babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » A brief respite from the seriousness of the current global political situation

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: A brief respite from the seriousness of the current global political situation
dale cooper
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2946

posted 19 March 2003 12:14 PM      Profile for dale cooper     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So I was thinking - while I am somewhat terrified of the upcoming skirmish in the Middle East, it is nice to see England and France back at it again, though somewhat indirectly.

These two once-world-dominating powers have a grand history of being alternately at each others throats and ignoring each other. In my lifetime thus far, they have sadly been ignoring each other.

And I've always asked myself the question - if I was forced to, would I side with the French or the English. They have both done some great things and had some great leaders. As it is, I think I am happy to be on the side of the French. Perhaps if we're lucky, they'll re-introduce the Musketeers and we can all join.

Granted, the English have Elizabeth I on their side (though I think she would have handled things a bit differently) and enjoy their beer more than the French. But the French have their wine...

On an side note, what is the Royal familys view on the current war?

So anyway - just some thoughts to throw out there.

From: Another place | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 05 April 2003 01:02 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought perhaps a look at my makeover might amuse some of you folks.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 05 April 2003 01:38 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's very nice Dr, Conway. I love the understated use of the ginger tones. You've also accessorized nicely. Um, is that your SIN number around your neck?

dale: If you haven't already done so, you might want to read Henry V. It might convince you to reconsider your choice of sides. Things have probably changed remarkably little since then.

From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 05 April 2003 02:55 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That would be my Pseudofelinoids Anonymous ID number.

Henry V? What about King Lear, in your opinion? A rather sad story IMHO, by the way.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 05 April 2003 04:25 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Things have probably changed remarkably little since then.

I dunno, oldgoat, there have been one or two changes of note. For example, when the King's Army gave way to Oliver's Army, aka the British Army, they modernized a little, giving up the prized longbows which brought them such success at Agincourt, and taking up the blunderbuss -- in the use of which, I understand, they excel to this very day.

On the other hand, the French decided to concentrate on defence and built something called the Maginot Line, which would seem proof against the largest charge of black powder a man could pack into his musket without running the risk of ending up in Normandy -- and Picardy, and Brittany, and the Auvergne, and...

So in a re-match, my money would be on a stalemate. A three-year-or-so siege of Harfleur, followed by a face-saving retreat by the British -- say, being so disgusted by the French version of "tea" offered them in the course of a parley that they simply turned their backs in high dudgeon and sailed over the Channel and far away, to return to fight no more that day.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 05 April 2003 05:58 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Er, wasn't the Maginot Line in sort of the wrong place to guard against a British invasion?
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 05 April 2003 08:06 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
henryV , Maginot Line? time warp defense?
The Maginot Line was built between 1929 and 1940
Henry V (1413-1422 AD)
The french are always a little late and apparently they were looking in the wrong direction

[ 05 April 2003: Message edited by: redshift ]

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca