today's active topics

FAQ | Forum Home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» babble   » right brain babble   » babble banter   » testing one two three

Email this thread to someone!    
Author Topic: testing one two three
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 June 2002 10:47 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
just checking something out here.
From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 June 2002 10:50 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can we see too?
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 June 2002 10:50 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cool! I just discovered that you can save a thread in its entirety to your hard drive! Not only that, but if someone edits or erases their messages, you will still have a copy of the thread in its original condition, before they edit.

My curiosity was piqued when I read DrC's post regarding how Mimichekele deleted a ton of his past posts (wow, did he ever delete a lot of them!)

From: I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 08 June 2002 10:56 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In my techno-innocence, I've just copied a few gems into WP files. But tell us how you did what you did.

My selection so far is pretty modest, but I have one especially fun file, eg, called "Tiger Droppings," and several complete sets of profiles, saved for comparison when I noticed that one frequent reincarnator was revising his old ones.

I love a good detective story. Don't we all?

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 08 June 2002 11:01 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All you do, to save the thread in its entirety is to go to the top of your browser window while it's on the page you want to save, click on "File", and then from the dropdown menu, click on "Save As". A window will pop up asking you where you want to save it on your computer (usually in "My Documents" I would think), and then when it's where you want it to be, you click the "Save" button.

Then you have a copy of the thread, and even if people delete or edit their messages later, you have the thread exactly as it is when you saved it.

As it is, I've saved the threads that DrC found where Mimichekele was threatening to go to Bnai Brith and federal anti-bias witnesses, etc. over the stuff he found on babble, so if he edits his posts later, as he did with a huge number of his earlier posts, I'll still have the originals. I'm sure Doc did the same thing, but it was just neat because I discovered it all on my own.

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 14 June 2002 12:41 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: Michelle ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 14 June 2002 12:42 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
COOL!
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 14 June 2002 01:00 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's great. I can post listening.
From: Canton Marchand, Québec | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 14 June 2002 01:04 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 14 June 2002 01:05 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well that sucks. Ha!
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 14 June 2002 01:10 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The problem is that it follows one around even when I changed threads.
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 14 June 2002 01:12 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Michelle it never stops. I don't care as I never have my speakers on. Anyhow I am not sure of the idea.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 14 June 2002 01:15 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There, is that better, clersal? Sorry about that.

How did you handle it when Tom Moore posted that imbedded song in the "cats" thread?

Also, the way to turn it off in this thread, you just hit the "stop" button on that little radio thingy in the post.

But I erased it so that it wouldn't mess up your babbling. heh.

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 14 June 2002 01:20 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Shit it is still going on. It is the same as Tom Moore's??????
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 14 June 2002 01:22 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, I didn't post the same thing as Tom Moore! I posted a little swing ditty. I completely erased the source code and URL for it, so it can't be mine you're hearing, surely!

Check and see whether it's opened your media player from your own computer, maybe, and then close the media playing program (like, say, Windows Media Player or Real Player, or whatever).

I'm sorry about that, clersal - I didn't realize there would be a problem since Tom did the first embedded song a few weeks ago and nobody seemed to have that problem.

clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 14 June 2002 01:23 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am trying to find the thread that Tom Moore posted on. Shit.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 14 June 2002 01:24 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Also, check and see how many babble windows you have open in your browser. If you've still got the window with the thread with the music open, then it's going to keep playing because it's on a continuous loop. Close all your browser windows except the one you're using, and maybe that will help...
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 14 June 2002 01:27 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Okay, you were right. What thread was Tom Moore in. I can't seem to find it.
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 14 June 2002 01:34 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Found the thread. Thanks. I will check out the Cats thread. I didn't know. Nite.
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 14 June 2002 01:39 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I heard nothing on the cats thread. I presume because it is closed. No sound.
Arch Stanton
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2356

posted 14 June 2002 01:54 AM      Profile for Arch Stanton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tom Moore put a sound file on the May Day thread.
Every time you'd go there , there'd be lousy music playing.

From: Borrioboola-Gha | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 14 June 2002 01:56 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How come when I mande the search he had only one post???? Something screwy. The Mayday was a while ago right?
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 14 June 2002 02:05 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It has been deleted. I just checked. Nite.
skdadl
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 478

posted 14 June 2002 10:06 AM      Profile for skdadl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What the hell were you guys doing? I can't hear anything ...
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 14 June 2002 10:10 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm just curious - I'm going to put another one in this thread but try to make it so it doesn't play unless you hit play...can you tell me if it works for you?

Cool. That works for me.

Clersal, Tom Moore also put another one of those things in the second page of the now-closed "Cats" thread, accompanying that photoshopped picture of the gigantic, fat cat.

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: Michelle ]

sherpafish
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1568

posted 14 June 2002 10:25 AM      Profile for sherpafish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw the title of this tread and all I could think was...
quote:
a one, two, three to the four. Y2khai and his girl at the door...

PS. Michelle, Lou Reed is rolling in his not yet dug grave!

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: sherpafish ]

From: intra-crainial razor dust | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
clersal
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 370

posted 14 June 2002 10:26 AM      Profile for clersal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is the one I checked, the closed cats thread. No sound.
Yep your's works fine. I can turn it off.

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: clersal ]

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 July 2002 02:05 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just testing again.
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 July 2002 02:07 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is anyone having trouble editing their posts today? I just had a private message from one babbler reporting that she is unable to edit her posts.
Trinitty
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 826

posted 18 July 2002 02:28 PM      Profile for Trinitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: Trinitty ]

pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 18 July 2002 02:33 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Michelle: Is anyone having trouble editing their posts today?

I had a problem doing an original post earlier today. I was almost ready to Add Reply when I got the "This program has performed an illegal operation." error and ended up having to reboot. Since I'm posting from Windows 98 SE, which ain't perfect, I assumed it was my problem and not yours, but if you want to take responsibility that's perfectly alright with me.

Edited for grammar and to see if the edit works OK.

[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: Slim ]

From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 July 2002 02:40 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nah, that's IE's fault, I think. This problem that I asked about has been solved - apparently you can't edit posts in closed threads.
pogge
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2440

posted 18 July 2002 02:44 PM      Profile for pogge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It can't be IE's fault since I'm using Mozilla. But it can certainly be Windows and not your message board software. But you asked.
From: Why is this a required field? | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 18 July 2002 03:35 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, I did. Thanks for your answer.
Trespasser
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1204

posted 27 July 2002 01:22 PM      Profile for Trespasser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
just testing graphics here

YEAH! I learned it, I learned it, thanks to clock!

[ July 27, 2002: Message edited by: Trespasser ]

Trespasser
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 1204

posted 27 July 2002 01:30 PM      Profile for Trespasser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
more women philosophers just because

Mary Wollstonecraft

Sor Juana

Madame de Stael

Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 27 July 2002 09:43 PM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was fascinated to learn about Sor Juana in first year. I didn't read any of her stuff, but I was thrilled at the thought of a woman living a life of independence and reflection way back when, and especially in a culture where women were second-class citizens
Remark's
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2175

posted 29 July 2002 11:39 PM      Profile for Remark's     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Michelle...........lol

Are you the one on the left or the right in the Saturday Night sketch on NPR

I'm teasing. You're great.

From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
xanthist
recent-rabble-rouser
Babbler # 2923

posted 31 July 2002 09:32 AM      Profile for xanthist     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's a bummer that I can't post pictures from my hard drive on here! I know I can get a web page but I'm a bit dubious of the free variety!
Michelle
Babbler # 560

posted 03 August 2002 02:10 AM      Profile for Michelle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remark's: What's NPR? I haven't seen SNL in ages except for one or two episodes in the last several years.
meades
rabble-rouser
Babbler # 625

posted 03 August 2002 02:43 AM      Profile for meades     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NPR = National Public Radio
From: Sault Ste. Marie | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific Time  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | rabble.ca | Policy Statement

Copyright 2001-2008 rabble.ca