babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Snip snip - or is that, sizzle sizzle

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Snip snip - or is that, sizzle sizzle
MJ
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 441

posted 23 July 2002 01:36 PM      Profile for MJ     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Click.

quote:
KABUL (Reuters) - Turkish troops leading the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) for Afghanistan won friends among hundreds of Afghan families Tuesday after army doctors carried out a mass circumcision of boys who had missed the important Muslim ceremony for one reason or another.

Army doctors from the prestigious Gulhame Military Medical academy in Turkey circumcised more than 90 boys Tuesday and plan to perform the operation on up to 200 others over the next two days...

..But the Turkish operation -- while yielding to tradition -- was a strictly medical procedure with a local anaesthetic being applied before the foreskin was removed with a sort of soldering- iron gun that cuts through the flesh and seals the wound behind it at the same time.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 23 July 2002 04:39 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The lack of response on this thread, by males particularly, is probably a comment on something or other.
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 23 July 2002 05:29 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, well, we'll have to remedy that, won't we?

I'm not laughing. I'm not laughing. I noted this about the traditional Afghan procedure:

quote:
If the boys are lucky, they will be plunged into an icy stream before the ritual in order to numb any pain.

So I could see that the Turkish gizmo probably is quite a neat advance. And imagine an officer of anyone's armed forces who would say this:

quote:
"Wherever we travel, we like to help the community by doing these sort of things -- even at the rural areas at home."

I thought it all sounded very cheerful and sensitive. Yes, sensitive. This sounded a bit long, though:

quote:
"It takes about five to eight minutes to do each person," an army doctor told Reuters. "If you want, I would be happy to do you and your colleagues."

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 23 July 2002 05:37 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe this belongs in Body and Soul (I'm not inclined to make jokes, either).

I suppose, if you believe that circumcision is necessary, it's as well to have it done medically rather than traditionally.

But that remains a pretty big if, to me. I'll still not be convinced it's anything other than an absurd and unnecessary, even cruel, procedure. But then, I couldn't begin to believe in a god who cared in the slightest whether or not I had a foreskin.

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 23 July 2002 05:41 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Drat. I was so laughing. I was so sure that 'lance would be able to tell.
Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 23 July 2002 05:51 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm so glad I have girls....

Actually, medically speaking, the risks of problems occurring if you keep the foreskin (cancer, infections, etc.) is about 2%, whereas the chances of problems resulting from circumcision (accidents, infections, etc.) are about 3-4%.

From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 23 July 2002 05:52 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Drat. I was so laughing. I was so sure that 'lance would be able to tell.

Drat II. I'm tired today.

See skdadl, I was thinking way, waaaaay back to when there was another thread along similar lines, and lots of (male) posters were making jokes, and then some anti-feminist sort said something like 'if this were about women, these jokes would be misogynist,' and then you pointed out that all the jokers were male, or something like that. So I took you literally, above.

But then, maybe the repeated word 'sensitive' should have tipped me off...

[ July 23, 2002: Message edited by: 'lance ]

skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 23 July 2002 05:57 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oooh ... bad pun, baaaaad pun. Congratulations!

(Drat III: I was looking for puns m'self, but just couldn't find any good -- er, bad -- enough ones.)

I quite enjoyed the thought of the Reuters crew considering such a gracious offer.

MJ
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 441

posted 23 July 2002 05:59 PM      Profile for MJ     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The part that made me laugh a bit was this:

quote:
The boys being circumcised Tuesday -- aged between two and 11 -- were a mixture of ashen-faced fear and confused apprehension as they awaited their turn with the team of eight surgeons and their assistants.

I can imagine they *would* be a little ashen-faced. Ah, we live such soft lives here in the west.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 23 July 2002 06:01 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I quite enjoyed the thought of the Reuters crew considering such a gracious offer.

Yes, it's lucky notebooks are a lot lighter than TV cameras, or the sudden urge to cross their legs would have sent them stumbling.

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca