FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » another trivia question

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: another trivia question
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 11 July 2002 10:21 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What currency has been in use from prehistoric times to the present?
From: coming and going | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
sherpafish
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1568

posted 11 July 2002 10:46 PM      Profile for sherpafish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
teeth -->
From: intra-crainial razor dust | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 12 July 2002 12:06 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trade.
From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 12 July 2002 12:23 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
sex?
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 12 July 2002 12:39 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 12 July 2002 02:44 AM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cattle
From: Borrioboola-Gha | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
peacepiper
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2489

posted 12 July 2002 03:51 AM      Profile for peacepiper     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
jelly beans
goodgoditsnottrue
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2401

posted 12 July 2002 09:43 AM      Profile for goodgoditsnottrue   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cattle are probably the oldest of all forms of money, as domestication of animals tended to precede the cultivation of crops, and were still used for that purpose in parts of Africa in the middle of the 20th century.

From the history of money web site.

Is that cheating?

Interesting site nonetheless. Arch was bang on as usual.

nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 12 July 2002 10:34 AM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's not cheating, if you looked up cattle specifically, because you already thought it was so.
And i guess it must be correct, though my source names a different currnecy - which i believe is even older.

Michelle's answer is also probably correct, but my source doesn't mention it. (Because it's a family publication?)

Think of a Roman soldier's salary.

(We'll pass on the teeth, if you don't mind.)

[ July 12, 2002: Message edited by: nonesuch ]

peacepiper
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2489

posted 12 July 2002 10:47 AM      Profile for peacepiper     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
pez?
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 12 July 2002 10:49 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The ocean is full of it.
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 12 July 2002 11:13 AM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
and peacepiper is just the opposite
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 12 July 2002 12:33 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
kelp?
Trisha
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 387

posted 12 July 2002 12:37 PM      Profile for Trisha     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
salt or other food?
From: Thunder Bay, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 12 July 2002 02:02 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Salt. Most definitely.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
goodgoditsnottrue
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2401

posted 12 July 2002 04:21 PM      Profile for goodgoditsnottrue   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Naaaw, cattles be everywhere, salt is site specific.
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 12 July 2002 04:45 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Salt. It's not found everywhere, but is needed everywhere; takes a some effort to obtain, and is more portable (especially over water!), storable and divisible than cattle.
Cattle are pretty good, though.
So is sex, but not everyone wants to buy and not everyone is equally ... er... marketable.

But i like jellybeans best. That should be our next global currency. Portable, storable (i have some about 5 years old, a bit tough, but still ok), mostly harmless; hard to imagine killing for them (and we could probably have it certified by the Canadian Dental Association).

Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 12 July 2002 04:47 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Salt. Most definitely.

Leading to the phrase "worth his/her salt"?

From: Urban prairie. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 12 July 2002 04:49 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't care for jelly beans... How about chocolate?
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 12 July 2002 04:50 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Zoot: You're correct about the derivation of that expression.
From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 12 July 2002 04:54 PM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How can you say that jelly beans are portable? Have you ever tried holding a handful of jelly beans for more than a minute or so, especially in this heat? Ew -- sticky paws!

Salt makes sense. The fact that it is site-specific but much needed by everyone would have made it more valuable, certainly a desirable form of wages. We don't seem to be much in need of it now, especially given fridges. But when the electricity dies, as die it well may ...

nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 12 July 2002 05:17 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's why we have jelly-bean bags, with a pull-string that loops on the belt.

Chocolate? But people would kill for chocolate! And it's even stickier. There is always pez, or whatever those candies are that kids wear as a necklace.

Salt is also the origing of 'salary'. And one's social importance being measured by whether one is seated 'above' or 'below' the salt, and the reason for those fantastically ornate silver contraptions in which it was served.

Timebandit
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1448

posted 12 July 2002 06:13 PM      Profile for Timebandit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm, you're right about chocolate... Does tend to melt... And I'd be more inclined to save rather than eat my fortune in one sitting... Jelly beans it is!
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 12 July 2002 08:43 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nuts.
goodgoditsnottrue
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2401

posted 12 July 2002 09:34 PM      Profile for goodgoditsnottrue   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cattle....
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 12 July 2002 10:16 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nuts would be fine. Cattle are just too messy!

[ July 12, 2002: Message edited by: nonesuch ]

goodgoditsnottrue
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2401

posted 12 July 2002 11:12 PM      Profile for goodgoditsnottrue   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cattle!
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 12 July 2002 11:52 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My my, GGINT,

You're sounding rather Nietzschean today.

skadie
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2072

posted 13 July 2002 03:54 AM      Profile for skadie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
fish
From: near the ocean | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 13 July 2002 09:33 AM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyone got change for a steer? That would be - what? - a couple tuna, five pollack and four mackerel.
(and i thought cattle were messy to carry around!)

[ July 13, 2002: Message edited by: nonesuch ]

sherpafish
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1568

posted 16 July 2002 12:35 AM      Profile for sherpafish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SOME fish are quite clean, thank you very much!

('cept us bottom-feeders that is )

jeff house
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 518

posted 16 July 2002 05:36 PM      Profile for jeff house     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
wood pulp
Sine Ziegler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 225

posted 16 July 2002 05:42 PM      Profile for Sine Ziegler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can we have a new trivia question Nonesuch?!?!
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 16 July 2002 09:05 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, here is something different.

Everyone knows that cattle come in herds, fish swim around in schools or shoals; lions collect in prides.
What's the collective term for:
turtles
quail
woodpeckers
and ravens?

If you don't know, make one up.
If you don't like these, add others.

'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 16 July 2002 09:09 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
a gulp of turtles
a quiver of quail
a headache of woodpeckers
a trick of ravens

(I made these up)

From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 16 July 2002 09:17 PM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What do you call a gathering of Canadians ?
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 16 July 2002 09:27 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A can'a Canadians.

(Hey, an inspiration for a new song! To the tune of "Karma Chameleon":

"Can 'a, can 'a, can 'a, can 'a
can 'a Canadians!
They come and go...
They come and go-o-o-o!")

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 16 July 2002 09:53 PM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nope.

Funny story.

I can't remember if I came up with this myself or if I overheard some people talking, but in the summer 2000 I went down the mountain to my pal's shack on salt spring to play some chess and have a chinwag and I told him the answer to the question "what do you call a group of Canadians" and he picked up the telephone and called Bill Richardson's show - Richardson's Round-up.

A day or two later I'm at my place listening to Richardson's Roundup when I hear my pal's kooky voice "Heeeellooo Sad Goat !! Do you know how we have a gaggle of geese, and a murder of crows and so forth ? What do you call a gathering of Canadians ?" in his bizarre and highly affected speech manner, " A hatred of Americans !!"

The strange thing is this; that I really can't remember if I made that up or if I overheard it. (used to smoke widgets)

sherpafish
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1568

posted 17 July 2002 03:08 AM      Profile for sherpafish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
a hurdle of turtles
a huddle of quail
a pocket of woodpeckers
a scrum of ravens

and sherpafish just don't come in plural form

nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 17 July 2002 02:09 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
?pocket?

Turtles come in a bale. I'm not making this up. Also sez here: a drift of hogs.

LotusGrrrl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1555

posted 17 July 2002 08:20 PM      Profile for LotusGrrrl        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
nonesuch,

is your query cleverly disguised as a pun?
I believe currency is a play on current?

Anyhoo, I think bartering is the answer.

Sine Ziegler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 225

posted 17 July 2002 09:48 PM      Profile for Sine Ziegler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A whack of Woodpeckers
A gathering of quail

???? This is tough!!

nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 18 July 2002 01:35 AM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Currency was last week's topic. No pun intended. (Barter is good, but has its down-side. I once gave a kid pottery lessons in exchange for the use of his dad's pickup truck. We bought one before the end of the course and never collected. Still, the kid had fun, made a passable lamp and was okay company.)

How hard can it be to invent stuff?
If you're a stickler for accuracy, just put in the ones you do know.

a bevy of quail
a float of crocodiles

(the raven one is best... and that is a pun)

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: nonesuch ]

Zatamon
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1394

posted 18 July 2002 08:00 AM      Profile for Zatamon     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
nonesuch, how can we be sure that you are not making this all up?
From: where hope for 'hope' is contemplated | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 18 July 2002 05:40 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cose i said so.

a crash of rhinos
a labour of moles

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 19 July 2002 10:21 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have one, pretty easy. What is the fundemental difference between a hare and a rabbit?
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 19 July 2002 11:16 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
(the raven one is best... and that is a pun)

By this, do you mean the official answer? And have we had the official answer yet?

I'm thinking of our own rasmus_raven, and trying to come up with a word. But then there's always good ole EAPoe -- a croak of ravens? a quoth of ravens?

Does anything come in congregations of? convocations of?

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 19 July 2002 11:35 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A rave of ravens?
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 19 July 2002 11:53 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A wisp of ravens.
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 19 July 2002 12:21 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
a descent of woodpeckers
a charm of finches
a sleuth of bears
(These were all from a book called 'What Makes Flamingos Pink?')
.....and....
a singularity of ravens
(Because ravens are solitary; to see a group of them together is unusual, or singular. I got this one from Ruth Rendell.)
I do like 'rave' and 'quoth', although the people who made up these expressions lived too long ago to appreciate the aptness. 'Wisp' is kind of romantic - it's nice to see somebody attributing delicacy to the klunky old raven.

Rabbit and hare? I think the difference is size: hares are bigger, have longer hind legs and ears.

Sine Ziegler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 225

posted 19 July 2002 12:37 PM      Profile for Sine Ziegler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hares are hairier
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 19 July 2002 12:51 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nope. nonesuch you are right but that is not the fundemental difference.

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: clersal ]

nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 19 July 2002 01:07 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Then i resort to Sherpafish's universal answer.
teeth

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 19 July 2002 01:21 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even nopier. Hint: It has to do with birth.
Sine Ziegler
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 225

posted 19 July 2002 01:50 PM      Profile for Sine Ziegler     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One is a male, the other is a female. I am guessing rabbit is the female. Une Lapin.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 19 July 2002 01:57 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow, we're really splitting hares now.
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 19 July 2002 02:00 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you expect me to bite on this one, Michelle, you're barking 'round the wrong rabbit hole.
From: that enchanted place on the top of the Forest | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 19 July 2002 02:01 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now 'lance, no need to get rabbit, foaming at the mouth and all...
'lance
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1064

posted 19 July 2002 02:03 PM      Profile for 'lance     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nothing to see here, folks. Hop along, please...
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 19 July 2002 02:43 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rabbits are like kittens, with closed eyes and quite helpless, while hares run around and fend for themselves right away.

Wait a sec'. I can't leave without a song

"Carrots are divine
You get a dozen for a dime

It's magic."

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: Arch Stanton ]

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 19 July 2002 03:10 PM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You are the closest Arch. Hares are born with fur and their eyes open. Rabbits furless with closed eyes. I don't know whether hares can fend for themselves at birth though.

That is the reason that rabbits can not survive in the northern climes.

Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 19 July 2002 06:07 PM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't know whether hares can fend for themselves at birth though

Well, I said it so it must be true.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 19 July 2002 08:27 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We couldn't doubt a hare on your head, Arch.
scrabble
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2883

posted 19 July 2002 08:28 PM      Profile for scrabble     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Being a geek, I collect these.

It's unkindness of ravens. Dunno about turtles or woodpeckers or quails.

My favourite is lamentation of swans.

From: dappled shade in the forest | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 19 July 2002 08:34 PM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
what about a 'hatred of americans' for a group of canadians ?
scrabble
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2883

posted 19 July 2002 08:36 PM      Profile for scrabble     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
nonesuch, as it happens, there's a Ruth Rendell book called An Unkindness of Ravens. Can't remember a thing else about it, except that it was $3 at a garage sale.
scrabble
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2883

posted 19 July 2002 08:43 PM      Profile for scrabble     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just found a site that collects collective nouns.

Claims it's a bevy of quail, a descent of woodpeckers and ...still no luck with turtles!

I like pocket better.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 19 July 2002 08:55 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A conspiracy of ravens.
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 20 July 2002 12:28 AM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're right about Ruth Rendell. If i misremembered that, what else may i be wrong about?!!

The other stuff was from the Pink Flamingo book, so i'm not responsible.
They do have a bale of turtles, a bevy of quail - and they give swans as a wedge. Also an army of frogs, a murder of crows, a shrewdness of apes, a cast (or kettle) of hawks, a clowder (not chowder!) of cats, a leap of leopards. It's possible that different expressions were used in different regions, or times.

[ July 20, 2002: Message edited by: nonesuch ]

radio
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 808

posted 20 July 2002 01:59 PM      Profile for radio     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's a conspiracy of CEOs.
A bungle of bureaucrats.
A prevarication of politicians.
A swindle of lawyers.

What was the original question?

From: Gore Bay, Ontario | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 20 July 2002 02:34 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
100% correct.
(Make that 98%, in deference to exceptions - especially among lawyers.)

a gripe of farmers
a preponderance of philosphers
a surplus of accountants
a jealousy of actors

scrabble
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2883

posted 20 July 2002 08:16 PM      Profile for scrabble     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...a porkchop of labour apparatchiks (like me! )

an inspiration of social activists
a fiery quill of letters to neocon MLAs
a squandering of glorious summer afternoons of babblers

nonesuch, honey, we're going off the rails - a blight of neologisms, a confusion of digressions - next trivia question, please.

scrabble
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2883

posted 20 July 2002 08:19 PM      Profile for scrabble     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...but i still like pocket of peckers.

(Swans are a wedge only if they're in flight in formation, btw)

nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 20 July 2002 08:27 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK
Not squandering, exactly: i only come here to rest up in the cool, between chores and meals.

By the way, i'm not in charge of trivia.
Anyone can post a question.

I wonder how one would go about making scrabble puzzles in this format? I'll give it a ponder over nachos.

[ July 20, 2002: Message edited by: nonesuch ]

aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 22 July 2002 03:10 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While I see where the salt answer comes from, can I suggest another?

Flint. Specifically, good flint for making stone tools. We know high-quality stone has been moved around extensively in the past. Flint from South Dakota turns up in Ontario, obsidian from northern BC shows up in the US Midwest. Similar trading links are present in the "Old World". Does passing good toolmaking stone around, person to person, predate the salt trade? I'm inclined to say yes, but finding archaeological evidence of salt trading will be nigh impossible in almost all situations. Also, does a nodule of nice flint count as "money"? For that matter, does salt?

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 22 July 2002 10:10 AM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jellybeans!

Of course, you're right. Also obsidian, shells, gourds, fish, nuts cattle, horn, and probably teeth. There are no wrong answers in a truly free market.

(Aw, chocolate! I've gone to a second page. Should have left it alone.)

[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: nonesuch ]

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 22 July 2002 10:14 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The teeth. They would be traded for what? How does one come upon teeth? Perhaps used for jewellery?
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 22 July 2002 10:30 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My ex told me once that saffron was a trading item in South Asia, because it is hard to make and is always used.
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 22 July 2002 08:02 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, yeah! I forgot spices. Saffron is especially valuable, since it's such a damn fussy plant to grow. Peppercorns, cloves (long known as an analgesic), cumin, mustard, caraway, poppyseed. Also coffee and cocoa beans.
(I finally saw the film 'Choclat' the other night. Liked it.)

The teeth used in trade would be those of large carnivores (make good tools) or tusks of elephant, narwhal and walrus (ivory still has a very high black-market value - unfortunately for the creatures who need those teeth to survive).

flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 22 July 2002 08:15 PM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Saffron - the stamen of the crocus flower.
flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 22 July 2002 08:16 PM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Coloured beads - cokri shells - prescious stones -
nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 22 July 2002 08:30 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
... cork, copper, quartz, women, ebony...
flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 22 July 2002 09:32 PM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
- ivory - salt - stories - soma ...

note: salt is the principal trade good of the saharan nomads who call themselves mu'ab.

The tuareg, on the other hand trade in fear, spells, and potions, while trading off of the fear that has risen- like a rumour of plague - around these fascinating people.

note: saffron is a product of ancient Persia but most saffron today comes from Spain. Many restaurants claim to use saffron when they really are using tumeric.

flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 22 July 2002 09:35 PM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ah, sweet vanilla - the seed-pod of a Madagascaran orchid.

Also a trade good of Bali.

nonsuch
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1402

posted 22 July 2002 09:41 PM      Profile for nonsuch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
(and marigold blossoms for colour)

... furs, glass, tea, charcoal, jade...

I can keep this up as long as you can. The question is: should we?

[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: nonesuch ]

flotsom
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2832

posted 23 July 2002 01:10 AM      Profile for flotsom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ah...pencils ?

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca