babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » NEED HELP WITH PASTA SALAD!!!

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: NEED HELP WITH PASTA SALAD!!!
xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 18 August 2002 10:13 PM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to cook up some late night grub and I can't decide what else to put in my pasta salad,
so far I have:
1 can of black olives
1 tin of tuna
olive oil
various spices

any suggestions??

I'm thinking about putting in a little vinegar to spruce it up a bit

From: Believe in ideas, not ideology | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 18 August 2002 10:22 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yep a shot of vinegar and try a tiny bit of cayenne pepper. Good eating.
From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
xrcrguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1562

posted 18 August 2002 10:53 PM      Profile for xrcrguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
thanks alot, dinner was great
From: Believe in ideas, not ideology | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Ziegler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 225

posted 19 August 2002 02:13 AM      Profile for Sine Ziegler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yep you need pasta

You raise a good question. I love pasta salad but I can't ever make it like they have at Safeway. What is that creamy stuff they put in it? What kind of sauce is that? I know it isn't mayo...

nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 19 August 2002 01:38 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Any creamy salad dressing will do: cucumber, caesar, ranch. Mayonnaise is fine, too. Put a little clear salad dressing in a cup, beat in a dash of mustard and a couple of tablespoons mayo.
Chopped red peppers; cucumber (or pickle, or zucchini); celery; cooked peas and/or corn if you happen to have some left over; dried tomato. Chopped fresh parsley never hurt a salad - or a little cilantro or basil (just one of those, not all three!). Mix it all up and let rest in the fridge for half and hour.

From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 19 August 2002 02:40 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
An easy pasta salad is to toss some sun-dried tomatoes, fresh basil, and olive oil into a food processor, grind it all up and mix it into your pasta. Ready in minutes! Pine nuts can be a nice addition too.
From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Ziegler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 225

posted 19 August 2002 05:07 PM      Profile for Sine Ziegler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mmm Wonderful!! I shall try.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 19 August 2002 06:04 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That sauce sounds great.

Another good thing to toss with pasta is roasted vegetables. Roast chunks of sweet (bell) peppers, zucchini, onions, and anything else you like (if you add tomatoes, add them only halfway through) -- as fall approaches, squash or eggplant might be good additions. Mushrooms, too. Toss the veggies in olive oil and coarse salt before you put them in to roast at 350, then maybe add more oil and salt at the halfway point (45 mins total).

shelby9
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2193

posted 19 August 2002 07:05 PM      Profile for shelby9     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The creamy stuff they use at Safeway and stores like it (if you're not in the West) is mayo based. Whole Egg mayo, not the Miracle Whip style mayo. They may have added seasoning, they come in a bazillion flavours from premixed packages, usually found in the pasta aisle or near wherever they keep Shake N' Bake stuff.

You can't screw up pasta salad - add whatever your fancy is and viola! Dinner.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca