningside Heights, NYC | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 31 March 2003 10:55 AM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We've already been sold.
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Secret Agent Style
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2077

posted 31 March 2003 11:00 AM      Profile for Secret Agent Style        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You can get someone to do pretty much anything for $1 million, unless the person is already rich.

But then again, Argentina's offer of $1 million each to Brits on the Falkland Islands to change their citizenships from British to Argentinian was rejected.

I learned about that on TV Nation a few years ago. Michael Moore went to Liverpool, in an area of high unemployment, and asked people if they'd change their citizenships to Argentinian for $1 million, and many of them said yes. He then went to an Argentinian embassy to tell them about the offer, but they said no.

[ 31 March 2003: Message edited by: Andy Social ]

Kindred
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3285

posted 31 March 2003 03:27 PM      Profile for Kindred     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought it was a pretty scary thought, in terms of dollar value the US could do it. As you say you can buy pretty much anything if the offer is right.

I said I wouldnt sell Canada for any amount of money, and I would like to believe I really mean that. I might consider selling Ontario and Quebec

paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 31 March 2003 04:07 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe Winston Churchill once approached a married woman and asked if she might consider sleeping with him for a rather large amount of money. She said she probably would.

He then suggested a rather small sum. She became quite indignant and asked Churchill just what kind of woman he thought she was.

"Madame," he supposedly said. "We have already determined what kind of woman you are. Now it is a simple matter of setting the price."

From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tommy_Paine
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 214

posted 31 March 2003 04:17 PM      Profile for Tommy_Paine     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder what 32 million new millinaires would do to inflation?
From: The Alley, Behind Montgomery's Tavern | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kindred
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3285

posted 31 March 2003 04:22 PM      Profile for Kindred     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Supposedly 32 million new millionaires would be the US's problem - or at least those who chose to remain and become Americans. A Can/American who was in on this discussion and said she wouldnt sell out, also said in order to sway the political environment of the US we would have to change the constitution. Given I am not exactly an expert on American politics or the system there I dont know how this would have to work.

The idea of having a new voice in politics and policy of the US would be an attractive one. However I fear our numbers arent great enough to take over by infiltration ..

Puetski Murder
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3790

posted 31 March 2003 09:48 PM      Profile for Puetski Murder     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder if you sold your share, what would you be? There is no way I consider myself I default American. Would I default to my parents' country of origin?
Kindred
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3285

posted 31 March 2003 10:06 PM      Profile for Kindred     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I dunno, I guess we would in theory become Americans if we sold out - as for moving to a country of our origins, Norway is pretty darn cold for the most part, compared to here.
Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 31 March 2003 10:20 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, well, England's rather damp for my taste. And most of us would wind up in several places at once... I know very few Canadians who are second or third (or fifth or sixth) generation who are of only one extraction.

Besides, Britain didn't want my grandfather (a Barnardo boy, child immigrant against his will), so I wouldn't want Britain. Not keen on what's going on over there these days anyway.

I'd try to move to Scandinavia or the south of France.

From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca