today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Philosophy Quiz

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Philosophy Quiz
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 September 2002 12:55 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rasmus, I'm thinking about YOU with this one...it's pretty neat.

I played against Nigel the Novice, who made smartass remarks the whole time - it was pretty funny. I won, but I still did pretty pathetic.

One point was funny - after a question that I answered, Nigel "said", "The law of averages is a wonderful thing." Then I answered another question that was pathetically easy, and it said, "That was easy. Betcha won't get the next one though." Sure enough it was some obscure question with a book title and philosophers I've never heard of. But I guessed and it was right.

And when Nigel got easy questions wrong, it said, "You realize they pay me to get the wrong answer, don't you?" Hee hee.

It's fun if you like philosophy.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pogo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2999

posted 07 September 2002 01:26 AM      Profile for Pogo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cool. Could do with less geography and dates.
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 07 September 2002 01:39 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's 10 out of 11 for me, 1 out of 2 for Advanced Arthur. When does the game end?

[ September 07, 2002: Message edited by: rasmus_raven ]

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rasmus
malcontent
Babbler # 621

posted 07 September 2002 01:48 AM      Profile for rasmus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK, I won. I beat Advanced Arthur, answering 20 out of 22 correctly -- Arthur only got 2 out of 4. Some of the questions are really dumb though. Who cares where the 1998 World Congress of Philosophy was held?

quote:
Congratulations!You have won! Advanced Arthur has been vanquished!

Your correct answers to questions ratio was: 0.91. Advanced Arthur scored a ratio of 0.50.

As you can see, as well as winning the game, you did better than Advanced Arthur overall. So I think we can conclude that you deserved to win! Well done!

From: Fortune favours the bold | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 07 September 2002 08:50 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ha! I beat Advanced Arthur once too, although not with that high a score, Rasmus. I was a little embarassed at a couple of the questions - there were philosophers whose names I had never even heard of, even in passing.

I wondered that too - who the hell cares where the next APA (or whatever conference it is) is to be held!

And I felt the same way, Pogo. Yeah, when I'm in philosophy class, the professors make it clear to us that we have to memorize the dates of birth of all the philosophers we study and the publication dates of all their significant material, because it's really important and will be on the exam. Oh, btw, NOT.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jacob Two-Two
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2092

posted 09 September 2002 01:36 AM      Profile for Jacob Two-Two     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just played and I'm very peeved.

I got four questions right in a row (all of which were total guesses) and finally got one wrong. "Oh well, can't win 'em all" I thought. Then Advanced Arthur swooped through six questions almost faster than I could read them and ended the game. What the hell! I didn't even get another chance to answer a question. What kind of a game is that?

I'm gonna try again, of course.

From: There is but one Gord and Moolah is his profit | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 09 September 2002 01:38 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, it was worse for me. I got blown away by Novice Nigel. Then again, my formalized philosophy knowledge could fit into a thimble.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pogo
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2999

posted 09 September 2002 01:44 AM      Profile for Pogo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like the connect the philosopher to their works questions and the simple definitions although I had forgotten most of what I had learned. The rest I guessed on as well. I was surprised with Peter Singer they didn't have one on his supportive views for beastiality (the love that cannot bark its name)

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: Pogo ]

[ September 09, 2002: Message edited by: Pogo ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 09 September 2002 08:42 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One of the questions asked how Michel Foucault died, and I guessed and picked "car crash". The comment was, "You're the first person to ever get that one wrong!" I looked it up on the internet afterwards - so like, how was I to know he died of AIDS? Geez.
jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 11 September 2002 01:01 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Being modest, I started out against Intermediate Ingrid. I won, but quite a few of the question were about absolutely inane (and often locally British) subjects, such as who is the Master of such-and-such a College.

I think the quiz with Advanced Arthur was easier, in the sense that it asked questions about philosophy itself. But even there, the precise date of the death of Edmund Husserl is not something I feel the need to know.

Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 12 September 2002 06:28 AM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hooo-wee! I won. Eight right in a row, giving Nigel the novice no chance to even answer one. Aparently he's so upset, he cancelled his plans to ask Intermediate Ingrid to go out for a celebration drink with him. Hmmmm, I wonder if she'd be interested in a smarty pants like me?
From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flowers By Irene
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 3012

posted 12 September 2002 06:46 AM      Profile for Flowers By Irene     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well I guess there'll be no date with Ingrid, she's 'a little miffed' that I beat her, though it was nowhere near as handily as my match v. Nigel.
From: "To ignore the facts, does not change the facts." -- Andy Rooney | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca