babble home
rabble.ca - news for the rest of us
today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » On the Subject of Computer Peripherals

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: On the Subject of Computer Peripherals
DrConway
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 490

posted 01 July 2002 03:17 PM      Profile for DrConway     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
What began as a discussion of the naked larceny perpetrated by printer manufacturers instead became some kind of bizarre skit, which is just fine by me. I've heard that Hewlett-Packard has a printer in the works that is actually cheaper to throw in the garbage and buy a new one than it is to replace the cartridges, and I'm torn between thinking they're a pack of brigands and thinking they're the smartest bunch of (censored to preserve the sensibilities of those who don't hit the URL)

Read here.

From: You shall not side with the great against the powerless. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 01 July 2002 03:26 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It seems to me I read recently that someone is suing HP because the "economy" cartridges that come with new printers are only half full of ink.

Frankly I'm not paying a lot of attention to HP because I think they're going down anyway. The merger with Compaq was a bad move and while it will ensure that Fiorona and a few others are wealthy for life, it won't save HP or Compaq.

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Slick Willy
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 184

posted 01 July 2002 04:06 PM      Profile for Slick Willy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know about you guys but I use the cartrage refill kits on my Cannon. I print only black text 98 percent of the time but for me it works great and I am still using the same ink cartrage for atleast 2.5 years now.
abnormal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1245

posted 21 July 2002 08:12 PM      Profile for abnormal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just picked up a new printer and the sales clerk commented that at least when they were on sale the bottom of the line printers were in fact already cheaper than the replacement ink cartridges.
From: far, far away | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
aRoused
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1962

posted 22 July 2002 02:58 AM      Profile for aRoused     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A buddy of mine who works for an office supplies warehouse chain just had to talk some guy out of buying a bottom of the line printer instead of buying cartridge refills.

It seems that the preloaded cartridge is, in fact, a half cartridge. But beyond that, the customer was having some difficulties understanding that the print quality on the bottom-rung printers might not be all that hot.

From: The King's Royal Burgh of Eoforwich | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca