FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » One wish

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: One wish
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 18 March 2003 10:38 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You have the genie by the - ahem - tail.
Take your time and think it over.
What is your one wish?

From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 18 March 2003 11:18 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Right now, NO WAR EVER. Because of current events.
From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 18 March 2003 11:33 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Indeed. Instant world peace.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 19 March 2003 12:36 AM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
and ZAP! mass human extinction. careful what you wish for.
a little more foresight, personal responsibility and a true return to morality.
what the world needs now is love sweet love.

nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 19 March 2003 01:14 AM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My hero, Kurt Vonnegut said: less love; more common courtesy.
From 'Lawrence of Arabia' (movie buffs, feel free to correct my faulty memory): With him, mercy a passion. For me, it's just good manners. Which is the more reliable motive?

[ 19 March 2003: Message edited by: nonesuch ]

shelby9
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2193

posted 19 March 2003 01:25 AM      Profile for shelby9     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am a selfish person, I would wish for my own personal utopia. To me (and therefore to the genie one would assume) that means a husband who loves and respects me, children who aren't restaurant customer's worst nightmares, no need to be millionaires, but debt free would be nice, two cats, a house we own outright in a relatively safe area and pea popper, but still nice looking cars for the both of us. He would work full time, me probably part time at best as we have kids. Oh yeah, and no immediate health issues for us or the kids.

That's my one wish. No millions of dollars, no big house in the mountains, no swimming pools in the back yard. Just comfortable. I don't need more than that.

Dr. Mr. Ben
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3265

posted 19 March 2003 01:59 AM      Profile for Dr. Mr. Ben   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Spontaneous song and dance numbers.
From: Mechaslovakia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rebecca West
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1873

posted 19 March 2003 10:50 AM      Profile for Rebecca West     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would wish that we be a less fertile, longer-lived species. Then perhaps, in time, we would become a less violent, less stupid species as well.
From: London , Ontario - homogeneous maximus | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dale cooper
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2946

posted 19 March 2003 11:14 AM      Profile for dale cooper     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would wish that humans would have a metaphorical "cork on their fork". So we can still get things done, but we have to be very slow and careful about it and nobody can get poked in the process.

Or alternately, I would wish that all the "booby-traps" we've subconsciously laid out to destroy the planet should we all suddenly disappear (ie. waste chemicals that need to be monitored lest they leach into the water system) would be made ineffective. Cuz hey - what are the chances we're NOT going to suddenly all disappear?

From: Another place | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
angela N
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2705

posted 09 April 2003 10:52 AM      Profile for angela N   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would wish that the moment anyone were to wittingly inflict pain upon another being, they would spontaneously burst into flame.
From: The city of Townsville | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
girlpublisher
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2367

posted 09 April 2003 11:07 AM      Profile for girlpublisher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well, i hope you aren't working in the justice system, angela.

I would wish for unlimited wishes.

From: here to eternity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 09 April 2003 11:10 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hehe. If Angela got her wish, we wouldn't need a justice system.

I wish for Angela to get her wish.

From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
angela N
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2705

posted 09 April 2003 11:16 AM      Profile for angela N   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well that's the beauty of the combustion solution, - there would no longer be any need for a justice system.

We could all spend more time fly fishing without concerning ourselves with such annoyances as murder and war.

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 09 April 2003 11:20 AM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just so's I'm clear though: if I'm fly fishing and I catch a fish... I'm not going to burst into flames, am I? I don't mind a wee sunburn, but if it's flames then I take back my wish
From: ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø, | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 09 April 2003 11:21 AM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My wish is selfish, as well. I wish for all political leaders who use war to solve problems to be transported to the front lines of each and every conflict they start. I furthermore wish that an in-bed reporter covers their every move, right up to the point where they soil themselves and/or go insane from the sight of the carnage they've advocated. I would wish for world peace, but I saw the same X-files episode as redshift, so I shall refrain. I like the Simpson's take on that wish more, though:

"Run! He's got a board with a nail in it!"

From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
angela N
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2705

posted 09 April 2003 11:52 AM      Profile for angela N   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Excellent point Magoo, I hadn't thought of that.
That's gonna be tricky, perhaps we can make exceptions for food.

Mr. Magoo
guilty-pleasure
Babbler # 3469

posted 09 April 2003 12:02 PM      Profile for Mr. Magoo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not to mention an exemption for tattoo artists and the like. Can't have them bursting into flames every time the needles touch skin. Sitting on the fence over dentists though.
Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 09 April 2003 12:10 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe tattooing and fly-fishing can be done under shower heads
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
themorninglight
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3050

posted 09 April 2003 12:16 PM      Profile for themorninglight   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would wish for no more hatred.
dale cooper
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2946

posted 09 April 2003 12:26 PM      Profile for dale cooper     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At this very moment, I would be totally selfish and wish for a sour cherry slurpee and a plate of fresh fruit and the day off from work so I could go and sit under a nice tree and read all day, while drinking my slurpee and eating my fruit.

Ah heck, I'll be selfless - I wish that for everybody today!

From: Another place | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
angela N
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2705

posted 09 April 2003 12:30 PM      Profile for angela N   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
yippee for dale, that's probably the best wish yet.

There was an xfiles like this once, it was pretty funny - where the Genie comes and gives this duffus 3 wishes and he ends up killing himself.

Then mulder wishes for world peace and so the Genie exterminates human life on earth.

I really miss the xfiles.

Mandos
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 888

posted 09 April 2003 12:33 PM      Profile for Mandos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I really miss the Xfiles when they were good. I feel totally betrayed by Chris Carter. I was expecting some sort of revelation of the meaning of the Evil Alien Plan, but nein. We're as clueless about the plot as we were when the show started!
From: There, there. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 09 April 2003 12:37 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NO MORE CARS in urban areas, large and small, and the quality, accessible public transport and town planning to make that a reality.
From: Se non ora, quando? | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
angela N
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2705

posted 09 April 2003 01:02 PM      Profile for angela N   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know mandos, very disappointing about the conspiracy thread, but we must take stock of all of the non-conspiracy episodes and celebrate that which was brilliant.

I don't know how Carter could have done a better job though, it became so convoluted that you would need a huge team of geeks working around the clock for years to sort out all of the information.

Lagatta, that's a fine idea except that for a city like TO or Montreal where there is a huge residential sector in the downtown core it would be a problem.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 09 April 2003 01:09 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is a wish, eh?. Also essential for the planet. Suburban sprawl is a cancer.
lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 09 April 2003 01:09 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is a wish, eh?. Also essential for the planet. Suburban sprawl is a cancer.
angela N
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2705

posted 09 April 2003 01:15 PM      Profile for angela N   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cutdown on emmisions in urban communities is a separate issue from urban sprawl. You only get one wish eh!

There are a lot of things that I would prefer to see before that though. Universal Human Rights being on the top of that list.

lagatta
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2534

posted 09 April 2003 01:28 PM      Profile for lagatta     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, it isn't. Both require carfree towns and cities. "No blood for oil" would go a great way towards human rights, by the way.
redshift
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1675

posted 09 April 2003 02:04 PM      Profile for redshift     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
it requires decentralization of power and responsibility. that no one ever does something to anyone that they wouldn't do to their mom. then we kill the mothrf f****ers.
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 09 April 2003 06:46 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
X-files -
quote:
but we must take stock of all of the non-conspiracy episodes and celebrate that which was brilliant.
irarely watched it, but happened to catch the haunted house one, with Ed Asner. That was fun.

For my one wish:
that everyone make an honest effort (i don't expect us to succeed every time, only to keep trying) to live according to the principles we say we believe in.

Pellaken
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3428

posted 09 April 2003 07:36 PM      Profile for Pellaken     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
if I had one wish?
hummmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mmmmmm

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mmmmmmmmmm
to become Prime Minister, and have one trilliaon dollars to spend on making the country a better place?

nnnaaaawwwww

I want a hot blonde girlfriend

From: UPEI or at home in S-Side, PEI | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 09 April 2003 07:41 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My one wish right this minute is to get the formatting of the Active Topics page back the way it should be. Please pardon the intrusion.
From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pellaken
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3428

posted 09 April 2003 08:34 PM      Profile for Pellaken     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
in that case, my wish would be a re-formatting of that page so that a lllllllloooooonnnnnngggg word will not skrew it up in the first place
From: UPEI or at home in S-Side, PEI | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
bohdan
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3961

posted 10 April 2003 02:53 AM      Profile for bohdan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
someone said (was it Redshift?) the "decentralization of power".
A simple concept with a thousand positive effects.
Ironically, the very medium within which we communicate these replies is doing just that.
Heres to the WORLD WIDE WEB.

Well said Red.

The truth is though (and forgive me but someone had to say it) I would of course wish for more wishes.

al-Qa'bong
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3807

posted 10 April 2003 04:10 AM      Profile for al-Qa'bong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wish that diplomacy would have been more advanced in the summer of 1914.
From: Saskatchistan | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca