babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » What have you done for us lately?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: What have you done for us lately?
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 March 2003 04:30 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In respect of the US being all uppity and righteous over our failure to support their illegal war, and due to spineless corporate and neo-con Canada's cowering in fear of trade retaliation (you mean a higher tariff on softwood lumber?!) I thought we could remind our friends of what Canada has done for them and their security. I will start and please add to the list:

1) The hiding and smuggling of Americans out of Iran during the hostage crisis.

[ 27 March 2003: Message edited by: WingNut ]

oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 27 March 2003 05:13 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Assisting in the cover-up of CIA sponsored experiments with LSD on unsuspecting citizens in the 1960's.
From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
clockwork
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 690

posted 27 March 2003 05:16 PM      Profile for clockwork     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Took the 500 diverted jets that day America was truely threatened.
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 27 March 2003 06:14 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sending down a whole bunch of crews to fight fires in the southwest last summer. (or was it the summer before?)
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 27 March 2003 06:15 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Donating Celine Dion to caesar's palace.
Sisyphus
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1425

posted 27 March 2003 06:21 PM      Profile for Sisyphus     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
... and David Frum to the White House.
From: Never Never Land | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doug
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 44

posted 27 March 2003 06:28 PM      Profile for Doug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh dear - those two things alone ought to be enough to provoke the Americans to turn Canada into one big sheet of radioactive glass.
From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ronb
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2116

posted 27 March 2003 06:39 PM      Profile for ronb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They are our version of psy-ops. Brutally effective.
Black Dog
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2776

posted 27 March 2003 06:47 PM      Profile for Black Dog   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How about generously allowing them to spray god-knows-what sort of chemical concoctions on Canadian troops at CFB Suffield.
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 March 2003 08:43 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On the same theme as oldgoat, I know I was part of an army of Canadians who went to the mid-west in the early 90's to rebuild after massive flooding.
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 27 March 2003 08:47 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
William Shatner, Michael J. Fox, Robert Goulet... hmmm... better re-think this...

Edited to add:

Gott in Himmel! I'd forgotten all about Jim Carrey!

[ 27 March 2003: Message edited by: 'lance ]

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 March 2003 09:18 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Turn the National Post vote on US ambassador's insulting remarks around! Vote fast.

http://www.nationalpost.com/postvote/

fatcalf
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3859

posted 27 March 2003 10:16 PM      Profile for fatcalf        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another waste of time:

quote:
Turn the National Post vote on US ambassador's insulting remarks around! Vote fast.

WingNut
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1292

posted 27 March 2003 10:26 PM      Profile for WingNut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It might be a waste of time. You are a waste of brain. Lalalala
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 27 March 2003 11:16 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Didn't we send down people when they had their big ice storm?
From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 27 March 2003 11:44 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We send them expatriates.

And then some of them (like me) come back.

From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 27 March 2003 11:47 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's see, we've only just agreed to let them run their submarines under our northern ice floes for no charge...
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 28 March 2003 10:37 AM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The best doctors, nurses, engineers and computer programmers.

Hockey players.

Wolves.

Drinking water.

From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 28 March 2003 11:02 AM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's give them Brian Mulrooney.
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 28 March 2003 11:24 AM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The protection that comes from the international respect given to OUR FLAG

This is nothing new. In my youth when backpacking through Europe popular, it was very common for Americans to get backpacks which prominently displayed the Canadian flag. They got treated a lot better.

oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 28 March 2003 11:28 AM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Let's give them Brian Mulrooney.

There has never been a time when they did not have Brian Mulrooney.

paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 28 March 2003 11:29 AM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but let's really give him to them. You know... pack up his house, hire him a moving van, settle him into a nice place near the DC Beltway.
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tommy Shanks
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3076

posted 28 March 2003 12:09 PM      Profile for Tommy Shanks     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well David Frum's is vacant.

Excuse me while I get all misty, but I think the best thing we give Americans, the average Joe or Jane on the street, is hope. Hope that there is a better way to run an inclusive, tolerant society where you don't have to worry about losing your house if your kid gets sick.

[ 28 March 2003: Message edited by: Tommy Shanks ]

fern hill
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3582

posted 28 March 2003 02:23 PM      Profile for fern hill        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
we also provided the butt of the joke for the South Park movie. "Blame Canada!" I nearly peed my pants.

[ 28 March 2003: Message edited by: fern hill ]

Will
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2439

posted 28 March 2003 02:49 PM      Profile for Will     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well David Frum's is vacant.

He sure is.

From: there's a way | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 28 March 2003 02:57 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
This is nothing new. In my youth when backpacking through Europe popular, it was very common for Americans to get backpacks which prominently displayed the Canadian flag. They got treated a lot better.

OK oldgoat, you can help settle something that's been on my mind for a while.

While I don't doubt this happened occasionally, I also don't doubt that Canadians -- for understandable if misguided reasons -- have been much inclined to exaggerate how common it was.

Did you ever meet -- either at home or abroad -- actual Americans who said they had done this? As opposed to Americans (or Canadians) with friends who had done it?

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tommy Shanks
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3076

posted 28 March 2003 03:33 PM      Profile for Tommy Shanks     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Shit 'lance, back in the day, people had maple leafs tattooed to their face. No confusion there.

Seriously, I feel the same way.

oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 28 March 2003 04:18 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Did you ever meet -- either at home or abroad -- actual Americans who said they had done this? As opposed to Americans (or Canadians) with friends who had done it?

I do not have that on direct personal experience. When I was about 20, 3 of my closer friends spent the summer bumming around Europe, and said they met a number of Americans doing the same thing, and were using Canadian flags on their backpacks for the reasons stated above. Regrettably, I was unable to join them for reasons I no longer recall. (hell, maybe I did join them and I don't recall that )

[ 28 March 2003: Message edited by: oldgoat ]

kuba walda
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3134

posted 28 March 2003 04:22 PM      Profile for kuba walda        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When I lived in Europe in the early 1990s I don't remember seeing anyone with any flags at all.... But maybe I don't remember either.

I do know that the people in the town I lived in [... It was quite small. Had a local market with the fruit stand, the baker etc.] were much nicer to us when they found out we were Canadian and apologized for thinking we were Americans.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 28 March 2003 04:22 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Regrettably, I was unable to join them for reasons I no longer recall. (hell, maybe I did join them and I don't recall that )

Ah, that's the spirit!

(By the way, shouldn't that be "100 aker wood?")

oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 28 March 2003 07:27 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
(By the way, shouldn't that be "100 aker wood?")

Oh Pooh! I think you're right.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 28 March 2003 07:40 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Duude. That's Eeyore to you.
Natalie Anne Lanoville
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 626

posted 28 March 2003 07:41 PM      Profile for Natalie Anne Lanoville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yeah, but let's really give him to them. You know... pack up his house, hire him a moving van, settle him into a nice place near the DC Beltway.

Maybe the US has the technology to do what they did to the Holodeck Moriarty in StarTrek:TNG - create a holographic replica of Mulroney's house, 12 car garage, etc, drug him and his family and move him into it, and hurl it out into wide orbit?? Or maybe to Arkansas.

quote:

When I was backpacking thru Scotland, France and Spain in 1992-3, I met several Americans who were doing it.

Natalie

(edited for grammar)

[ 28 March 2003: Message edited by: Natalie Anne Lanoville ]

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 28 March 2003 08:01 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Have we given them Stephen Harper yet? I can't remember.
From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 28 March 2003 08:01 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting. Thanks, Natalie.
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 28 March 2003 10:30 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I heard things have gotten to the point now where Europeans who know what's going on start checking up to see if a person who calls himself Canadian actually knows anything about Canada.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albireo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3052

posted 29 March 2003 01:54 AM      Profile for Albireo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey, I wonder if the hapless 20-year-old Stephen Harper travelled accross Europe with a U.S. flag on his backpack?

[ 29 March 2003: Message edited by: albireo ]

Hawkins
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3306

posted 30 March 2003 11:20 AM      Profile for Hawkins     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stephen Harper could MAKE it to Europe? I bet he would miss his stop .
From: Burlington Ont | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca