babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » Memo to self ... Huh????

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: Memo to self ... Huh????
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 12 July 2002 02:44 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do you ever scribble down notes when you're on the phone -- a phone number here, an address or a date there -- and then add the note to the Things To Do pile and walk away for a while ... like a few days, or weeks ... And then come back to discover you haven't the faintest hope of remembering what the damn note was about?

I'm looking at one right now. It says: #38087, July 4th. I wrote it, no question. I can even remember what I was doing on 4 July. But I cannot for the life of me remember what #38087 might be about -- gee, but I hope it wasn't a winning contest number or something like that ...

I also have a couple of orphan phone numbers here. If anyone has been expecting me to call back and is annoyed that I haven't, could you send me a PM maybe?

And all guesses about #38087 welcome.

paxamillion
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2836

posted 12 July 2002 03:05 PM      Profile for paxamillion   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I used to write down phone numbers when I checked voice mail on various scraps of paper. I few days later I'd wonder what the number was, and was too sheepish to call it to remind myself. So, I got an organizer. Now, I put a name and number into the organizer. My organizer now has a bunch of names and numbers of people that I have no recollection about whatsoever.
From: the process of recovery | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 12 July 2002 03:29 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm the same way. I scribble down phone #'s on old receipts and such, and then they get lost into the ever-shifting pile on my computer desk. Arg! And of course I don't have a personal disorganizer either.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 12 July 2002 04:44 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I write things down on bits of paper, and when I find them again, I almost always remember what they are.... Finding them again is the trick. I have an organizer stuffed with bits, pieces and odds and ends. Stuff just gets lost in the shuffle.

I'm particularly bad about parking tickets... I remember every detail of when and how and where I got them, but do you think I can remember to pay the damned fine on time?

From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 12 July 2002 04:55 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That looks like an account number. Bank? Satellite tv? Internet server? Hydro? Maybe you were supposed to call some other department about service or billing and refer to that number?

I had two of those on the white-board beside the calendar. Guess who cleaned the board - again! - without copying it. Other numbers, dates, e-mail addresses, codes, lists, long-past gallery openings and expired membership cards are pinned to the cork-board, where they never get lost - just papered over.

From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 12 July 2002 08:13 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm with you, skdadl. Right in front of me there is a note that says: Progesterin only. This phrase has a big circle around it, with a line through it. Am I on crack?
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 12 July 2002 08:22 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My best guesses are:

1. A police file number if you reported something.
2. A confirmation code for an internet or phone transaction through your bank account or credit card.
3. A service ticket, say if you called up the phone company or your utility company, or any place that does repairs or warrantee work - to refer to when you call back about the call.
4. A courier confirmation or tracing code so you can trace your package if it doesn't arrive.

Or any other similar type of reference number that will allow anyone providing you a service to trace your goods or transaction or conversation?

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 12 July 2002 08:35 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Or, perhaps is it is a code for something nefarious????
From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
audra trower williams
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2

posted 15 July 2002 08:26 PM      Profile for audra trower williams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyone know a "Rick Fodor"? I seem to have his phone number on a piece of paper.
From: And I'm a look you in the eye for every bar of the chorus | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 20 July 2002 11:16 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, what was it???
From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca