babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » What will you save?

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: What will you save?
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 04 August 2002 11:46 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Come the Revolution (never mind which revolution, just so it keeps on turning), when we get rid of all the unnecessary gizmos, what single mechanical device will you bring into the post-technological age?
And which one will you discard first?

Me, i'll toss cell-phones right away.
And save backhoes. I've always admired them, since i was kid. The huge ones that chew up Toronto streets and the dainty little ones that bury phone cables. I love the way the arm bends and the precision with which the hoe moves. (A really good operator can crack a walnut so it's still edible.) I love the way it curls inward and lays its big steel head down to sleep. I love backhoes.

From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 05 August 2002 01:50 AM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll keep my computers and toss pagers and cell phones. Evil gadgets.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 05 August 2002 10:51 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I haven't used it for at least a year, but I still love my sewing machine best. I s'pose that I could do by hand everything it just does faster -- but I still love it, as I don't most machines, I guess because it's the one I learned to understand in great detail when very young.

When you said "mechanical," nonesuch, did you really mean mechanical, or something narrower like "electronic," or things with motors in? Because there's this neat little vegetable slicer I really want to get and know I will love -- I would call it mechanical, but it needs no motor but me ...

nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 05 August 2002 12:31 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I meant electrical or gasoline-powered. But you can make up your own categories: include any machine you like - or hate.
scrabble
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2883

posted 14 August 2002 03:08 AM      Profile for scrabble     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Keep: shiny black Corona typewriter in original carry-case

Toss: GPS

Keep: radio (all sorts)

Toss: electronic automatic cat poo scoop thing

Keep: fridge

Toss: PDA

Keep: filofax

Toss: missile guidance system

Keep: fountain pens

Toss: currency

[ August 14, 2002: Message edited by: scrabble ]

From: dappled shade in the forest | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 14 August 2002 10:04 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think I would keep my cell phone, but I have a good excuse - when I got my cell phone, I disconnected my land-line. So I don't think the world is any better or worse off if I use one or the other.

I would keep my electric mixer, but toss my juicer (which I'm pretty much planning to do anyhow).

I would keep my fridge but toss my microwave, glorified water heater, defroster, and popcorn popper that it is.

I would keep my stereo and toss my television.

I would keep my food processor but toss my curling iron and blow-dryer - and just grow my hair long so that it doesn't need to be styled with heat.

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jacques Hughes
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2974

posted 15 August 2002 03:14 PM      Profile for Jacques Hughes     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You own:

A cell phone;

an electric mixer;

a juicer;

a fridge;

a microwave;

a water heater;

a defroster;

a popcorn popper;

a stereo;

a television;

a food processor;

a curling iron;

and a blow-dryer.

Long Live the Revolution.

From: corner of ego and te absolvo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 15 August 2002 03:31 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
'Cusing others of hypocrisy, Jacques, is usually a risky proposition.
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
oldgoat
Babbler # 1130

posted 15 August 2002 03:46 PM      Profile for oldgoat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't care what anyone says, I'm keepin' my Pez dispensor.
From: The 10th circle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Briguy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1885

posted 15 August 2002 04:06 PM      Profile for Briguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm going to keep my fan. Especially this week.
From: No one is arguing that we should run the space program based on Physics 101. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
scrabble
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2883

posted 15 August 2002 04:40 PM      Profile for scrabble     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
!!

Just realized I cheated; don't own anything I put in the "toss" category. (Although I'm betting nonesuch doesn't have a backhoe, so maybe that's not the point.)

Toss: alarm clock (because my kinda revolution would obviate the need for one, hopefully)

Keep: antique piano

From: dappled shade in the forest | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 15 August 2002 04:51 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Toss: alarm clock (because my kinda revolution would obviate the need for one, hopefully)

The first thing we do, let's kill all the clocks. (Not, of course, clockwork, whom we love).

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 15 August 2002 09:41 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a stove too. I guess I'm the first to the scaffold.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 15 August 2002 11:41 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sentence first, verdict afterwards! Off with her head!
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 16 August 2002 12:45 AM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't own a backhoe. But will liberate one - probably a little yellow one - during the revolution. I promise to make it happy.

Of the things i own now, the food processor stays. The clock is already broken.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca