FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Cool Geeky Stuff

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Cool Geeky Stuff
xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 08 October 2002 11:31 PM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
httpcolonslashslashslashdotdotorg
From: Believe in ideas, not ideology | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 08 October 2002 11:45 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tell 'em about the "slashdot effect".
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 08 October 2002 11:56 PM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
What is the "Slashdot Effect?"
When Slashdot links a site, often a lot of readers will hit the link to read the story or see the purty pictures. This can easily throw thousands of hits at the site in minutes. Most of the time, large professional websites have no problem with this, but often a site we link will be a smaller site, used to getting only a few thousand hits a day. When all those Slashdot readers start crashing the party, it can saturate the site completely, causing the site to buckle under the strain. When this happens, the site is said to be "Slashdotted."
Recently, the terms "Slashdot Effect" and "Slashdotted" have been used more generally to refer to any short-term traffic jam at a website.

My brother just told me about this site today, I had know idea about this...COOL!!

From: Believe in ideas, not ideology | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SamL
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2199

posted 07 May 2003 10:22 PM      Profile for SamL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That gives me an idea.....

You know all those Free Dominion folks who came for the "debate"........

From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca