babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » What have THEY done for us lately?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: What have THEY done for us lately?
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 28 March 2003 02:35 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the spirit of that other thread, let's talk about what You Nice States has done for us poor downtrodden Canucks of late.

Well, they have kept our media and reporters busy with their warmongering for openers. . . .

Fire at will! (So to speak)

From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Will
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2439

posted 28 March 2003 02:50 PM      Profile for Will     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey??
From: there's a way | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 28 March 2003 02:57 PM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Bwahaha!

From: Believe in ideas, not ideology | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 28 March 2003 02:58 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hee hee.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Will
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2439

posted 28 March 2003 03:04 PM      Profile for Will     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

How's this? They've made some of our leaders sound intelligent and reasoned by comparision.

Well not really. I'm still thinking.

From: there's a way | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
kuba walda
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3134

posted 28 March 2003 03:05 PM      Profile for kuba walda        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They remind us that over all Canada is a great place to live.
Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 28 March 2003 03:20 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They've made it next to impossible to see our own films on the big screen, save for a few major centres, thus hobbling the development of our indiginous feature film industry.

Sorry. Pet peeve.

From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 28 March 2003 03:22 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That was "Fire at will," not "Fire at Will!" Important distinction.
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 28 March 2003 03:23 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
They've made it next to impossible to see our own films on the big screen, save for a few major centres, thus hobbling the development of our indiginous feature film industry.

Yes, this gravels my ass too. Periodically I resolve to go see every Canadian film as it comes out, on general principles, only to find that I'd need to track them practically on a daily basis -- the ones that make it to the screen here in benighted Calgary (or even back in Vancouver) coming and going too fast for me to be leisurely about it.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 28 March 2003 03:26 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh sweet jebus, don't get me started on how the US throttled the canadian film industry in its crib...

[ 28 March 2003: Message edited by: ronb ]

Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 28 March 2003 03:42 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We're not dead yet!

Yes, 'lance, it makes me crazy when we've got one venue for non-Hollywood films, and it shows films only 4 nights a week. Very aggravating.

Add to that the fact that, unlike nearly every other country that does trade with the US, we do not have regulations on a percentage of time/cinema space for showing indiginous film, and if we try to now, we're infringing on trade agreements...

To top it off, Telefilm now requires you to have a nice fat distribution agreement before you can access their funding... How the fuck do you distribute a theatrical release in a market where a foreign interest controls the screens?!

Nevertheless... I shot titles for a short yesterday, I am in production on a documentary and I have plans for a feature to be shot within the next 2 years. I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 28 March 2003 03:48 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Go Zoot! Illegitimatus non carborundum!

Edited to add:

Just thought of something. Hate to quote myself, but...

quote:
... only to find that I'd need to track them practically on a daily basis ...

... you could likely answer this, Zoot. Does anyone run a website, or something, where maybe every week you could find out what Canadian movies have been released, where they're playing, like that? It'd be a help.

Hmmm....

[ 28 March 2003: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 28 March 2003 03:58 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Documentary, short films, animation, experimental films... clearly ours is one of the most vibrant cinematic cultures in the world... soory Zoot I didn"t mean to imply that we have no film industry and no talented filmakers at all. I know that isn't true.

Keep up the fight.

Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 28 March 2003 04:11 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No offense taken, ronb. I don't think filmmaking has been entirely by choice for me, I feel forlorn if I'm out of it too long. But I am frustrated... The last federal budget upped investment in service productions from the US and cut money to indiginous Canadian films. It's been bad for a while and just got worse. It may get worse still before it gets better. Meanwhile, you have a pretty dedicated group of people making Canuck film on a shoestring, unable to afford to hire the crews that are here.

It's pretty difficult out in the regions, too, where the film and tv communities are small... "Gosh, I'd like to hire you, but...", or "I can only offer you half your usual rate...". I hate not being able to offer full pop to people I know, like and value personally and professionally. Sucks.

'lance -- I don't know of such a site, but I'll ask around. I was toying with the idea of subscribing to a TO publication that caters to the second-run crowd, can't recall the name of it at the moment, to that end. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 28 March 2003 04:46 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's see.... they've kept our truckers busy waiting in line at borders.
Willowdale Wizard
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3674

posted 28 March 2003 05:09 PM      Profile for Willowdale Wizard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i agree with all that's been said about film-making and the US.

but they did give a canadian company an oscar this year.

From: england (hometown of toronto) | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 28 March 2003 06:12 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Terrific, WW -- but do they produce any indiginous work, or are they strictly a service company?
fogbound
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3931

posted 28 March 2003 11:57 PM      Profile for fogbound     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To beat to death yet again, the same topic I've posted on other threads......the good ol' USA has now made me determined to economically support local products and Cdn. products as much as is humanly possible. larger garden this summer so as not to be caught having to buy California produce. craft fair gifts. farmer's market produce. no more advise from Home Depot.And the list goes on and on. But...oh no! no more McDonald's for me and my dog! 'sokay...we can live with it.
From: the wild, wild west | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 29 March 2003 09:32 AM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This has serious implications.
How are we supposed to raise well-adjusted children without Kraft Dinner?

From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jobes
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2579

posted 29 March 2003 10:51 AM      Profile for Jobes     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*shudder* -- no Kraft Dinner? Heaven forbid!

I was looking through the ingredients of Kraft Dinner lately, and its actually not bad for you...at all.

From: Oakville, ON, Canada | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 29 March 2003 12:18 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
How are we supposed to raise well-adjusted children without Kraft Dinner?

We're early into the experiment here, and I have no idea how "well-adjusted" they are, but the wee grils seem to be doing peachy keen without it...

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 29 March 2003 12:24 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I dunno Zoot, when they're in therapy in fifteen years, I'll wager that'll be Item Number One. Beware!
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 29 March 2003 02:49 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Didn't Mila Mulroney make a bit of a kerfluffle when she snootily opined that Kraft Dinner was a perfectly acceptable food item after university students were hollering about the Mulroney government's first round of cutbacks to university funding?
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
googlymoogly
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3819

posted 29 March 2003 03:01 PM      Profile for googlymoogly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I googled it and I can't find it; I wouldn't be too surprised if she said that though Did anyone else have better luck?
From: the fiery bowels of hell | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 29 March 2003 03:08 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I dunno, but googling on "Mila Mulroney" + macaroni produced exactly one (1) hit. Isn't that a game some people play with google, trying to find combinations of words that do that?

No. 1 on my To Do list: get life.

[ 29 March 2003: Message edited by: 'lance ]

DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 29 March 2003 03:28 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lives for sale! Cheap, only $5,999.99! Payable in easy monthly installments of $129.95!
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca